• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Ireland - 3rd test - Saturday 23rd June 2018 - Sydney Football Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The decider!

The Wallabies will miss Genia badly and will need Nick Phipps to play out of his skin. Hopefully Coleman and Beale and any other injury concerns pull through.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You’d have to think Timu and BPA will be likely to lose their spots given they were yanked at half time.

Tui at option at 6 but perhaps the Tah pair of Hanigan and Latu will come straight in.

Perhaps a consideration to start Tupou over Kepu and Tui over Rodda to get some metre makers on early to bend the line a little.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The Oz are running with Tui starting at 6. Hanigan could well come onto the bench for Timu though. I think Latu will start and Phipps obviously in for Genia. Think Coleman will be right.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
People will be outraged if Hanigan gets picked ahead of Timu but on his showing so far, Timu hasn't done much to keep his spot. He's defended pretty well but his discipline was poor in the 2nd test and he hasn't done anything with his ball carrying.

I like the idea of starting Tupou.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Think Tui earned the starting spot at 6 and Hanigan perhaps could come off the bench in place of Timu but not too fussed either way. Our lineout was pretty good on Saturday, even getting a couple of steals, but not much was said about it given the loss. Tupou might be worth a shot starting, Kepu and Sio have worked pretty hard the last two games might be worth subbing them earlier at least.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
4.Rodda
5.Simmons
6.Tui

19. Arnold
20. Timu
21. Samu

Wouldn't be shocking.

Thor has probably earnt a start at this point. I thought Latu showed more than BPA but not much more.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Timu might suffer from a dose of the Timani's - good super player but not quite up to the next level. You could argue Ned suffers from the same thing at the moment however the upside might be greater.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
4.Rodda
5.Simmons
6.Tui

19. Arnold
20. Timu
21. Samu

Wouldn't be shocking.

Thor has probably earnt a start at this point. I thought Latu showed more than BPA but not much more.

I'm assuming you're assuming Coleman won't play, not be dropped?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
1. Sio
2. Latu
3. Tupou
4. Coleman
5. Arnold
6. Tui
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Koroibete
12. Beale
13. Kerevi
14. DHP
15. Folau

16. BPA 17. Robertson 18. Kepu 19. Simmons 20. Hanigan 21. Samu 22. Powell 23. Hodge

If they revert to a 5:3 bench I can see Maddocks coming into the side for a debut.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
1. Sio
2. Latu
3. Tupou
4. Coleman
5. Arnold
6. Tui
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Koroibete
12. Beale
13. Kerevi
14. DHP
15. Folau

16. BPA 17. Robertson 18. Kepu 19. Simmons 20. Hanigan 21. Samu 22. Powell 23. Hodge

If they revert to a 5:3 bench I can see Maddocks coming into the side for a debut.

Think you've probably nailed what will happen.

Reactions: dru

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Timu might suffer from a dose of the Timani's - good super player but not quite up to the next level. You could argue Ned suffers from the same thing at the moment however the upside might be greater.
It’s early days for him. Don’t think he was quite ready.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
1. Sio
2. Latu
3. Tupou
4. Coleman
5. Arnold
6. Tui
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Koroibete
12. Beale
13. Kerevi
14. DHP
15. Folau

TK into 13 and a 5-3 bench. Maddocks on the pine in place of Samu.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We need someone in the backs who can straighten the line and lead the defence.
If not TK then Hodge.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Some interesting stats from news.com.au:

Wallabies halfbacks’ success rates

WILL GENIA (at No.9): 80 Tests, won 44 (56 per cent).

With Foley: 25 Tests, won 13 (52 per cent)

NICK PHIPPS (at No.9): 28 Tests, won 13 (46 per cent).

With Foley: 18 Tests, won 7 (39 per cent)

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)

Yeah, we should totally discard Timu after just two tests.

On the other hand, we clearly haven't given Ned Hanigan enough of a chance. 12 tests (or so) is nowhere near enough to be able to tell, as he hasn't had a chance yet to show he is capable. I suggest maybe 50 or even 100 tests will be enough chance for him to have maybe one good game, and then he'll be a first pick for sure.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
People will be outraged if Hanigan gets picked ahead of Timu but on his showing so far, Timu hasn't done much to keep his spot. He's defended pretty well but his discipline was poor in the 2nd test and he hasn't done anything with his ball carrying.

I like the idea of starting Tupou.

I actually thought Timu did well ball in hand. He made one very strong run early (I think in that first phase of play that led to the try) but he gave away too many penalties.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How does picking Hanigan over Timu work when everything is about 'winning the collision' battle?

It doesn't. It addresses another issue being weakness in the lineout. Timu did not have a good game.

Anyway, I started Tui at 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.