• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Yeah can't cop the prospect of Beale running out for the Wallabies at the moment. Does that mean he is only available for Sydney games where his "support network" is?

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I don't believe for a second that Cooper is being kept out of the Wallabies squad because of the toxic comments last year. I think it is entirely down to who Deans thinks is most likely to win him the series against the Lions.

I wish I shared your belief. I don't think that the toxic comment is the only reason why he wasn't selected, but I suspect it was a significant factor.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'll be shocked if Beale is picked in the Lions squad. To me it's just plain wrong. I don't see one single way in which it could even come close to being justified. The simple fact is that if the same behaviour (attacking the captain, misbehaving and punching a team mate a little after going through court for assaulting a bouncer whilst drunk) was shown by a lesser player then their contract would have been torn up (e.g. Matt Henjak's contract was torn up for punching Haig Sare after prior alcohol problems). Trying to write off punching teammates and attacking your captain as fine as getting overly physical in training is very disturbing.

But I'm not going to harp on about it (Beale's selection) until it does happen.

Let's just see how Beale goes in the next two weeks for Randwick and hope that his rehabilitation continues. Beale's rehabilitation will be long and ongoing, you can't change alcohol issues in a few short months. Hence, if he's stuck in Sydney for support purposes and not playing for the Rebels, he's really not able to travel with the Wallabies either.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
In a few words, after having a date with a judge, he should have known better. To brush it off as being nothing is a gross disservice.
Ah okay. I wasn't trying to brush it off. All I was saying was in comparing the Cooper and Beale incidents, the Cooper one was deliberately public while Beale's was a team incident that only became public because of Vuna's tweet.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Let's take a deep breath, Ash, and wait and see what transpires.

Beale's situation should be judged on its merits. There are factors at play which you, and I, are not privy to, in terms of the treatment he has been undergoing, and the reasons for it, and its likely success.

Frankly, I would love nothing more than to see a fully fit, completely recovered, Kurtley Beale taking the field against the Lions. Because, at his best, he is one of our very best players.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'll be shocked if Beale is picked in the Lions squad. To me it's just plain wrong. I don't see one single way in which it could even come close to being justified. The simple fact is that if the same behaviour (attacking the captain, misbehaving and punching a team mate a little after going through court for assaulting a bouncer whilst drunk) was shown by a lesser player then their contract would have been torn up (e.g. Matt Henjak's contract was torn up for punching Haig Sare after prior alcohol problems). Trying to write off punching teammates and attacking your captain as fine as getting overly physical in training is very disturbing.

But I'm not going to harp on about it (Beale's selection) until it does happen.

Let's just see how Beale goes in the next two weeks for Randwick and hope that his rehabilitation continues. Beale's rehabilitation will be long and ongoing, you can't change alcohol issues in a few short months. Hence, if he's stuck in Sydney for support purposes and not playing for the Rebels, he's really not able to travel with the Wallabies either.
Ash, by no means am I condoning KB (Kurtley Beale)'s behaviour.
But he still has a few more indiscretions left,before he has burned as many chances as Henjak.
And broken jaws are always taken very seriously.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Let's take a deep breath, Ash, and wait and see what transpires.

Beale's situation should be judged on its merits. There are factors at play which you, and I, are not privy to, in terms of the treatment he has been undergoing, and the reasons for it, and its likely success.

Frankly, I would love nothing more than to see a fully fit, completely recovered, Kurtley Beale taking the field against the Lions. Because, at his best, he is one of our very best players.

The last I will say on it is:

I would also love a fully fit Beale playing for the Wallabies. But.....

Rehabilitation takes months, if not year, for a person with alcohol issues. Many will never get rid of it, it will be a life long battle.

Beale is not rejoining the Rebels to play for them in the next two weeks to stay close to his support network. So, he instead plays club rugby in Sydney, to not travel away to Melbourne for training and games.

Yet somehow there is an expectation that Beale will be OK to join the Wallabies squad which will also be located in Brisbane and Melbourne apart from his Sydney support network. So, he cannot rejoin the Rebels outside of Sydney, yet he can join the Wallabies.

The guy doesn't need the pressure of a Lions test. Playing lower-pressure club rugby is actually an ideal stepping stone for a while. If Beale does return vs the Lions, and his head isn't right, he is likely to set his rehabilitation back a long way. Is that a risk you (or more precisely, the ARU) are willing to take? If Beale was ready for the Lions, Beale would be ready for the Rebels.

The fact is, we don't know if Beale is fully fit, or right in his own head, or at his best best, until he would run out on the field. We have no clue where he is or is not in that kind of pressure situation. And now it turns out, all Beale would get before the Lions test would be a single, solitary run off the bench for Randwick. How can you use that to judge anything?

That kind of risk for a mercurial confidence player like Beale that could be a long term asset, or rewarding a player like Mogg for their good form this year? It's a no brainer for me.

That is before we even get to the question if Beale's behaviour this year warrants that should get a shot at the Lions when he has barely player Supe all this year due to serious indescritions, and won't play Supe again this year. Yet somehow, he can apparently make the Wallabies whilst not being available for Supe!

The whole thing to me is rather sickening for the guys who have performed most of this year to date and not misbehaved in critical ways.

Meanwhile, at the same time Burgess looks like getting a call up over White in another snubbing of local performers.

You couldn't make this stuff up, yet people still try to justify it. All beyond me.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Who will be the final 6.

We already know Beale is in & I'd like to see MMM & James Hanson join him.

Deans will definitely pick McCabe.

MMM seemed a bit contact shy early but who could blame him after shoulder surgery but he did seem better in the 2nd half especially when he moved into the tight 5 & he did make some good runs in attack I think he'd be a good bench option.

James Hanson had a good game on Saturday against the Lions & it wasn't his throwing that let the lineout down it was more the Lions jumpers doing really well. I'd actually prefer Hanson to Fainga'a in a test match as I think his game is better suited for test Rugby.

So that leaves two more spots & I think 1 should go to a halfback & the other a front row.

My choice now would be Luke Burgess & Dan Palmer. It would have been Nic White until injury.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
i found this an interesting comment from Gareth Rees on the role of the flyhalf
“So they’re charged with carrying out the game plan, but there’s still decisions to make along the way. It’s different than when I played, but it’s still challenging, I think. There’s a lot of components to it. Defence now, you can’t hide a player in defence now, you have to play a full role there, and if you don’t, teams will find you out.”

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
i found this an interesting comment from Gareth Rees on the role of the flyhalf
“So they’re charged with carrying out the game plan, but there’s still decisions to make along the way. It’s different than when I played, but it’s still challenging, I think. There’s a lot of components to it. Defence now, you can’t hide a player in defence now, you have to play a full role there, and if you don’t, teams will find you out.”

So I guess that cuts Beale out.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
i actually think beale is a pretty good defender. when at 15, he's typically very good in fact.
though of the amigos, i think JOC (James O'Connor) has the best defensive positioning...typically goes in with the right body positioning, followed by KB (Kurtley Beale) and miles down the track is bear hug cooper.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So I guess that cuts Beale out.

bullocks, absolute bullocks

if you look at his time in the Wallabies, at 10 and 15, his defense has not been an issue

that does not mean he won't miss the occasional tackle, but it does mean he bends his back and puts in

Status
Not open for further replies.