• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Made more line breaks, busted more tackles and made more yards than Taps despite playing one less game. Early days Qwerty. I just hope he doesn't break again :(

According to what stats?

Additionally the Reds pack got beaten against the Brumbies and the Canes game was a grind-a-thon. The one open game the Reds have had Taps ran for over 101m according to rugby stats. Of course, you can use stats to show anything. They rarely show the full story. Especially when your bias is obvious.

If I wanted to cherry pick stats, I could cite the number of missed tackles, where Taps has the same amount as Lealiifano after just two games. Or how about tries scored?

Wait until another few weeks before trying to make your point without needing to cherry pick stats.

edit: forgot to say that rugbystats has Taps running for more metres than Lealiifano, albeit over three games, but I thought that was obvious in my post. Thanks for making me waste my time to show your obvious bias.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A bit of an overreaction there Ash.....

I don't think Paradox was having a go at Tapuai, but rather highlighting what Lilo had done so far this year in response to another poster questioning his form.......

chequebalance

Bill Watson (15)
It's actually one area that the Brumbies back 3 have excelled at under White...
Yea for sure I agree there. Mogg reminds me of, dare I say it.. a league fullback. Not sure what it is but he reminds me a bit of Josh Dugan. Maybe they train together.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't think that either Taps or Lilo have been in very good form - yet. Both have had solid starts. That's it. Nothing outstanding for me yet, and that includes Taps' two tries - one from an intercept and one from decent support to Quirk.

And the other poster is right in pointing out that Lilo's form is nothing like last year, which is to be expected after coming back from a long term injury lay off. Why paradox thought that comparing Lilo to Taps would justify a comparison of Lilo 2012 to Lilo 2013 is beyond me.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Wallabies just need to select a squad and be consistent - they have some good players to pick from - enough chopping and changing...be consistent and get some agression back into their game through the forwards...the forwards are as soft as warm butter...

P

Paradox

Thanks for making me waste my time to show your obvious bias.
:eek:
I pulled these stats from fantasy super rugby on Fox for 2013 so there is no bias. In future, just ask me where I got the stats from before you start throwing your toys about. I was going to link to the stats but went to bed.

Lilo:
Minutes: 160
Runs/Metres: 20(161) (12 against Reds for 77)
Tackle Busts: 4
Line Breaks: 2
Tackles: 14 (10 against Reds)

Taps:
Minutes: 229
Runs/Metres: 15 (146) (4 against Brumbies for 28 metres)
Tackle Busts: 3
Line Breaks: 0
Tackles: 32 (18 against Brumbies)

Probably should be noted the Lilo stands at first receiver at times. Can't remember if Taps does that but could skew stats.

P

Paradox

Why paradox thought that comparing Lilo to Taps would justify a comparison of Lilo 2012 to Lilo 2013 is beyond me.

Take a deep breath. :rolleyes: You're usually a very reasonable person :D

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Taps or Lilo, they are both better than each other at certain aspects - but how good is it having 2 real 12 to look at. They each would adapt to a different game plans, and one that doesn't need to involve kicking.

The pluses being:
Lilo can fit 10, and 12.
We don't need to use BB at 12 as I think he is better placed at 15, or for that matter if he is heading to Japan.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Paradox the problem, as I found last week, is that there are several stats sites with often quite different stats for a single game, so it's hard to know where the real figures lie. It's frustrating. But Lilo looks like he's been busy.

P

Paradox

I wouldn't mind seeing Taps at 13 as well but then we have the old issue of blokes out of position etc

P

Paradox

Paradox the problem, as I found last week, is that there are several stats sites with often quite different stats for a single game, so it's hard to know where the real figures lie. It's frustrating. But Lilo looks like he's been busy.

Agreed mate, I've generally used the fantasy rugby stats but obviously they don't tell the full story. My post seems to have interpreted as having a go at Taps which I wasn't. He's a very good player. I think someone said both Lilo and Taps have been very good but not spectacular and I agree. I think it was Ash :cool:

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I wouldn't mind seeing Taps at 13 as well but then we have the old issue of blokes out of position etc
He's a 12 - JOC (James O'Connor) at 13, Diggers, Beale, BB (for the lions), and possibly Izzy for the RC.
Lilo, and Acc on the bench

P

Paradox

He's a 12 - JOC (James O'Connor) at 13, Diggers, Beale, BB (for the lions), and possibly Izzy for the RC.
Lilo, and Acc on the bench

Good stuff. I think Beale would be good 13 (in attack at least).

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Good stuff. I think Beale would be good 13 (in attack at least).
Diggers, Beale, BB, Izzy - I remember the days when Roffy, and Andrew Walker use to work together

something similar may work with Izzy after a bit of Shute (during the Lions series) and the full Super season.

And with taps or Lilo at 12, and JOC (James O'Connor) in 13 it could be quite a back line.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
JOC (James O'Connor) for me needs to be the wide playmaker, so he can use both his running and passing game. That means he plays either 13 or 15, but with the likely size of the opposition centres, then 15 is a safer bet for him. I only want two maximum of the three amigos on the field at any one time for the wallabies, so that leaves Beale and Cooper fighting it out for the 10 jumper, unless Lilo gets moved there for the Brumbies soon.

However, I see the very real possibility of Deans player JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 since he is the safer option, which would move Beale back to 15. It doesn't make sense to me so I think it is odds on for Deans to go with that.

If Beiber is turned into a 10, he'll be Giteau Mk 11.

If he gets put at 13 and left there, he'll go down as better than Brian O'Driscoll.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Barnes is the only Wallaby 15 in the last few years who has been consistently strong under the high ball. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would be the next best.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
and ironically the shortest ... Genia is also consistently good under the high ball

Status
Not open for further replies.