• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Interesting to see, Matty T won't have much game time by the time the Test's come around, will that see Beale or Lilo start at 12 .. or someone else.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
It's interesting how quickly Skelton has gone from being almost unselectable in most people's eyes (mostly due to scrummaging on the EOYT) to being almost a lock (no pun intended) in the starting XV.

Well the concerns raised were legit. To his credit he worked on them. He still causes lineout balance issues though. This is a big issue in test rugby might I add.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Really? They lost to the Rebels. I think Lilo is very over rated as a 10. I would have Mike Harris there before him.

Yes they did, but it is more than just one player that makes up a team. My comment was based on me thinking gee - who was that a number of times. I didn't watch the game intently so i may have missed errors.

jamey jones

Frank Nicholson (4)
1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Fardy/ Skelton
6. Pocock
7. Hooper
8. Palu

9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. JOC (James O'Connor)
12. To'omua
13. Kuindrani
14. Speight
15. Folau

16. Tatafu
17. Scott Sio
18. Alo Emil
19. Skelton/ Fardy
20. Gill/ Higginbotham
21. Genia
22. Cooper
23. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
This is actually pretty weird, guys.

I can't remember a time where we all agreed on so many positions. Almost everyone has picked the same team, with one or two small variations.

Just thought I'd point that out because it really is quite unusual.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

I can't remember a time where we all agreed on so many positions. Almost everyone has picked the same team, with one or two small variations.

I think it's a reflection that we're pretty close to knowing what our best 23 is and that several blokes have nailed down a spot, injuries permitting. It's a good point though.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

It also looks like most people wouldn't disagree too much if it went the other way on some of the main points of variation, which is nice. I think the looming world cup has everyone more mindful of experience and looking at it a bit more conservatively, that might be limiting some of the usual wild choices. I'm sure it'll all fall to shit again once the test season starts. ;)

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Cheika will probably end up picking a completely different side

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I doubt it. He has shown no evidence that he will.

We used to say that about Deans, remember? You'd have to pick two teams- the one you would pick, and the one Robbie will pick. There would be at least 7 or 8 differences. Those were the days.

I can't cope with all this consistent selection of the best players available, in their correct position. It's doing my fucking head in. Come back Robbie, please!

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
As a Brumbies fan am I the only one who thinks Larkham isn't really the greatest "attack coach". I mean has the Brumbies attack really been that great since his appointment?

I think the Brumbies strengths are the structures, commitment by the forwards, overall workrate, etc. but it certainly isn't creativity in attack.

Absolutely fantastic player, an attacking player, and my favourite of all time. But I am still working out what he is like as a coach. He is very fresh, basically just continued what Jake White set-up for him - although McKenzie did the same for Graham and he failed miserably so I guess that says something.

I would still like to see more creativity in attack from both the Brumbies and the Wallabies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
With a full-strength backline, the Brumbies have shown plenty of good attack in the past 2 years. Obviously, they are shuffling big-time at the moment to get bodies with experience on the field. I think Larkham is OK. I think the re-shuffled backline is just a bit down on familiarity and confidence, and playing as such. Not having White, To'omua, Kuridrani there, and Speight out of position does not make for an easy recipe for attack. Also, their kicking game has not been as deadly as previously, and the positive effect that had on their play previously getting them in attacking zones cannot be under-estimated.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think Bernie will be fine. With the right troops at his disposal he'll do good things. The Brumbies played some good footy when his rock stars were out there.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Also mark me down as someone who doesn't think Cheika is anything like Deans. He hasn't shown too much at the Tahs and his limited time with the Wallabies to suggest that he's likely to make us go WTF? when the team is named.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
As a Brumbies fan am I the only one who thinks Larkham isn't really the greatest "attack coach". I mean has the Brumbies attack really been that great since his appointment?

I think the Brumbies strengths are the structures, commitment by the forwards, overall workrate, etc. but it certainly isn't creativity in attack.

Absolutely fantastic player, an attacking player, and my favourite of all time. But I am still working out what he is like as a coach. He is very fresh, basically just continued what Jake White set-up for him - although McKenzie did the same for Graham and he failed miserably so I guess that says something.

I would still like to see more creativity in attack from both the Brumbies and the Wallabies.

I think Bernie has shown that he can get a good attacking structure going in some games, but it looks to me almost as though the Defense/Scrum coaching is now taking precedence (maybe due to the important missing players). Dan McKellar is the forwards coach and they are now relying heavily on the tactics he had the Vikings playing in the NRC, without a lot of success I might add. I really think it would be best if the Brumbies upped the tempo at set piece and let the backs have a bit of a go. Certainly the way they're playing atm gives no confidence that they will make the play-offs.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I think Bernie has shown that he can get a good attacking structure going in some games, but it looks to me almost as though the Defense/Scrum coaching is now taking precedence (maybe due to the important missing players). Dan McKellar is the forwards coach and they are now relying heavily on the tactics he had the Vikings playing in the NRC, without a lot of success I might add. I really think it would be best if the Brumbies upped the tempo at set piece and let the backs have a bit of a go. Certainly the way they're playing atm gives no confidence that they will make the play-offs.

I have to agree with this. With the loss of the big attacking weapon in Kurindrani and To'omua's direction I have to say the tactics look like he has gone into his shell somewhat and reverted to the "safe" low risk game plans. Considering the stars will be back later in the season it is the pragmatic response to attempt to maximise bonus points in losses and scrape through the wins.

But even still if they are going to play a conservative game plan, they need to decide if they are going for touch (which I would suggest is wise against most sides given the strength of their set piece) and kick accurately for it. If they want to play contestable kicks they need to make the kicks contestable and actually chase effectively and so on.

I just don't know if the pragmatic approach is the best, the squad will have trained to play to a certain broad plan all year and this change is a bit like a Deans RWC 2011 moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.