• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Like IS I dispute that. Thought he had a couple of nice moments but was quiet for most of the game (he was in my fantasy team so I was watching him fairly closely). He was outclassed by Nonu IMO.

As for who I would pick, at this point I don't know. If I had to pick a team tomorrow, probably Lealiifano. But Barnes and McCabe also have claims.

As an aside, who did stand out for you in the reds game?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think Lilo has been pretty good actually. Was quiet against the Stormers but had some great moments before that game. As for Barnes and McCabe, I made no mention of form. Just saying they were in the mix come the Lions series- mainly due to experience.

Last night I was impressed by Genia, Shipperley, Schatz, Gill and Hanson. And Lance.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Schatz has been improving his running game from week to week and held onto the pill last night.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The thing I like about Tapuai, and which I think we need, is his ability to accelerate into a gap, and to change direction at speed without losing much. He seems to have good spatial awareness of where to go. Sure, his defensive positioning, and distribution can improve, but that style is what I really like in a 12. I just don't think Barnes or McCabe at 12, although they both have good qualities, are what we really need.
I agree Lealiifano has been best at 10, but he makes a damn fine job of 12 too, from what I've seen. I really hope we see him in Tests this year, I think he has a lot to offer.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
But Barnes and McCabe also have claims.

How can you pick Barnes to play based on any form from this season? He lasted all of 20-30 minutes before coming off injured. He's been a great servant to our game but I don't think his body is going to hold on for much longer.

Regarding McCabe, we've seen this experiment fail time and time again. Putting him at 12 just stifles our backline. Nonu when he was younger was quite similar to McCabe, a one dimensional player who was used as a battering ram. However, Nonu's learnt how to pass and kick, while McCabe just runs straight and hard.

So that leaves you with Tapuia, Lealifano and to an extent JOC (James O'Connor). The former two players are the only ones constantly playing in that position and the latter is better suited to playing out wide where he can utilize the space with his pace and quick feet to beat the opposite man.

We should really only focus on players who actually constantly have playing time at 12 during the super competition. It's the same argument we have with picking Alexander where the Brumbies pick him to play one position and the Wallabies pick him for a second position.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
How can you pick Barnes to play based on any form from this season? He lasted all of 20-30 minutes before coming off injured. He's been a great servant to our game but I don't think his body is going to hold on for much longer.

I mentioned both Barnes and McCabe because they have claims based on experience alone. Just said their names deserved to be thrown in the hat to at least be discussed.

Despite his latest injury troubles, Barnes was good for the Wallabies for 90% of last season. Although with KB (Kurtley Beale)'s troubles he may slot straight into fullback after his efforts on the EOYT.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
It seems to me that we're seeing a bit of a seachange in Super Rugby this season with a bunch of young or fringe guys staking a claim to be the best in their position, while some of the more experienced guys are struggling or injured. That it's in a Lions year makes it extra-intriguing, I think, but also puts a lot of pressure on Robbie to make the right calls. If out of form but experienced players are poor against the Lions, there will be a lot of tough questions asked.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
So that leaves you with Tapuia, Lealifano and to an extent JOC (James O'Connor).

I think JOC (James O'Connor) should stay in the outside backs.

I reckon the pecking order for 12 should be Tapuai, Lealiifano then Godwin. All have great skill sets. I'd prefer a Tapuai style 12 if Quade Cooper is the 10. Which foot is Lealiifano's preferred for kicking? Pretty sure both Tapuai and Godwin are opposite to Cooper which certainly helps.

Barnes and McCabe can come into consideration later when they've actually played some rugby.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Spot on Richo. The difference in form for some of the uncapped players and some of those with experience is quite stark in some cases. Injuries aren't helping either. Form over the next couple of weeks will be very interesting.

Of course the reverse is true too - if deans throws in a rookie and they come unstuck he'll be pasted for it.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
As to the Tahs try, Horne & Betham running lines inside and out for Foley stood up the defence and created the overlap

The concept of the crash ball to the centre by a big pig, it has been around for years, David Lyons was once the option for the Tahs, it ain't a Dean's construct, it was also a standard move for the ABs and Crusaders in recent seasons as well.

I don't disagree that the crash ball to the centre can be useful. It becomes totally useless when you do it every time and never try a play like we saw last weekend. I don't remember the Wallabies ever using such a play last year. As I said, it isn't in Deans' rugby imagination.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
With due respect to your opinions regarding McCabe. He was only playing the role the Wallabies coach told him to. We have no idea if he can be more dynamic at 12.

P

Paradox

With due respect to your opinions regarding McCabe. He was only playing the role the Wallabies coach told him to. We have no idea if he can be more dynamic at 12.
Someone was talking about a 12 being involved in a wrap around play? May I present this evidence (see 22:22). Who was that 12 who handed the ball back to the flyhalf?

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Someone was talking about a 12 being involved in a wrap around play? May I present this evidence (see 22:22). Who was that 12 who handed the ball back to the flyhalf?

Why, wasn't that Pat McCabe, the non-passing number 12 that I've been hearing so much about? Guess he only passes when he's got decent players around him :D

P

Paradox

Although I think Tapuai has the greater athletic potential of the two, kid has an outright nasty step.

I can't see how anyone could make that judgement based on Lilo's running game over the past 3-4 season. He's also got a lovely step (See 0:50, 3:14 but there are plenty of examples)

Deans will make his selection based on Taps possible combo with Cooper and/or Taps being the incumbent. If Deans is looking for a second 5/8, he'll go Lilo (or Barnes). Of course, Lilo's lack of test experience will work against him.

Cooper has been flakey this year in most games and Beale...well who knows. Deans could select a 10/12/13 combo of Barnes, Lilo and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Lilo with experienced bodies around him may be an acceptable choice to Deans. He call also slot into 10 in certain plays and take the ball to the line. Barnes has the reliable boot, good defense and be dangerous with ball in hand when he has confidence up.

Fark, it's all up for grabs :)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Merrow Well, even Tom Carter passes sometimes too!
Point is, that whether McCabe rarely passes because he is told to play that way (likely) or whether it has become second nature to just truck it up (maybe partly true as well) the fact is we have seen not enough of it in recent seasons. So when the issue of having a player there that can link / offload / make some play as well as running it arises, McCabe's case is not as compelling. I don't doubt he can do it. In any event, he needs to get back on the pitch first. I think he's more a 13 anyway, but that's a whole different debate.

P

Paradox

Yep, he (McCabe) has been battling injury and has a fight on his hands to get into the Brumbies back line. Long road to the Ws for him.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Spot on Richo. The difference in form for some of the uncapped players and some of those with experience is quite stark in some cases. Injuries aren't helping either. Form over the next couple of weeks will be very interesting.

Of course the reverse is true too - if deans throws in a rookie and they come unstuck he'll be pasted for it.

Yep, that's what makes it such a tough call for him. Such a shame that Lilo got hurt last year, otherwise he'd have got a fair bit of test rugby under his belt, I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.