• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Mcmeniman is my favorite player of all time so he would be in my test 23 but I think he would be better coming off the bench and covering 6/lock and then hoping deans uses the bench.
My locks would be horwill/Douglas.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
900 posts! I don't know what the fuss is all about. I don't even think it looks that nice.

wallabieswatch1.jpg

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Slipper Ryan
4. Douglas
5. Pyle Horwill
6. Smith McMeniman
7. Gill
8. Mowen
9. White Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Leallifano Tapuai
13. Fainga'a AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Mitchell
15. Mogg

16. Fainga'a
17. Alexander
18. Palmer Slipper
19. Simmons
20. Quirk Smith
21. Phipps White
22. Tapuai Leallifano
23. JOC (James O'Connor)

Version 2.0

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Trying to balance form v experience:

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Palmer
4. Douglas
5. Horwill
6. Mowen
7. Smith
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Tapuai
13. Ashley-Cooper
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Mogg

16. TPN (how long is he out for? If not.......... Hanson?)
17. Alexander
18. Ryan
19. MMM
20. Hooper
21. White
22. Lealiifano
23. Tomane/Mitchell/Mafi (really not sure on this one?)

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
New Wallabie Jersey coming out next week according to RugbyHQ. How much are they going to charge for this one? Got a Lions jersey for $120 (Had a $100 gift voucher and 10% discount, actually only spent $8) which I think is a reasonable price. compared to some of the crazy prices I have seen recently when you have to pay full price for Kooga ($170 is way to much for a top)

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Got a Lions jersey for $120 (Had a $100 gift voucher and 10% discount, actually only spent $8) which I think is a reasonable price. compared to some of the crazy prices I have seen recently when you have to pay full price for Kooga ($170 is way to much for a top)

I was surprised to see the Lions jersey for $120 when the NZ Super Rugby jerseys were on display nearby for $160. Both made by Adidas, but big difference in price. I think they are the best kit manufacturer as the jerseys they make are not over the top (excluding Stade Francais).

It will be interesting to see what KooGa do to the Wallabies jersey. How many ways can you re-design a gold jersey? Will there be a black version? :D

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I was surprised to see the Lions jersey for $120 when the NZ Super Rugby jerseys were on display nearby for $160. Both made by Adidas, but big difference in price. I think they are the best kit manufacturer as the jerseys they make are not over the top (excluding Stade Francais).

It will be interesting to see what KooGa do to the Wallabies jersey. How many ways can you re-design a gold jersey? Will there be a black version? :D

I want stripes. A green and gold striped jersey would be awesome.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
That's pretty good but the question of Hooper vs. Gill vs. Smith is deliciously unresolved.

I'd say unless he drops off it really is hard to deny Smith the starting #7 jersey right now. He combines the skillsets of Gill with his pilfering and distribution as well as Hooper with some flair and a bit of a turn of pace and some sheer aggression running the ball up to the line. He's also got more test experience than anyone play in Australia. For the other two I'd say it purely comes down to the makeup of the back rows for both teams as well as the weather. They're both excellent young players, they've just got slightly different strengths.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I'd say unless he drops off it really is hard to deny Smith the starting #7 jersey right now. He combines the skillsets of Gill with his pilfering and distribution as well as Hooper with some flair and a bit of a turn of pace and some sheer aggression running the ball up to the line. He's also got more test experience than anyone play in Australia. For the other two I'd say it purely comes down to the makeup of the back rows for both teams as well as the weather. They're both excellent young players, they've just got slightly different strengths.
THats sensible, I am not taking anything from Hooper or Gill they are playing excellent rugby. But seriously Smith bring what they both have and alot more.
By having Smith involved Pockock, Gill, & Hoops will all benifit - he has the skill sets of all three of them and that can not be denied.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
The ARU would simply, and there i no other way of putting this, fucking barking mad if they don't do everything possible to get Smith playing in this series. Hooper and Gill are excellent, and YES Smith terrorised the Lions last time they were here, as a 20 year old. However, we took a punt on him then, because Wilson was getting on and there wasn't much else around. Fortunately, he carved up and was one of our best.

Gill and Hooper will of course be in the squad, and should get plenty of game time each, and you could argue that they are older than Smith was last time, and will only get this chance once so should be given it. But for fuck sake, its George Smith, and he's in arguably better form than when he left. We're severely lacking for experienced, test proven, COOL heads to help guide us through and get our youngsters firing. His experience, calmness, aura and pure ability should make him literally the first player picked if its possible.

Eddie Jones would pull every string he has to get Smith playing, all we have to do is sign him to a 6 month contract with a get-out clause that Smith could enact as soon as the Lions tour is over.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
THats sensible, I am not taking anything from Hooper or Gill they are playing excellent rugby. But seriously Smith bring what they both have and alot more.
By having Smith involved Pockock, Gill, & Hoops will all benifit - he has the skill sets of all three of them and that can not be denied.

He may actually be one of the best ball-handlers (or ball-player I guess but I didn't want to confuse anyone with the redundancy) in the Wallabies training camp too, pretty funny considering that leaves a dozen or more backs behind him in that category...

Status
Not open for further replies.