• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Good ideas floating around. Not expecting the team I posted to get picked it is just a team selected on current form and obviously excludes guys that haven't played. Just did it for a bit of fun.

The one player that if present form continues will really push the incumbent is Mogg. A few more performances like last night are going to be damn hard to ignore. A week ago I would have said he is no chance, not so sure anymore.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Anyone who doesn't have JOC (James O'Connor) in their starting XV needs their head checked. We discovered the other night that he isn't really a ten. Doesn't preclude him from playing 12, 14 or 15.

At the moment, this is a what I'd like to see/what we might actually see combo.

Robinson
Moore
Palmer
Douglas
Pyle
Quirk
Hooper
Mowen

Genia/White (depends how Genia comes back.)
Cooper
Digby
Taps
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
JOC (James O'Connor)
Beale

TPN
Alexander
Slipper
MMM
Gill
White/Genia
Lilo
Mogg

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
One thing that I am enjoying is how most people see Pyle as a contender to start.
Last season I thought he should have been given a chance, but this season, along with Luke Jones, he has been playing the house down.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Adam Ashley Cooper is the myth of Australian rugby.
Who else is there?

tigerland12 I've been talking up Jones for ages but he's going to have to sort out his hands before he plays for the Wallabies. He does so many good things, but he's guaranteed to lose the ball in contact at least twice a game.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Adam Ashley Cooper is the myth of Australian rugby.

That is so untrue. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is an excellent outside centre for the Wallabies. He rarely has a bad game for them.

But like Berrick Barnes, he looks shithouse for the Waratahs. I am sure there are a few more players in the same boat.

something

Jim Clark (26)
my team if i were the selector - based on form & experience (in brackets are 2nd option/res.)

1, Alexander (Robinson)
2. Moore (S. Fainga'a)
3. Slipper (Palmer)
4. Pyle (Douglas)
5. Horwill (Douglas)
6. Higginbotham (Hooper/Gill/Mowen)
7. Hooper (Gill)
8. Mowen (Higginbotham)
9. Genia (White)
10. Cooper (Beale/JOC (James O'Connor)/Lealifano)
11. Diggers (Mogg)
12. Lealifano (Taps)
13. Ashley Cooper? (Taps)
14. JOC (James O'Connor) (Mogg)
15. Beale (Mogg)

16. S. Fainga'a
17. Robinson
18. Palmer
19. Gill
20. White
21. Taps
22. Mogg

(edit: + Douglas on bench)

I struggled with 6 but i reckon Higgers has been playing pretty well since going to the rebs. He isn't as loose and adds attacking flair. Needs to work on D.

Also, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in 13 was a struggle. he hasn't been performing but he is consistent for the wobs. I was thinking either the Honey Badger or Tomane or A.Fainga'a could go in there as well but eh, we dont really have an oustanding 13 right now. Atleast AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is experienced & solid in defence.

In regards to the front row i think Alexander and Robinson could be switched, as could slipper and palmer. Im easy regardless as long as it is those 4.

BigSteve

Herbert Moran (7)
Who else is there?

HONEY BADGER! he is one of the best defensive players we have in Aus rugby, which should be a major focus as Manu Tuilagi is going to need to be stopped constantly. If you look at England when they play manu is very often the emphasis of the backline moves and also creates opportunities, we need some like honey badger to handle him so that doesn't happen.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Tuilagi isn't so good that we need to worry about selecting players to stop him. You could make an argument for Cummins, I can't remember the last time he played 13 though - his hands are a pretty big question mark as well.

Fotu Auelua as a smoky? Could be devastating off the bench.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Not to be a negative nancy, but that team would get destroyed by the Lions.
All those players are in form currently, but that doesn't translate into what will be/should be the test team. For example, there is no way Ben Mowen, Lealiafano or Jesse Mogg would be playing their debut against the lions.

This is my team. Which I think has a more realistic chance of being picked.

1- Robinson
2- Moore
3- Slipper/Palmer
4- Douglas
5- Horwill
6- Higginbotham
7- Hooper
8- Palu
9- Genia
10- Beale
11- Ioane
12- Tapuai
13- Ashley-Cooper
14- Mitchell
15- O'Connor

Bench: Polota-Nau, Alexander/Slipper, Pyle/Simmons, Dennis, Gill, White, Cooper

The 10/12/15 combination is a hard one to pick. I've always liked seeing Beale at 10, and O'Connor seems better when injecting himself from the back. Tapuai is the best contender for 12 with McCabe injured, I wouldn't want to see O'Connor there, Barnes or Lealifano would be the other option. Then you have Quade as an option at 10 as well.

The 5:2 split is just a guess, but I suspect they'll go that way if Palu is starting.

Props, Slipper has been good and should definatly be in the 22, but Palmer may be a better option to face Cian Healy.

I would feel much more comfortable if that was the team that faced the Lions.

The Brumbies are obviously the cellar dwellers this S15 season. Only Moore gets a start? A better team and one more likely to succeed would comprise only Brumbies. BTW the Lions will not be the monsters everyone seems to think imo. I would expect the Wallabies to win at least two tests, but under Deans any catastrophe could happen.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don't think Slipper's scrummaging is strong enough to warrant his selection at tight head. Alexander, Palmer and Kepu are stronger in that position. I think we should start against the Lions with our best scrummaging props in Robinson and Palmer. Alexander/Slipper on the bench. Alexander is the incumbent tight head and forced his way back into the Wallaby XV last year by out performing Kepu/Slipper in that position.

But with two props on the bench, Benny A should cover loose head and Slipper cover tight head.

baldwid

Stan Wickham (3)
I would say that its pretty simple, pick a team based on form and class / past deeds.

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Palmer
4. Pyle
5. Horwill
6. Mowen
7. Smith
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. Lealiifano
13. Tomane
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Mogg

Alexander
TPN
Jones
Gill
White
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Ioane

Some controversial decisions in their but I think on balance that team has plenty of experience with Moore, Fat Cat, Smith, Horwill and Mowen, which is what you need from your eight. Has some brute and skill as well and no flashy wankers - plenty of forwards who are happy to work!!

The backs pick themselves, Cooper might display poor form off the field but is head and shoulders the best 10 in Australia. Cock on Block - Tomane is the best option for 13 in Australia and I will say it again - he has the potential to be world class. JOC (James O'Connor) has to be their and would be great on counters against strong kicking northern hemisphere teams such as the Lions. Mogg's form (if is holds) must see him get a run, he is blindingly quick and provides a left footed kicking option and a massive one at that!!

Digby is still too one dimensional for me but would be brilliant against a tired defence with 20 minutes to go. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) covers every position and I like the way that Luke Jones works - check his stats!!! Plus he covers both Lock and Blindside!!

baldwid

Stan Wickham (3)
I would say that its pretty simple, pick a team based on form and class / past deeds.

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Palmer
4. Pyle
5. Horwill
6. Mowen
7. Smith
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. Lealiifano
13. Tomane
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Mogg

Alexander
TPN
Jones
Gill
White
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Ioane

Some controversial decisions in their but I think on balance that team has plenty of experience with Moore, Fat Cat, Smith, Horwill and Mowen, which is what you need from your eight. Has some brute and skill as well and no flashy wankers - plenty of forwards who are happy to work!!

The backs pick themselves, Cooper might display poor form off the field but is head and shoulders the best 10 in Australia. Cock on Block - Tomane is the best option for 13 in Australia and I will say it again - he has the potential to be world class. JOC (James O'Connor) has to be their and would be great on counters against strong kicking northern hemisphere teams such as the Lions. Mogg's form (if is holds) must see him get a run, he is blindingly quick and provides a left footed kicking option and a massive one at that!!

Digby is still too one dimensional for me but would be brilliant against a tired defence with 20 minutes to go. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) covers every position and I like the way that Luke Jones works - check his stats!!! Plus he covers both Lock and Blindside!!

Forgot to add my second prop - Slipperpottamus!

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Will the Lions tour be 23-man teams? If so, we'll have two props on the bench, suggesting that both Slipper and Alexander will be selected.

Mogg was sensational last night -- in attack. He was never under any pressure defensively. If he continues to play well, he may be selected but I'm guessing it would be at wing.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
While we're selecting teams (bold + italics being the ones I am certain of, italics alone is "nobody else really")

1. Benn Robinson (WAR)
2. Stephen Moore (BRU)
3. Ben Alexander (BRU)
4. Kane Douglas (WAR)
5. Sam Carter (BRU)
6. Ed Quirk (RED)
7. Michael Hooper (WAR)
8. Ben Mowen (BRU)
9. Nic White (BRU)
10. Quade Cooper (RED)
11. Digby Ioane (RED)
12. Christian Lealiifano (BRU)
13. Mitch Inman (REB)
14. Henry Speight (BRU)
15. Jesse Mogg (BRU)

16. Saia Fainga'a (RED)
17. James Slipper (RED)
18. Paddy Ryan (WAR)
19. Mitchell Chapman (WAR)
20. Liam Gill (RED)
21. Nick Phipps (REB)
22. Matt To'omua (BRU)
23. Adam Ashley-Cooper (WAR)

The Force have some top guys, like Lyn, MMM and Godwin, but just aren't outperforming their eastern counterparts. MMM will probably end up at 19 if he keeps his work rate up.

The Reds have a really good forward pack and Cooper-Tapuai is making the backline work, with Digby in his usual form.

The Rebels... well... from 4 - 9 they are going well, Mitch Inman being (as Deans put it) the rock on which the backline is built.

The Waratahs have good players who just have no idea what they, or their team mates, are doing. I'll put that down to Chieka. They should improve.

The Brumbies are the typical team of no stand outs, a team with a plan who know what their team mates are doing. The guys listed are the guys who are probably BIP at the moment.

All this is from Super Rugby form. It doesn't translate to Test form (Eg. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), McCalman).

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
just on the backs
on form currently
9 white
10 cooper
11 ioane
12 lealiifano (but very close tapuai)
13 inman
14 ? mitchell (no one really a standout imo) drew that is not lachie
15 mogg

this not anywhere close to the team that will start against the lions however
genia
beale
JOC (James O'Connor)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
barnes
all are almost certain to be in the 22 if fit

? cummins if form good enough will get a look in

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
As the OP says, if I had to pick a starting XV based purely on Super Rugby form, the side would look something like this:
1. Greg Holmes
2. Stephen Moore
3. James Slipper
4. Hugh Pyle
5. Scott Fardy
6. Ed Quirk
7. Liam Gill
8. Ben Mowen
9. Nic White
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. Christian Lealiifano
13. Mitch Inman
14. Dom Shipperly or Henry Speight*
15. James O'Connor

*For argument's sake it's a toss up between those two but I would have fit in Mogg at 14 or 15 if I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.