• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
T

TOCC

For anyone who still questions Ben McCalman's impact on matches

To be fair, if these sort of stats were the norm then everyone on here would be supporting him as the starting number 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
You'd have to be blind not to see that McCalman has been in career best form over the last 8 months. Great news for the Wallabies heading into the WC.

My only problem with Ben is that he's not really a dominant ball runner at test level. Palu is better at bending the line. Again I guess it comes down to balance.

T

TOCC

You'd have to be blind not to see that McCalman has been in career best form over the last 8 months.

Not blind... I just rarely watch Western Force matches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I see McCalman and Palu sharing 80 minutes with both available. One will get 50, the other 30.

I see a bench of Skelton, Higgers & McCalman with either Hooper or Pocock budgeted for 80 minutes.

Skelton coming on for a full on 30, Fardy finishing at lock, with Higgers & McCalman playing 6/8 respectively.

So the only two forwards to play 80 would be the openside & Fardy

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
this thread is about to get a whole lot more interesting....

EDIT: not as much as I thought but I guess we'll see Giteau, Smith and Mitchell and possibly Douglas pop up in a few proposed squads..

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Drew Mitchell? No chance.

Douglas? Only if he gets released from Leinster and comes home.........

Giteau? Only if we have injuries...........

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would pick Giteau in a WC squad but not the best 23. Valuable experience for the younger players and those without WC experience and could lead the side against Fiji and Uruguay.

Ma'afu would be my 2nd best tighthead. Mitchell mayyybbe only because I think we're short of class finishers but definitely not Ioane.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I would pick Giteau in a WC squad but not the best 23. Valuable experience for the younger players and those without WC experience and could lead the side against Fiji and Uruguay.

Ma'afu would be my 2nd best tighthead. Mitchell mayyybbe only because I think we're short of class finishers but definitely not Ioane.

Ma'afu hasn't played 60 test for Australia. Its 60 tests and 7 years service.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Some of the initial stories said 7 years or 60 caps so there was some early confusion as to who would be eligible.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
A few things.

A. "Under the revised Policy, players returning to Australia from overseas who make a two-year commitment to an Australian Super Rugby Club will also be eligible to represent the Qantas Wallabies immediately upon their return."

Isn't this already the status quo? I am pretty sure a number of guys have signed with Super clubs and - before they've played a game of Super rugby - have been picked for the Wallabies. Can't think of any examples but still fairly certain. (I'll see if I can come up with any and I'll post them in an edit, feel free to point out if I am wrong).

To my understanding this rule would prevent someone like Kane Douglas or Sitaleki Timani (et al.) from signing to play for 2 years when their overseas contract expires in a few years (i.e. 2016 for Sita, 2017 for Douglas) in order to play in the world cup?

I am disappointed these two, particularly Kane, can't be selected, and I'm sort of holding out that this could be a loophole that lets them play in the RWC. Pretty sure you're only allowed to play at the point at which you return to Australian soil.

B. Has anybody thought about Rocky Elsom? Absolute wildcard, I don't rate him at all (and obviously wouldn't pick him in the squad) but he does have 75 caps. Haven't seen him on any lists. Does he have the 7 years?

C. What's Giteau's kicking like up north? I will admit to not really watching much Northern Hemisphere rugby, and I'm very convinced that all other club competitions (Top 14, Japan, Aviva, etc.) are all well and truly below Super standard so I'm not very convinced that any of these guys - even if they're in good form up there - will be any decent. If Giteau can kick well then I am in favour of his selection, purely because our kickers are doing poorly at the moment. He would inject a bit of experience, particularly against NH opposition and on their fields, but I am skeptical about his speed, agility and fitness these days.

E. The above aside, I can definitely see Smith being selected, he was superb against the Lions and 2 years should not a massive difference make. Would significantly augment our back row stocks, not that they need much help.

F. Guys I would love to have in consideration for RWC: Mowen, Smith, S Timani, Kimlin, Douglas, Ioane, Mitchell, Giteau, Chisholm, Elsom, Barnes, Gerrard, Ma'afu, and Pyle. Please, please note that I do not reckon most, if any, of these guys should be in the 30, it just doesn't hurt to have more depth and competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.