• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies world cup squad selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Okay so I realise there is still some time before we know the likely make up of the world cup squad, but I am already anxious and excited about the Wallabies’ performance at this years tournament.

My excitement is geared by the fact that I actually think we have enough talent to lift the trophy. To win the World cup I think your team needs to boast players in a number of positions that could rightfully stake a claim to being the best in the business in their respective position. The wallabies have few in my opinion (Polota Nau, Ioane, Beale, Genia, Pocock).

My anxiety results from the knowledge that the Wallabies are only an injury or two away from trouble. It was great news today to hear that TPN’s knee injury, sustained against the saders, is not as bad as first thought, as there were initially fears that he may miss the world cup. If anyone noticed the difference in the Waratahs game without TPN on the field last weekend would agree that he is THE form hooker in world rugby. I know South African fans will argue for Bismark, but hell this is an aussie site for god sake.

Watching TPN play the last few weeks has proven to me that he should be one of the first chosen in Deans world cup side. TPN has that hard edge in defense and attack that other teams fear. A hard edge that the wallabies forwards have been guilty of lacking over the years. Another man who has that required physicality is Palu. His absence last year should not be underestimated. The big difference between the end-of-year tour in 2009 and 2010 was Palu. His presence in 2009 made the wallabies pack more aggressive, which is really the most important attribute in attempting to silence northern hemisphere teams. More-importantly Palu’s strength at the back of the scrum put the brakes on the pack. His weight at the back will be welcomed back with open arms.

Anyway, with all of that said, I though I’d do my best of picking my 30 man squad, and would like to know the make-up of your squad.

Props

1. Robinson (starting)
2. Alexander (starting)
3. Slipper (bench)
4. Palmer – maybe a bit too early to count him in, but he has been solid in the scrums and looks like a genuine bolter
5. Baxter – say what you will about Baxter, but experience is key at scrum time. He is solid and if you put him in there with TPN and Robinson there is a ready made combination.

Hookers

6. TPN (starting)
7. Moore (bench) - both are quality choices but id go with TPN for the reasons stated above.
Locks

8. Sharpe (starting) – nuf said
9. Horwill (starting) – is always a bit slow finding his groove after coming back from injury but will be back to his best by then.
10. Vickerman (Bench) – a big call at this stage of the year, but he is pure class and id be shocked if he is not at the WC. Is perfectly suited to come off the bench.
11. Simmons (backup) – Great work rate and I like the idea of mixing to veterans with two younger guys in the 2nd row.

Backrowers

12. Pocock (starting)
13. Elsom (starting)
14. Palu (starting)
15. McCalman (backup/bench) – proved last year he is wallaby material.
16. Mumm (backup/bench) – His versatility should win him a spot.
17. Waugh – I’d include him as a backup to pocock. He is one of only 5 or 6 world class fetchers in the world and if Pocock gets injured, or needs a rest, I want Waugh in my side.

Backs

18. Genia (starting)
19. Burgess (bench)
20. Cooper (starting)
21. Barnes (starting)
22. Giteau (bench)
23. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (starting outside)
24. Ioane (bench) – hard to say which of Ioane and O’Conner I’d place on the bench but if O’Connor is going to be the kicker I’d go with Ioane, who provides cover for outside and wing.
25. Mitchell (starting wing)
26. O’Connor (starting wing)
27. Beale (starting fulback)
28. Horne (backup outside)
29. Turner (backup utility)
30. Davies (backup wing)

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Hard to see Deans benching the incumbent wallabies captain, but i'd probably have to agree with you if we were going on form last year. Elsom might benefit from losing the captain tag. it might help him find some form

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
McCabe for Davies, Hodgeson for Waugh. Can't see Mumm and Baxter making it either.

And I'd be starting JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 and Ioane on the wing, with Burgess, Barnes and Horne on the bench. Burgess maybe starting over genia depending on form.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Alexander is a much better Loosehead than tight I think he'll be on the bench.

Who's 3rd choice hooker & halfback?

Got to have a 3rd choice hooker & Halfback in a RWC squad so I'd drop a 1 backrower & 1 prop from the squad.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
It was great news today to hear that TPN’s knee injury, sustained against the saders, is not as bad as first thought, as there were initially fears that he may miss the world cup.

I can't find anything on his injury. So what's the news how long is he out for.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Disco, I'd have Giteau act as my back up third halfback. Hooker I hadn't thought about, but I suppose Id bring Saia in and drop Mumm or maybe Davies out.

TPN was originally thought to have a season-ending anterior cruciate ligament injury however it is expected that scans will show he has damaged a posterior cruciate ligament or just badly bruised his knee joint. TPN says if that is the case he will probably just play with the injury. So he should be on the sideline for less than a month

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
TPN says if that is the case he will probably just play with the injury. So he should be on the sideline for less than a month
Right.... I thought last year would have been a good enough lesson about the folly of that

Sent with Tapatalk

P

Parra GM

IMO the sooner the Fox Sports commentators cease and desist all of the crap about Ben Robbo being the best loosehead in the world the better. The problem with the Wallaby scrum is that they play 2 looseheads. Alexander is not a tighthead. Again, IMO, i think the sooner they make the call to pick Alexander as a test loosehead the better. He is a better scrummager than Robbo and at the moment, even Robbo would admit he is way below his best form. He can't even unseat Kepu ffs. Slipper is an effective tighthead and will only get better. So my starting front row (barring injury of course) would be Alexander, Taaf, Slipper.

As for the locks, this is one of our achilles heels. Sharpe is not the best scrummager and Horwill has picked up some injuries. But again barring injury, these 2 will be the starting locks in the first pool match. Count on Vickerman being in the touring squad, they wouldn't be bringing him back if he wasnt going to be on the plane. Once he is in the squad, he'll end up in the starting team, most likely at the expense of Sharpe (remember Deans has dropped him before).

Backrow will be interesting............Friday's Tahs v Crusaders match was a clear indicator that Waugh is incapable of winning the ball at the breakdown. He is handy enough to slow it down, but he wont win a steal. Plus, they wont take anyone who is not contracted to the ARU. Elsom has not been the same since he returned from his sojorn in Ireland. His head swelled immensely and I still believe its a mistake to have him as a captain..at any level. If fit, he will start though as he's the incumbent. It remains to be seen if he will hit some decent form. I think back to that freakish win v the AB's in Hong Kong. When we were hammering their line searching for that match winning try after the bell, Greg Martin made a very astute comment...............'they need a leader out there'. During all of that Elsom was no-where to be seen. So the backrow will definitely have Pocock at 7, but if Elsom is not on form, perhaps Higginbotham may come into play. Palu will be 8 with Brown in the squad as back up. Though I think Mowen offers more than Brown.

The 9s will be Genia and Burgess.
10 should be Barnes. At the moment I think Barnes is the number 1 10 with JOC (James O'Connor) number 2 and Cooper 3, Giteau 4.All 4 of these players will be on the plane.
12 is a worry. Coz the AB's will have Nonu and SBW at 12 at varying stages, so we need a solid defender in there. I think it should be JOC (James O'Connor).
13 will be AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) with Digby considered as back up. I dont rate Mortlocks chances at all atm, he will get better with more game time under his belt but his best is defintely past him. Horne will be on the plane and most likely in Mortlocks place.
Hynes, Mitchell, Beale, Shepherd, Gerrard, Davies, Turner, Cummins to fight out for other spots.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
IMO the sooner the Fox Sports commentators cease and desist all of the crap about Ben Robbo being the best loosehead in the world the better. The problem with the Wallaby scrum is that they play 2 looseheads. Alexander is not a tighthead. Again, IMO, i think the sooner they make the call to pick Alexander as a test loosehead the better. He is a better scrummager than Robbo and at the moment, even Robbo would admit he is way below his best form. He can't even unseat Kepu ffs. Slipper is an effective tighthead and will only get better. So my starting front row (barring injury of course) would be Alexander, Taaf, Slipper.
Didn't seem to display that form last night, but I agree about Slipper, who gave him a torrid time last night. Alexander is great in the loose, but lacking in scrumming on either side. If Robinson is in form, I would say he was the better LHP. Whichever side Alexander plays, it should be the same at provincial and Test level, and he needs to work more on the set pieces. Just my opinion.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Disco, I'd have Giteau act as my back up third halfback. Hooker I hadn't thought about, but I suppose Id bring Saia in and drop Mumm or maybe Davies out.

TPN was originally thought to have a season-ending anterior cruciate ligament injury however it is expected that scans will show he has damaged a posterior cruciate ligament or just badly bruised his knee joint. TPN says if that is the case he will probably just play with the injury. So he should be on the sideline for less than a month
Aaah, the Phil Waugh rehab program. That should be good.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
This is the era of the 100kg+ inside centre with players like Hape of England, Jauzion of France, Sgarbi of Italy, Nonu and Williams of New Zealand, Morrison of Scotland and de Villiers of South Africa.

I'll go out on a limb and say it. We need a big workhorse 12 in the Wallaby squad and there is only one in Australia.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
This is the era of the 100kg+ inside centre with players like Hape of England, Jauzion of France, Sgarbi of Italy, Nonu and Williams of New Zealand, Morrison of Scotland and de Villiers of South Africa.

I'll go out on a limb and say it. We need a big workhorse 12 in the Wallaby squad and there is only one in Australia.

Cooper Vuna. Awesome call.

Status
Not open for further replies.