• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think he will be selected purely on name more-so than performances on the field...at the moment...

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I think that even if his performances on the field do warrant selection, many people will simply say he was selected on name only. ;)

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think that even if his performances on the field do warrant selection, many people will simply say he was selected on name only. ;)

That wont really matter though because if thats the case then he will shut people up pretty fast with his performances for Aus lol...see what happens over the next month or so - if he is the top 1-2 form wing/full back then of course select him...if not then theres really no point for now and maybe should be left until the end of year tour.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
The Australian newspaper is running Israel Folau ads on bus stops.

Has rugby ever had someone generate that much hype?

Not a bad thing for our sport though.

The man has star quality. You should have seen him at Newington College yesterday. All the Tahs were signing autographs for the boys after training but when Izzy came along he was swamped.

IMG_2060 - Copy.JPG

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
End of year tour - if form warrants.
I think the best for Izzy would be play as much rugby as possible - Super 15, and Shute through the mid season lions games.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
1. Benn Robinson
2. Stephen Moore
3. James Slipper
4. Kane Douglas
5. Scott Fardy
6. Ed Quirk
7. Liam Gill
8. Ben Mowen
9. Nic White
10. Matt To'omua
11. Digby Ioane
12. Ben Tapuai
13. Mitch Inman
14. Dom Shipperley
15. Jesse Mogg

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
The 13 Jersery:

Adam Ashley Cooper has not found any form this year. Still thinks that Deans will pick AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and not be willing to blood new players for Lions or Rugby Championship games.

Fainga'a has only just come back for the Reds so time will tell with his form.

Tapuai is playing at 12 and looks a better option for inside center.

Honey badger could be a option.

At this stage which is only 4 rounds into the season Inman has to be considered a good chance. When you look at the two real options the Lions have for the 13 jersey being O'Driscoll or Tuilagi Inmans good defensive work would come in handy against both of these players.

P

Paradox

The 13 Jersery:.

Tomane a very outside chance but looked good tonight. The Wallabies have some pretty potent outside backs at the moment but none of then play 13 regularly. Diggers, Speight, Folau, Tomane, Mitchell, Ships, Cummins, Mogg, JOC (James O'Connor), Beale. More depth at wing/full back than we've had for a while.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Agree with the depth for the back 3 being really good at the moment, the thing about it is the form of this list. Throw Rathbone and Mafi onto this list as well.

The Brumbies guys are playing far better Rugby than the rest. Diggers and JOC (James O'Connor) are both playing ok, but no where near there best in my opinion. Diggers is running a lot of meters but does not seem to be creating as many chances.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
From what I have seen this would be my team for the first Lions test. 4, 13 & 14 were the hardest to pick. Speight would be there over Mitchell if eligible. Locks aren't the best jumpers but Mowen and Smith are good options. Need to watch the Brumbies locks closer.

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Slipper
4. Douglas
5. Pyle
6. Smith
7. Gill
8. Mowen
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Leallifano
13. Fainga'a
14. Mitchell
15. Mogg

16. Fainga'a
17. Alexander
18. Palmer
19. Simmons
20. Quirk
21. Phipps
22. Tapuai
23. JOC (James O'Connor)

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
From what I have seen this would be my team for the first Lions test. 4, 13 & 14 were the hardest to pick. Speight would be there over Mitchell if eligible. Locks aren't the best jumpers but Mowen and Smith are good options. Need to watch the Brumbies locks closer.

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Slipper
4. Douglas
5. Pyle
6. Smith
7. Gill
8. Mowen
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Leallifano
13. Fainga'a
14. Mitchell
15. Mogg

16. Fainga'a
17. Alexander
18. Palmer
19. Simmons
20. Quirk
21. Phipps
22. Tapuai
23. JOC (James O'Connor)

4918, I think you're close. I would have Hooper in place of Gill because he is the incumbent and was outstanding in all of his test matches. Good to see no Beale or JO'C in the starting lineup. Neither playing good football atm. Now we need a new 10 to stand up and replace Cooper. I should say that I have been a long time fan of each of these, but none are currently playing to their abilities. I thought Mitchell played pretty good last night in a well beaten team, but I can't see him ahead of the honeybadger. I can't have Simmonds even on the bench - too many chances and too many sub-par performances at test level. On form, have to have Fardy.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Slipper
4. Douglas
5. Pyle
6. Smith
7. Gill
8. Mowen
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Leallifano
13. Fainga'a
14. Mitchell
15. Mogg

16. Fainga'a
17. Alexander
18. Palmer
19. Simmons
20. Quirk
21. Phipps
22. Tapuai
23. JOC (James O'Connor)

My thoughts / questions / variations;
# 6 - Smith, is that George Smith - after last nights performance and a week and a bit at training, seeing his 70 minutes game time - head be my first choice 7, but has enough skill to play 6, and also 8.
# 7 - I like Smith, Hooper, and Gill, each have different strong points and extremely difficult to pick - Hooper only because he is the incumbent, Smith is at 6.
# 4 - I'd possibly look at Luke Jones, as he can provide the 4 / 6 cover
# 12 - I'd go Taps, on current form very very close call, becuase he's incumbent, and his combination with Genia, and Cooper.
# 13 - JOC (James O'Connor), I dont think JOC (James O'Connor) has done alot wrong, he had good D, and creates doubt and options with Ball in Hand,

Fainga'a,
Alexander,
Palmer,
Jones,
Quirk
White as I chose Genia above - I'd put Genia straight in.
Lilo - just misses the start, but has the ability to provide 10, 12 cover from the bench.
Fiangaa to the bench for JOC (James O'Connor) (JOC (James O'Connor) can cover 11,14,15)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Wouldn't Horwill and Genia be back in time to be considered for the first test?

If MMM continues improving, he would be my choice at 6. Schatz is my outside chance at 7, depending on who the Lions select.

We really need a good, strong, tough ball-runner at 8. Maybe the fat Brumby 8? I can never remember his name. :cool: Mowen is not big enough or tough enough.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
We really need a good, strong, tough ball-runner at 8. Maybe the fat Brumby 8? I can never remember his name. :cool: Mowen is not big enough or tough enough.

Mowen isn't big? He's 1.95cm and 110kgs, how much bigger does he need to be? The "fat Brumby", Fotu, is 1.89cm and 115kg.

P

Paradox

Mowen isn't big? He's 1.95cm and 110kgs, how much bigger does he need to be? The "fat Brumby", Fotu, is 1.89cm and 115kg.
Ironically Mowen dropped 7kgs after leaving the Tahs and is playing pretty well. If someone like Hooper put on a lot of beef he'd lose his dynamism as well.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Wouldn't Horwill and Genia be back in time to be considered for the first test?

If MMM continues improving, he would be my choice at 6. Schatz is my outside chance at 7, depending on who the Lions select.

Shatz doesn't play 7. Why would you play him as a 7?

Mowen has been playing fine for a season and 3 games. Not sure what more he could do to replace incumbent wallabies who he has been outplaying for that time period.

Other than going back to tahs. That would ensure his selection.

P

Paradox

My alternate Wallaby backline. I reckon this backline would cause some serious problems for any team and includes players in form. Folau gets the nod if he hits his potential and demonstrates he can kick the ball.

9. Genia
10. Cooper/Lilo
11. Diggers
12. Lilo/Taps
13. Tomane
14. JOC (James O'Connor) (or Folau)
15. Mogg (if Folau at 14, JOC (James O'Connor) at 15 for goal kicking)

Bench backs:
20. White
21. Beale/Folau
22. Taps/Lilo

Barnes/Mitchell unlucky to miss out but arguably they could start. Some very good players are going to miss out on selection assuming everyone is fit. I don't want to carry 2 non-kicking wings.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Slipper
4. Douglas
5. Pyle
6. Smith
7. Gill
8. Mowen
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Leallifano
13. Fainga'a
14. Mitchell
15. Mogg

16. Fainga'a
17. Alexander
18. Palmer
19. Simmons
20. Quirk
21. Phipps
22. Tapuai
23. JOC (James O'Connor)
Not to be a negative nancy, but that team would get destroyed by the Lions.
All those players are in form currently, but that doesn't translate into what will be/should be the test team. For example, there is no way Ben Mowen, Lealiafano or Jesse Mogg would be playing their debut against the lions.

This is my team. Which I think has a more realistic chance of being picked.

1- Robinson
2- Moore
3- Slipper/Palmer
4- Douglas
5- Horwill
6- Higginbotham
7- Hooper
8- Palu
9- Genia
10- Beale
11- Ioane
12- Tapuai
13- Ashley-Cooper
14- Mitchell
15- O'Connor

Bench: Polota-Nau, Alexander/Slipper, Pyle/Simmons, Dennis, Gill, White, Cooper

The 10/12/15 combination is a hard one to pick. I've always liked seeing Beale at 10, and O'Connor seems better when injecting himself from the back. Tapuai is the best contender for 12 with McCabe injured, I wouldn't want to see O'Connor there, Barnes or Lealifano would be the other option. Then you have Quade as an option at 10 as well.

The 5:2 split is just a guess, but I suspect they'll go that way if Palu is starting.

Props, Slipper has been good and should definatly be in the 22, but Palmer may be a better option to face Cian Healy.

I would feel much more comfortable if that was the team that faced the Lions.

P

Paradox

I don't think Slipper's scrummaging is strong enough to warrant his selection at tight head. Alexander, Palmer and Kepu are stronger in that position. I think we should start against the Lions with our best scrummaging props in Robinson and Palmer. Alexander/Slipper on the bench. Alexander is the incumbent tight head and forced his way back into the Wallaby XV last year by out performing Kepu/Slipper in that position.

P

Paradox

Not to be a negative nancy, but that team would get destroyed by the Lions..

The Wallabies won't win with your lineup either IMO. 10/12/13 axis has question marks over it. Will Slipper up front provide a stable platform? Higginbotham still to prove he's a consistent test 6. I reckon Oz might need to select a few rookies. The existing formula has failed. Was George Smith a rookie in 2001 against the Lions? He did ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.