• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies world cup squad selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

How did he go Lee? was he running his usual against the grain lines, and smacking people in contact...?

I truly hope so, because there is almost no better sight in the game..

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
He was superb last week and not bad the week before either. He made a long try and nearly a second as his final pass was adjudged forward. Sure, it was just a club game but it was against Randwick, a decent team. Not to the point but Giteau had a good game for Randwick.

The best part of Horne's game was surviving a lot of hard hit's he gave and received, and his jack-in-the-box getting up to do tackle after tackle in a phase.

Some will say that others from the 30 should be preferred above him - and I tend to agree, because they have international form. I was just pointing out to the other poster that one performance in a well beaten team does not make a categorical statement a gospel.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Watched Rob Horne go around for Southern Districts today at Manly Oval, made some tackles, hit some rucks, did not see him touch the ball, ran as a "wood duck" every time Southerns back line ran the ball. Serious case of self imposed cotton wool, often was 5 m in front of the 12 before the halfback had fired the ball to the 10.
Be lucky(Faainga and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would need to be broken) to be on the bench by the world cup quarters on todays showing IMO.

Curious, who played inside him, it wasn't Apo was it?

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Deans obviously pays a lot of attention to Horne. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some runs early on in the RWC, and then it's game on for him.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I have been considering what a difference the change of Captain has made. I heve previously posted that I think that it was a good line in the sand to differentiate the former under performing Wallabies to the new improved winning team that is hopefully going to win the World Cup.

I honestly think that the change of Captain will have a massive effect on the team as a whole and will refocus their efforts to improve.

After coming to this conclusion the whole JOC (James O'Connor) incident occured and it got me thinking, do we need him? Can a new captain and dropping a star from the team achieve the focus required? I am sure if JOC (James O'Connor) was dumped the rest of the squad will get a feeling for how important it is to dedicate your life 24/7 for the next couple of months to winning the Cup.

JOC (James O'Connor) is a true talent, but I think he can be covered adequately if he was dropped. I realise I will be the only person who thinks this, but I would like to see him dumped completely from the WC squad (if possible???).

To me he has indicated a lazy disrespectful attitude to the team and surely the other members of the team must also be of this (or a similar) opinion. He should be gone for the good of the team. We have scrapped a captain who portrayed a scruffy persona, who could not be bothered shaving for a press conference and maybe this lazy attitude is what was wrong with the former team.

Hopefully the Big Kev Wallaby era will be a team that shows respect to the game, the fans and to themselves and presents themselves a totally profesional unit that has one goal, to be the best they can be.

Attitude is everything and we had lost our way, the future will be built on a strong team where everyone is working toward the team goals, not their own personal goals.

T

Tireless Backrower

I have been considering what a difference the change of Captain has made. I heve previously posted that I think that it was a good line in the sand to differentiate the former under performing Wallabies to the new improved winning team that is hopefully going to win the World Cup.

I honestly think that the change of Captain will have a massive effect on the team as a whole and will refocus their efforts to improve.

After coming to this conclusion the whole JOC (James O'Connor) incident occured and it got me thinking, do we need him? Can a new captain and dropping a star from the team achieve the focus required? I am sure if JOC (James O'Connor) was dumped the rest of the squad will get a feeling for how important it is to dedicate your life 24/7 for the next couple of months to winning the Cup.

JOC (James O'Connor) is a true talent, but I think he can be covered adequately if he was dropped. I realise I will be the only person who thinks this, but I would like to see him dumped completely from the WC squad (if possible???).

To me he has indicated a lazy disrespectful attitude to the team and surely the other members of the team must also be of this (or a similar) opinion. He should be gone for the good of the team. We have scrapped a captain who portrayed a scruffy persona, who could not be bothered shaving for a press conference and maybe this lazy attitude is what was wrong with the former team.

Hopefully the Big Kev Wallaby era will be a team that shows respect to the game, the fans and to themselves and presents themselves a totally profesional unit that has one goal, to be the best they can be.

Attitude is everything and we had lost our way, the future will be built on a strong team where everyone is working toward the team goals, not their own personal goals.

Well said.
Lachie Turner would have been on time, if not necessarily clean shaven, and grateful for the chance. O'Connor as the sacrificial lamb - perhaps he could register that trade mark for his brand: "Sacrificial Lamb (TM)"

U

Utility Back

Turner may have been on time, but he cant do half the things JOC (James O'Connor) can.
I get that aggravation to his laziness (i mean really how do you miss the biggest announcement of your career) but dumping him from the squad? Overkill, big time. He's buggered up, hes 21, scare the shit out of him with the dropping for a game or a big fine, but we are trying to win the bloody thing, and we need our best players, remember who scored the last points in bled 4 last year?
And considering JOC (James O'Connor) is close mates with quade, beale and genia, i might doubt how much positivity such a dumping would have for the squad.

H

high tower

Re Rob Horne, interesting that Lee says he was hard at it pre World cup selection, if thats the case then not sure why he played v Manly because he clearly didn't want the ball. I reckon his a brilliant player, worth going to see in a club game generally but not yesterday. Southern were in the game, playing without Apo who had been hospital during the week according to one of his teammates.
Plenty of young guys in there backline at 10 and 15 so maybe Horne was there to play big brother.

T

Tireless Backrower

Turner may have been on time, but he cant do half the things JOC (James O'Connor) can.
I get that aggravation to his laziness (i mean really how do you miss the biggest announcement of your career) but dumping him from the squad? Overkill, big time. He's buggered up, hes 21, scare the shit out of him with the dropping for a game or a big fine, but we are trying to win the bloody thing, and we need our best players, remember who scored the last points in bled 4 last year?
And considering JOC (James O'Connor) is close mates with quade, beale and genia, i might doubt how much positivity such a dumping would have for the squad.

You may be right - these are lesson he should have been taught on each of his prior visits to the team meeting room

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Well said.
Lachie Turner would have been on time, if not necessarily clean shaven, and grateful for the chance. O'Connor as the sacrificial lamb - perhaps he could register that trade mark for his brand: "Sacrificial Lamb (TM)"

Turner may have gotten there on time, but he'd never have gotten round the ticket collector.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
If you are good enough, you are old enough. He is good enough to play an adult game, he should also act like an adult. 21 is old enough to be responsible for your actions. Maybe if he was 17-18 I would understand but he should know better.
He is certainly one of our better players, but I dont think he is irreplaceable, yes he scroed points to win Bled 4 but remember that other players are also capable of scoring, remember KB (Kurtley Beale)'s efforts in SA, I am sure we can replace his skills well enough to not effect our chances. His kicking abilities are probably only about one or two successful kicks over the World Cup. I think we can replace his Wing abilities easily as well.

I dont think we should be picking players based on who their friends are, his friends in the team would be upset if he was dropped, but when they have time to realise why this has occured then they might realise that the WC is a bit more important.

U

Utility Back

Im not saying his actions weren't stupid, im saying they are nowhere near grounds enough to dump him from the world cup. He is and should be responsible for his actions, but make sure the punishment isn't overkill for the sake of it. I struggle to see him waking up red-eyed and saying---'fuck it, robbie knows he cant do it without me, back to sleep.' Let him know this aint acceptable, but he WOULD already have known that, i reckon he just fucked up big time.

I'm not saying he deserves special treatment for who his friends are im saying that the argument that his dumping would help focus or help the team is IMO wrong, it would be a major unnecessary distraction, and all for what? To make a statement to the other players?

I never said he was irreplaceable (although IMO there aren't any players who would do any better), my point was that his previous performances have proven him to be a major asset to this side, and we would be silly to ignore that, would dumping outweigh the benefits of keeping him? IMHO fuck no.

Apologies for the thread jack.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
On Monday 5 September make sure you're at Sydney Square, Town Hall, at 12.30pm to farewell the 30 Wallabies charged with the responsibility of claiming Australia's third Rugby World Cup title. After the formalities to open proceedings, the Wallabies World Cup squad will be presented to the crowd before signing autographs and taking photos with fans.

In 2011 Australians from all walks of life have thrown their support behind One Team - the Wallabies. Be part of the crowd on Monday to wish them well and show your support for One Team in 2011. If you can't make it to Sydney then tune in to Fox Sports, Channel 513 as they broadcast the official farewell live.

The Wallabies Official Rugby World Cup Farewell
12.30pm, Monday 5 September
Sydney Square, Town Hall

Status
Not open for further replies.