• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

wallabies wish list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
Injuries have reduced the Wallabies to a make-shift line-up. If all players were available, they would look a vastly different side. Greg Growden reports from Bloemfontein.

FULLBACK: Adam Ashley- Cooper. Australian rugby's most dependable and consistent player can comfortably cover four back-line positions - wing, inside and outside centre and fullback. No wonder coach Robbie Deans describes him as among his most important assets. But his best position is fullback. He is reliable under the high ball, effective in counterattack, and keeps mistakes to a minimum. When he is at fullback, the Wallabies look a far safer outfit.

WINGS: Digby Ioane and James O'Connor. Ioane is probably the Wallabies' biggest loss this year. They have missed his penetration, ability to break defences, great running lines and incredible speed. Without him the Wallabies can look pedestrian, with him they have an unpredictability that can lead to victory. O'Connor has taken some time to become comfortable on the wing but showed against the Springboks in Pretoria he has found his feet. His hassling of Bryan Habana forced a scavenging Wallabies try, and his positional understanding has pushed him up a level. Deans also believes wing is O'Connor's best position, so he will persevere with him.

OUTSIDE CENTRE: Rob Horne. There are ifs and buts about him. He continues to be thwarted by injury and has yet to be sighted fully stretched at Test level. But the potential is there, and as long as he can stay on the field he has the understanding of how to use space and good defensive work to make one of the most difficult positions of the field his. If Horne is unavailable, Ioane should shuffle to No.13, and Peter Hynes onto the wing. Two others who could come into contention for midfield spots are Will Chambers and Rod Davies.

INSIDE CENTRE: Matt Giteau. Perhaps Giteau is not as penetrative as he once was, but he has to stay in the team for his goalkicking. Admittedly that has been flaky at times, but work on his kicking style this season has made him an automatic selection. And the longer he plays with Quade Cooper the better the combination will become.

FIVE-EIGHTH: Quade Cooper. As long as the rugby league hounds are kept at bay, Cooper appears destined to be the Wallabies' chief playmaker for some time. The circus of the NRL approach followed by a scratchy game in Pretoria have been a worry. . Opponents are wary of him, but he needs to take the initiative more than he did at Loftus Versfeld Stadium, where he often transferred pressure onto teammates. His true worth won't be discovered until he plays New Zealand - the country in which he grew up.

HALFBACK: Will Genia. Has the potential to be a Wallabies great. Although he was effectively hassled by Springboks halfback Francois Hougaard in Pretoria, Genia has yet to have a really bad game for the Wallabies. He has poise, boasts a great pass and is becoming one of the team's real leaders. He, David Pocock and Benn Robinson are the only Wallabies who would seriously be considered for a World XV team.

NO.8: Wycliff Palu. Admittedly he has sometimes gone missing against the All Blacks, but the Wallabies have certainly missed the penetrating, bustling runs provided by the Waratahs back-rower. The Wallabies have not possessed a threatening No.8 since Toutai Kefu, and that is a distinct weakness in the squad.

OPENSIDE BREAKAWAY: David Pocock. You know a player is a real threat when opponents keep talking about him and attempting to devise ways to nullify him. Throughout this Tri Nations, New Zealand and South African players and officials have noted how he disrupts their ball at the breakdown. Pocock has enjoyed a standout season, filling the void left by George Smith, with his physique, power and speed making him a game breaker. Don't be surprised if he is Wallabies captain in 2012.

BLINDSIDE BREAKAWAY: Rocky Elsom. His performance against the Springboks in Brisbane shows that when he is on song, he can play the perfect captain's game. He is improving as a leader, and has the respect of teammates. Can never be accused of not trying.

SECOND ROW: Nathan Sharpe and James Horwill. Sharpe has become better the longer he has played, producing some of his best football the past two seasons. His lineout leadership and authority is critical, as shown when it all fell apart while he was off the field for the final 15 minutes of the Pretoria Test, enabling Victor Matfield to steal Wallabies throws. Horwill provides some much needed mongrel up front. He is a real heart-and-soul player and, like Ioane, has been sorely missed. Horwill would be picked ahead of Dan Vickerman at this stage, because it could take Vickerman time to regain his poise and form after a lengthy break from topline football.

PROPS: Ben Alexander and Benn Robinson. Prior to his injury lay-off, Alexander showed he was developing nicely as a tight-head prop. But what makes him special is his extraordinary mobility around the field, and his ability to score tries. Robinson is another player with great handling skills, but that is nothing compared to his excellent scrummaging abilities. When Alexander and Robinson are the anchors, the Wallabies pack is generally steady.

HOOKER: Tatafu Polota-Nau. The Waratahs hooker is renowned for putting his body on the line, and has often played injured. He is having a timely rest, because he will be crucial next season. Like Robinson and Alexander, his handling is exceptional. His fearlessness running, no matter what is in front of him, can transform games. His lineout throwing is no longer a weakness.

RESERVES: Stephen Moore, James Slipper, Dan Vickerman, Scott Higginbotham, Luke Burgess, Berrick Barnes, Kurtley Beale.

whats ur thoughts?:confused:

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
i think chamber will rock 13 again next year and be the wallabies outside for the world cup over horne
i like hodgeson on the bench as he is genuine cover for pocock as i think our game plan requires a real fetcher the whole game> maybe have giteau cover halfback and lose burgess from the bench> that is unless he can improve is passing~

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
Growden yet again proves how pathetic a journo he really is. I mean for fuck sake, leave O'Connor away from the wing.

I'd be looking to swap:

O'Connor for Mitchell
Horne for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for Hynes

Leave bench the way it is. Maybe look at replacing Berrick with JOC (James O'Connor). Big maybe.

jason

Sydney Middleton (9)
Looks pretty good actually, but I'd definitely pick Shmoo over JOC (James O'Connor) - still can't see JOC (James O'Connor) as a winger, even if Deans can. I don't think he was that great at Loftus and Mitchell, even though he's not all that popular these days, always looks dangerous when he runs.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
JOC (James O'Connor) is not a winger he is a 10/12 and should be played there or on the bench, Wingers should be drew and digby with hynes and turner as reserves

not so sure about davies at 13

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Wallabies wish list at this point in time is confined to fucking well winning a game. How about we do that first before getting carried away with who may or not be there next year?

Could have the same injury toll this time again next year. And then, where are we? Half way up Mt Hutt without a snowboard is where! Or worse, back at Marseille 12-10.....
I think most of us are sick of the bullshit, this group needs to the take a few lessons from the Vince Lombardi school of sports psychology -"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing".

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Unfortunately for O'Connor I can't really place him in our best 22...

He's not a winger or a fullback, and I think Beale is a much more reliable prospect...

The starting XV is nearly spot in but of course I'd rather have Mitchell and Hynes on the other wing...

So essentially:

1. Robinson
2. TPN or Moore
3. Alexander
4. Horwill
5. Sharpe
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. Giteau
13. Horne
14. Ioane
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

16. Moore or TPN
17. Slipper
18. Vickerman/Mumm/Simmons/Kimlin
19. Higginbotham/McCalman/Hodgson
20. Burgess
21. Barnes/Beale
22. Beale/Hynes

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
JOC (James O'Connor) is not a winger he is a 10/12 and should be played there or on the bench, Wingers should be drew and digby with hynes and turner as reserves

not so sure about davies at 13

agree with you there.

davies is super fast and i thought not all that big. made for the wing you would think.

the way grumbles talks of vickerman is very premature in my opinion. the man won't be playing for months yet and then has to work into form to even be considered. this instant plug in talk is crazy.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
There are so many issues with that Wallabies wish list I hardly know where to start.

JO'C on the wing over Mitchell, Turner and Hynes? Nah, I'd place him behind all three.

Horne at 13? The only thing more wishful is Chambers at 13 (at least Horne actually has a couple of tests under his belt). If it is a wish list, how about STIRLING MORTLOCK? I hear he is a pretty handy player.

Giteau, yes, if he runs (and kicks) straight

Genia. When in form he is our best, but he isn't even close to the World XV (but there are no Wallabies who are playing like the best in any position - at his best, Robinson is probably a good chance)

Horwill Vs Vickerman - Vickerman hasn't really played much over the last couple of years...hang on, neither has Horwill! Well I guess it is a wish list. Mumm for the bench though.

Pocock has been outstanding, but he doesn't quite cover for George Smith as he lacks the silky ball skills. Thankfully he doesn't fancy himself a kicker though.

Higginbotham over Hodgson on the bench? Nope. I'd put Waugh in ahead of Higginbotham.

Slipper. Slipper? This is a wish list, not a take what you've got list! It is a bit early to be considering Slipper except under extreme circumstances. Big outlandish prediction for the list - Tilse to have an awesome 2011 and make the bench!!!!!!!!!!!!! or not.

Backs reserves: Beale, Burgess, Barnes - JO'C a close 4th.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
For me:

Robinson
Polatu-Nau
Alexander
Horwill
Sharpe
Elsom
Pocock
Palu

Genia
Cooper
Mitchell
Giteau
Ashley-Cooper
Ioane
Beale

Moore
Slipper
Vickerman/Mumm/Simmons
Hodgson
Burgess
JOC (James O'Connor)
Hynes

I don't think that sookface adds anything that JOC (James O'Connor), Beale, Giteau and Cooper don't, he is for me the 5th of those 5 and hence would not make my starting team. I also think that Beale has shown a lot over the last few weeks at fullback and would give him the permanent gig. A month ago I wouldn't, but with injuries, other players get to stake their claim and I think that Beale has done that.
Mitchell is the best wing in the country I think. He has power, speed, a step and can finish. He needs to play.
I put AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13, because I just dont feel Horne is at test standard yet. Maybe a couple more S14 seasons will do it. I hope so anyway. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been our most consistent performer in the backs over the last 3 or so years. Given a couple of games at 13 I think he could really make it his. He didnt blow anyone away in the last test, but then that was the first time he has played 13 for a while. Give him time there and he will step up.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
The Big Fat Pie Man said:
O'Connor has taken some time to become comfortable on the wing but showed against the Springboks in Pretoria he has found his feet.

Genia has yet to have a really bad game for the Wallabies.

Yet again, Grumbles shows what a complete tool he is. I understand he feels he probably has to show some loyalty to camp Wallaby to be allowed close to day-to-day action but some objectivity and a semblance of reality would be welcome occasionally.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hate to single just one thing out but I haven't seen anything of Rodney Davies to suggest he might be considered even close to a Wallaby standard outside centre. Unless he's suggesting him for the wing with Diggers being moved to 13.

OUTSIDE CENTRE: Rob Horne. There are ifs and buts about him. He continues to be thwarted by injury and has yet to be sighted fully stretched at Test level. But the potential is there, and as long as he can stay on the field he has the understanding of how to use space and good defensive work to make one of the most difficult positions of the field his. If Horne is unavailable, Ioane should shuffle to No.13, and Peter Hynes onto the wing. Two others who could come into contention for midfield spots are Will Chambers and Rod Davies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
1. Robinson
2. TPN
3. Alexander
4. Horwill
5. Sharpe
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. Giteau
13. Chambers
14. Ioane
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

16. Moore
17. Slipper
18. Mumm
19. Higginbotham
20. Burgess
21. Barnes
22. Horne

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Congratulations fp, you have picked a 22 with no fullbacks.

I reckon Beale would be handier on that bench than Barnes.

Not that he's a fullback either. But now I can hear naza's distant laughter because we are arguing about the reserve outside backs.

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
Has Growden got nothing better to do than dream about what might be if circumstances were different?

As I look out my window. it is raining lightly. I could write about how much fun it would be to mow the lawn on a fine sunny day. This would achieve nothing of real importance when the main goal is to clean up the kitchen and dining room for guests coming over tonight.

Greg needs to focus on reality not dreams.

In my fantasy world, my employer would pay me to follow the Men in Gold around the world on salary plus expenses, and make me write fairy tales which are loosely linked to reality. How good would that be?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Not that he's a fullback either. But now I can hear naza's distant laughter because we are arguing about the reserve outside backs.

Mitchell has played 15 for Aus, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a good 15 and better defensively than Beale.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Yes he has.

In fact, he picked the best fullback in the squad - AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

As good as Beale is with ball in hand I expect a Wallaby fullback to catch and tackle.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
No offence meant. I'm just sick of people picking everyone out of position like Deans does.

There are only three fullback candidates for me: Hynes, Turner, Shepherd.

Wings: Mitchell, Ioane, (Turner), Davies.

OC: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horne, Chambers

IC: Giteau, Barnes, Fainga'a, JOC (James O'Connor)

Reserve back: Beale - the guy adds spark wherever he comes in. Would leave him on the bench, though, if we just needed to defend.

My team would look nothing like Deans's. I fundamentally disagree with the policy of playing guys in every different position to see what they're best at, or what combinations work. Pick a team, then work out how that team needs to play (e.g., truck it up through 12, or use 12 as a seocnd playmaker, think about left and right kickers, think about 2nd phase realignment, all that coaching shit. Come up with a game plan to suit the configuration.

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
What an idiot... I know it's a very insightful comment but seriously? How is he a rugby journalist...

Status
Not open for further replies.