• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies world cup squad selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
well, he is the form Aus 12 after 3 weeks ............................

True, however Lealiifano was the form Aussie 12 after 5 rounds last year, and Fainga'a the form 12 for the remaining games, yet neither were considered as proper options when the first Wallabies team was picked...

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
If we want bigger talented athletic centres, this week I would have AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Iaone as 12/13s

9 Genia/Burgess - my jury is still out
10 Barnes
11 Mitchell
12 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - he has had limited time there, but looked good, he makes the gain line easily and is an excellent defender
13 Iaone
14 JOC (James O'Connor)
15 Beale

I'm all for this backline FP, although I'd be shifting AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Iaone out one and move JOC (James O'Connor) into 12. Defensively the backline would be solid and with Genia, Cooper and Horne on the bench you've got plenty of depth.

P

Parra GM

Interesting you think Alexander is a better scrummager than Robinson.

I reference the France game and when he came on for Kepu in the Crusaders game.

Your inference is that the tahs scrum improved on Friday night.................as I saw it, the longer the game went, the clearer the Tahs scrum tactic became.........get it in, get it over with asap before the weight came thru. Crockett and Franks DESTROYED them.

P

Parra GM

If we want bigger talented athletic centres, this week I would have AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Iaone as 12/13s

10 Barnes
11 Mitchell
12 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - he has had limited time there, but looked good, he makes the gain line easily and is an excellent defender
13 Iaone
14 JOC (James O'Connor)
15 Beale

I'm not talking about having bigger centres. I'm talking about having centres who are very good defenders. If we continue to pick Cooper at 10, in the big games he will be a liability. For example the AB's would just run Nonu, SBW, Thorn, Kaino at him all day long and even though Barnes, Giteau and JOC (James O'Connor) are small, they are all very good defenders. Their attack is obviously sensational and with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in there at 13 hitting straight lines becomes quite potent. Unfortunately though, IMO, I dont think once you get to 1/4 final stages of the world cup any side could afford to carry players with the defensive record of Quade and Kurtley in its starting 15 together.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm not talking about having bigger centres. I'm talking about having centres who are very good defenders. If we continue to pick Cooper at 10, in the big games he will be a liability. For example the AB's would just run Nonu, SBW, Thorn, Kaino at him all day long and even though Barnes, Giteau and JOC (James O'Connor) are small, they are all very good defenders. Their attack is obviously sensational and with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in there at 13 hitting straight lines becomes quite potent. Unfortunately though, IMO, I dont think once you get to 1/4 final stages of the world cup any side could afford to carry players with the defensive record of Quade and Kurtley in its starting 15 together.

Kurtley is no longer a defensive liability. Its like saying Muliaina is crap defensively because he's been beaten one on one by Coleman and a few other Aussies. When a good, fast, stepping winger or centre is in the open and running at top speed directly at you, I reckon your chances are less than 25%. Is he as good as Marty Roebuck defensively? Probably not, but what world fullback is? Who would you select instead?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Your inference is that the tahs scrum improved on Friday night.................as I saw it, the longer the game went, the clearer the Tahs scrum tactic became.........get it in, get it over with asap before the weight came thru. Crockett and Franks DESTROYED them.

I would agree that Crocket and Franks destroyed the Tah scrum after TPN went off. Up till then it was looking pretty even. But the worst of it was when Kepu was at LHP and it improved a bit when Fat Cat came on. But I think that scrum might have destroyed anyone last Friday night. We'll find out on Friday when Australia's best scrummaging THP and one of Australia's worst scrummaging LHP's comes up against the Saders front row. Moore and Palmer won't be ambushed and will be better prepared from what they saw, but I think they'll get a shellacking too, mainly on the loose head side. Suggest we wait till Friday before having the debate.

T

TOCC

the Brumbies scrum seems a bit of a enigma at the moment, against the Rebels i thought it was purely dominant, but against the Reds it seemed rather lacklustre, they either win the hit or they collapse...

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
the Brumbies scrum seems a bit of a enigma at the moment, against the Rebels i thought it was purely dominant, but against the Reds it seemed rather lacklustre, they either win the hit or they collapse...

The Rebels scrum is not real good. The Tahs, who were smashed on Friday, gave the Rebels a lesson in going backwards.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

10 Barnes
11 Mitchell
13 Iaone
14 JOC (James O'Connor)
15 Beale
If you play that centre combo, why have wingers? Neither can / will pass.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
True, however Lealiifano was the form Aussie 12 after 5 rounds last year, and Fainga'a the form 12 for the remaining games, yet neither were considered as proper options when the first Wallabies team was picked...

Yep, and I rate Fainga'a as no better than the other two, all three don't have the talent to be quality wallabies.

S

Skippy

Lots of good points made already. For me, I agree wholeheartedly that we are 'not the all blacks' and therefore we need to focus on what works for us - i.e. having the most skillful backline etc as we don't have the same size as NZ. I would like to see however a return to the creative first phase backline moves of which australia was always renowed.

Remember, Australia was always the 'smartest' and trend setters of world rugby and I feel we've lost that. I hope we can re-discover it. Please Robbie, get on the phone to Muggleton, Macqueen, Foley and build bridges and tap into these resources for the betterment of Aus rugby. I even think Larkham has a lot to offer as a backs coach... and even Andrew Johns could bring something to the team with a couple of sessions during the preparation for the WC.

Yes, TPN and Palu will make a big difference, if fit and firing. and I agree Baxter and Gerrard, experienced internationals would be valuable additions to the squad. And like Waugh, their consumate proffesionalism would be invaluable with such a young squad even if they are nothing but tackle bag holders at training.
Yes, there is a big issue re Alexander and playing tighthead/loosehead. I really feel the Brumbies need to do the 'best thing' for Australia and move Alexander across. If this was NZ I'm pretty sure an outfit over there would accomodate the requests of Graham Henry and co for the benefit of NZ.
But for me, the biggest issue is not who you put at 12 it's the issue of Quade's defence. I was quite shocked to see the Reds are hiding him at present and I feel that despite his brilliance, hiding him is not helping him get any better, and thus not helping the Wallabies. How can Deans pick him and expect him to defend at 10 in the WC if he's spent the whole Super 15 hiding on the blind wing or positioned at fullback? Yes, he's a talent... and I want him to be in the team. But I don't want to lose the WC because a full time highly paid professional can't make a tackle.
Sadly... I think players like Rooney, Vuna etc have left their run a bit late to get into the WC but I am excited that in the years following the WC we do have plenty of talent coming through and I look forward to seeing the Force hooker (cant think of his name) Inman, To'omua, Dave Dennis, Palmer, Weeks and Fairbrother, Kingi and so on (amongst other good players out there) contribute more to the Wallaby fold after the WC.

T

TOCC

Fairbrother has 'allegedly' signed with Harlequins for next year... he wont be representing the Wallabies in 2011

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
This is the era of the 100kg+ inside centre with players like Hape of England, Jauzion of France, Sgarbi of Italy, Nonu and Williams of New Zealand, Morrison of Scotland and de Villiers of South Africa.

I'll go out on a limb and say it. We need a big workhorse 12 in the Wallaby squad and there is only one in Australia.

Of course you say that Mrs Carter and good on you for putting your son's name forward.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
This is the era of the 100kg+ inside centre with players like Hape of England, Jauzion of France, Sgarbi of Italy, Nonu and Williams of New Zealand, Morrison of Scotland and de Villiers of South Africa.

I'll go out on a limb and say it. We need a big workhorse 12 in the Wallaby squad and there is only one in Australia.

That is going out on a limb for anyone else but you!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think at the moment we are looking at the centres the wrong way. We have always had a smaller IC and big OC. I think NZ has it right with a big IC and more creative OC. The likes of Cooper and JOC (James O'Connor) particularly at flyhalf need a hard straight runner just outside them for the short ball, and when space runs out. Otherwise they have the cut out option to a 13 that can set up his wingers and fullback, or run himself.

So I want a straight running IC with good short passing skills and great defence and a speedy OC with also good passing skills.

I would be happy to see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) get another go at IC, as well as Rob Horne.

OC is a little more difficult, but we might try the likes of Giteau or even JOC (James O'Connor). If we can't find an OC that fits the bill, then just put another of those strong defenders/straight running types, and use Beale as your outside creative player.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Presumably you would want to include at least one inside centre in the squad who actually plays the position on a regular basis.

A few comparatives from the Foxsport stats of the Australian 12s from Round 3:

Fainga'a made 19 tackles with 3 misses 19-3; Carter 15-0; Fairbanks 13-5; Huxley 7-7; Coleman 1-0

Runs: Fairbanks had 8; Carter and Coleman 6; Huxley and Fainga'a 3

Tackles bust: Carter 2; Coleman and Huxley 1

Linebreaks: Carter and Huxley had one each; Coleman created a linebreak

Errors: Huxley 2; Fairbanks 1

Long arm penalties: Carter, Fairbanks and Fainga'a each 1

Tries: Carter 1

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Am I the only one who saw Slipper binding on Alexander's arm all night - hence the scrum folding in?

Not defending him as a great scrummager, it's just what I saw on Sat

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)

I see your point Bruce, it's helpful having a 100kg+ 12 as that is where the most traffic in a rugby game is usually directed. You can add to that list Jamie Roberts as well.

However having watched these players over the past few years I feel that I'm in a position to challenge you on this.

Shontayne Hape: Big direct 12 however he rarely uses his bulk and looks for his footwork to get on the inside shoulder and offload. It's his go to move and I bet most small stepping centres could do the same thing. They would also be selected over him if they had the "image" of a 6ft2 100kg centre. He is overrated and is often shown up defensively in Bath colours. Shocking kicker.

Jauzion: Great player, strong, direct, offloads well and is a good defender. However in his age he has also lost a bit of pace and is often exposed in the line by quicker players. A few years back I witnessed Topsy Ojo floating past him with ease. Still class but his days are numbered if he loses any more pace. Alright kicker as well.

Nonu: Again great player and I think he is the best 12 in world rugby at the moment. Big guy and good in defence but hes not just a straight up bosh kind of player. Has excellent footwork and speed and a good fend. Have no qualms about him and he is the ideal 12 apart from a lack of a kicking game. Limited Kicker.

SBW: Bit of a freak and looks to have the goods. Again a big guy and solid defender. As you have seen he runs straight and offloads and has a good fend. Limited kicker.

Morrison: Fairly average, good tackler and a straight runner. No kicking game not very creative and does a job (ish).

De Villiers: Not as dominant as he used to be, lost a bit of pace due to dodgy knee and age. Good player back in the day and was a dominant defender. Interception king and limited kicking.

Sgarbi: Seen him play a few times for italy and although he is a good defender he hasn't really done much in attack so far. Cant comment on his kicking. Limited playmaker.

A lot of these 12's are selected because they can crash it up and defend. However they don't offer a realistic line breaking threat (besides SBW and Nonu). Even Roberts who was a quality player a couple of years ago has a limited game. Stick a flanker on him and he does jack shit.

Australia have this sort of player in Tom Carter (don't take offence Bruce) he can run straight, tackles hard and is developing a passing game. However he doesn't have the incisiveness that Nonu, SBW, Hook, JOC (James O'Connor), Giteau (back in the day not now of course), Contepomi, Juan De Jongh, D'Arcy (a few years ago), Flutey and a few others have.

The average weight of these players combined is: 93.55 kgs

These are some of the best linebreakers in International rugby and only two of them are over 100kgs.

hench

Johnnie Wallace (23)
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Drew Mitchell
12. James O'Connor
13. Rob Horne
14. Digby Ioane
15. Kurtly Beale

Status
Not open for further replies.