• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
That's the last one that made the media. You seriously reckon there aren't punches thrown in training?

Do you seriously think that no other player but Quade has had a dig at the ARU behind closed doors? It's a matter of what gets publicized.

Edit: And the fact that Blooper was stupid enough to say it on national tele

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Do you seriously think that no other player but Quade has had a dig at the ARU behind closed doors? It's a matter of what gets publicized.

Edit: And the fact that Blooper was stupid enough to say it on national tele

Isn't this Dumbledore's point?

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Isn't this Dumbledore's point?

I think its fair to say that being drunk on the team bus with your shirt off, acting like an idiot and punching captains in the face is fairly close, if not as stupid, as what QC (Quade Cooper) did. To then get on the piss a week after you signed an agreement with the ARU and Rebels is even more stupid.

Throwing a few punches at training because someone puts a hit on is to be expected, I agree with that.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
They're obviously not like-for-like incidents. The difference, as I see it, is that Cooper did what he did knowing it would cause a reaction. Nothing would have come of the Beale incident if Vuna hadn't jumped on Twitter. One was a team incident behind closed doors, or at least should have been. One was on national television.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think its fair to say that being drunk on the team bus with your shirt off, acting like an idiot and punching captains in the face is fairly close, if not as stupid, as what QC (Quade Cooper) did. Throwing a few punches at training because someone puts a hit on is to be expected, surely.

I don't believe for a second that Cooper is being kept out of the Wallabies squad because of the toxic comments last year. I think it is entirely down to who Deans thinks is most likely to win him the series against the Lions.

If for a moment we do consider that those comments are the reason he's not being selected this year, it perhaps gives an indication of how dimly they were viewed at the ARU. In comparison, punching your teammate or a bouncer at a nightclub is perhaps only a mild indiscretion.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Beale was drunk, has now admitted his problems and is working through them, what is Quade's excuse?

Since when has being drunk been an ok excuse for punching someone? Plenty of drunks are not at all violent. Beale's anger and drink seem to be an issue, fixing one may not necessarily fix the other.

I am not making any excuses for Quade. He overstepped the mark. Stop making excuses for Beale.

sootyanddave

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hang on,
People love him because things happen around him,both good and bad.
The big difference is in 2011, he would directly contribute to 3 or 4 tries a game.Everyone ignored the 3 or 4 missed tackles and the half a dozen turnovers.
Fast forward to 2013, he is still good for those missed tackles,and for the turnovers.But he is light on in the try making department.
Even if you forget his toxic outburst,he is not in great form this season,and as he admitted in his outburst, it has been a long time since he has succeeded at the highest level.
The question is not why was he not selected.
The question is why would you even consider him?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's the last one that made the media. You seriously reckon there aren't punches thrown in training?

You can't compare a training scuffle to attacking your team mates when drunk, particularly when you've just been in the spotlight for another drunken altercation.........

Beale has been very lucky....... any other player would've had their contract torn up by the ARU but he's received special treatment due to his profile in the game, even after breaking the conditions of his return from the SA indiscretion just one week in.......

And if there wasn't a Lions series I doubt we'd see such a push to get him back so soon.........

Richo

John Thornett (49)
IMO, Beale playing for Randwick is utterly uncontroversial. I'm sure it's part of his re-entry program cooked up by the ARU, RUPA, the Rebels, Beale and perhaps even his counsellors.

Bugger the Lions though. I'd much prefer he focus on getting himself right rather than try to deal with the challenges of a Lions series.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
IMO, Beale playing for Randwick is utterly uncontroversial. I'm sure it's part of his re-entry program cooked up by the ARU, RUPA, the Rebels, Beale and perhaps even his counsellors.

Bugger the Lions though. I'd much prefer he focus on getting himself right rather than try to deal with the challenges of a Lions series.

I think it only becomes controversial if he's back playing with the Wallabies next month when not deemed "fit" to play for his Super Rugby side.........

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I think it only becomes controversial if he's back playing with the Wallabies next month when not deemed "fit" to play for his Super Rugby side...

Yes, that's true. One factor is what the Rebels want - maybe they don't want him back this season at all? But it would be bizarre if he's plucked from club rugby to play the Lions given all that's gone on.

On par with selecting a bloke who hasn't and won't play for a Super club this year.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
He's tied for 3rd on try assists. With JOC (James O'Connor).

true but DC is on 0 try assists and we'd all leap at him as our 10 for the tour. Stat for stat JOC (James O'Connor) is better, but stats aren't really what a flyhalf is about, we all know they're the glue that brings disparate forces together into a harnessed team. For whatever reason Quade isn't showing that this year as I hoped earlier in the year - but nor is JOC (James O'Connor). The closest I have seen is Beale last year at Super Rugby level and Beale/JOC (James O'Connor) together this year. To'omua is probably our closest but way to green.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
They're obviously not like-for-like incidents. The difference, as I see it, is that Cooper did what he did knowing it would cause a reaction. Nothing would have come of the Beale incident if Vuna hadn't jumped on Twitter. One was a team incident behind closed doors, or at least should have been. One was on national television.

I find it hard to believe he wouldn't have been stood down regardless. And if he wasn't stood down he would have had to deal with his team mates thinking he's a fluffybunny whose received special treatment.

Maybe it would have been spun in a bit better PR wise if Vuna didn't go public, but the bloke obviously needed help.

Status
Not open for further replies.