• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Half of G&GR were props? :confused: Nah, they'd had to've been hookers. :cool: Handbags, fishnets, smokes 'n' all.

I was a back. :rolleyes:

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
I'm not sure why a number of people are suggesting Folau at 14, not even Deans would be that foolish. The wing may be slightly easier positionally than fullback, but it is still difficult positionally, especially in defense. Just look at Vuna, even 2 years after moving union he was still getting regularly caught out positionally in defense.

Unless Folau has been training on the wing as well as at fullback at Waratahs, he has no experience there and the Lions would be ruthless in exploiting this inexperience. At least at fullback he has 11 games and no doubt the majority of his mentorship at the 'tahs learning to position himself at fullback. He's still not there yet, but he's getting better each game.

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
I don't think Deans will select McCabe at 12, although he may select him on the bench. With his job on the line Deans will still have to justify his selections, and choosing a player like McCabe, who is currently starting on the bench, ahead of Lealiifano, would be a hard sell. I think instead, assuming he is going to play a defensive gameplan, he may select Horne. And if that is his gameplan, he will need a good kicker, so Barnes would seem to be his obvious choice at 10.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I don't think Deans will select McCabe at 12, although he may select him on the bench. With his job on the line Deans will still have to justify his selections, and choosing a player like McCabe, who is currently starting on the bench, ahead of Lealiifano, would be a hard sell. I think instead, assuming he is going to play a defensive gameplan, he may select Horne. And if that is his gameplan, he will need a good kicker, so Barnes would seem to be his obvious choice at 10.
i was looking forward to the Lions series, these team suggestions and talk of Dean's game plan (or lack of) have me thinking do I want to bother

Scotty

David Codey (61)
i was looking forward to the Lions series, these team suggestions and talk of Dean's game plan (or lack of) have me thinking do I want to bother

Exactly how I am feeling. Deans had a unique opportunity here:

- multiple super teams playing good rugby
- multiple form players that are exciting to watch
- likely the most watched test series in a decade in this country
- many fans from outside of rugby turning on the tv to have a gander

This is a critical series in terms of the overall state of the game in this country. We have the opportunity to play both attractive and winning rugby, yet all indications are that deans will be looking for boring and not losing by much rugby. If this occurs it will be a massive opportunity lost IMO.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yes, Cooper can tackle. Personally, I'm fine with his defense. But because he doesn't consistently defend in the line there isn't much evidence that he can do so phase after phase. I'm not saying he can't, I'm not saying he hasn't effected some good tackles, I'm just saying that this is a problem for his selection from Deans's perspective. I'm not sure why it's such a difficult logic to understand. It might be the wrong emphasis, but the thinking is logical. Btw, as I've said about a dozen times now, if I was picking the team, I'd take him.

You're right about JOC (James O'Connor). Surely that should be sounding an alarm bell for Robbie?
Does Dan carter defend, as in actually make tackles, in the line phase after phase?
I would be worried about the work rates of others if you had your 10 making, say, every 2nd or 3rd tackle. Or probably any player making so many tackles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bernie_Larkham

Herbert Moran (7)
My greatest concern is we beat an average Wales lat year by the skin of our scrotum playing an awful style of rugby. Many suggested it was due to injury.

We now have the same coach who looks like fielding a very similar squad despite form and fitness.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

This is a critical series in terms of the overall state of the game in this country. We have the opportunity to play both attractive and winning rugby, yet all indications are that deans will be looking for boring and not losing by much rugby. If this occurs it will be a massive opportunity lost IMO.
Where are these indications?
As far as I can see this all speculation as to the way he's thinking.
The one player that should, on form/experience, have been in the mix trashed his relationship with Deans.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
No Beale, JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 and most people wanting a kicker at the back and thinking Mogg is not ready. Quade Cooper is the answer, he has proven he can defend there many times in the last few weeks and is a far better kicker from the hand than Barnes.

Genia
JOC (James O'Connor)
Ioane
Lilo
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau
Cooper

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
No Beale, JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 and most people wanting a kicker at the back and thinking Mogg is not ready. Quade Cooper is the answer, he has proven he can defend there many times in the last few weeks and is a far better kicker from the hand than Barnes.

Genia
JOC (James O'Connor)
Ioane
Lilo
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau
Cooper

Been thinking this over for the past two weeks and it's a good idea as Cooper has been playing brilliantly from the back on both attack and defense but it won't happen as there is literally zero precedent for it. I was even thinking about writing up an article on the merits of Cooper as the Wallaby 15 but it's a scenario which I don't think is ever likely to unfold or even be considered.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Where are these indications?
As far as I can see this all speculation as to the way he's thinking.
The one player that should, on form/experience, have been in the mix trashed his relationship with Deans.

Picking a 25 man logistics squad with the inclusion of Barnes who hadn't played all year was a pretty clear indication that he was at the forefront of his plans.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Picking a 25 man logistics squad with the inclusion of Barnes who hadn't played all year was a pretty clear indication that he was at the forefront of his plans.
In the 22 or 23 because, with Beale out of the reckoning at that time, he'd only have 1 goal kicker in the 15, same now applies.
Been thinking this over for the past two weeks and it's a good idea as Cooper has been playing brilliantly from the back on both attack and defense but it won't happen as there is literally zero precedent for it. I was even thinking about writing up an article on the merits of Cooper as the Wallaby 15 but it's a scenario which I don't think is ever likely to unfold or even be considered.
Paul Mclean played at 15 for the Wobblies despite being a 10

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
This is my oppinion on what should be the Aus team for test 1

1. Ben Alexander
2. Stephan Moore
3.Sekope Kepu
4. Siteleki Timani
5. James Horwill
6. George Smith
7. Liam Gill
8. Fotu Auelea/ Ben Mowen
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Loane
12.Christian Leliafano
13. Adam Ashley Cooper
14. James O' Connor
15. Israel Folau

16. Tatafu Polota Nau
17. Paddy Ryan
18. Hugh Pyle
19.Radike Samo
20. Berrick Barnes
21. Joe Tomane
22. Kyle Goodwin

Jesus - we'd get belted with that run on team !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm pretty sure that the logistics camp was just that, logistics. They used over 50 boys already to get sponsor and TV stuff done, and measure them up for kit so that when they're in camp, they're in camp doing rugby only. This "rugby content" that Rowley and others are so certain was covered (and are using as indication that those not included recently are set to not play the lions), well I have it from the horses mouth (i.e an included player) that all they really did was some minor discussion in units (forwards and backs) about how they were going to run the lineout etc., backs discussed 1st phase moves and goal kicking. Mostly they just had impressed upon them how intense and pressurized the environment is going to be and had talks from psychologists about how to handle that + looked at some footage from the 1st test in 2001 when the Lions came out and put a bunch of points on early and the Wallabies couldn't retrieve the game.

Quade has completed his logistics requirements earlier in the year, he's playing the house down currently. He'll play the Lions, I have a large bet on it

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I still wouldn't start Folau, and I don't think Deans will either. Bench for me and not even there if he hasn't signed

With Beale gone I wouldn't be surprised to see Barnes slotted in at 15. He did very well for Deans and the Wobs there last season, he is safe and proven.

I don't expect to see any debutantes starting the first test, there maybe a few on the bench though

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Paul Mclean played at 15 for the Wobblies despite being a 10

Yeah but he hadn't played 0 tests at 15 leading into a BIL tour with a coach who seemingly doesn't want him in the 15 to begin with!

Would it be a good idea, possibly. Could it work, definitely. Will it happen in this reality, definitely not.

The biggest hole in it all is that Quade is still shaky under the high ball. When I was drawing up the list of pros/cons for Quade at 15 a week ago this was the big one for me and actually was probably the deciding factor in not going into writing an article over it. Unless he improved his high ball skills that would be enough of a reason to keep him out of the 15 jersey, all other things considered.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
My greatest concern is we beat an average Wales lat year by the skin of our scrotum playing an awful style of rugby. Many suggested it was due to injury.

We now have the same coach who looks like fielding a very similar squad despite form and fitness.

An average Wales side? You mean the Wales side that came within a bees dick of beating France and playing in the RWC final? The Wales side that then went on to win the six nations?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

The ARU knew all of this about Deans, certainly during and after the RWC. They have been content to pro-actively endorse, and re-endorse, him, stating recently (Hawker, Chairman) 'we are very happy with Deans'.

Status
Not open for further replies.