• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Totally agree BR. My view is that the Cooper/To'omua axis offers the best combination of line breaking ability (QC (Quade Cooper)) and arse kicking defence (MT). Both can pass, both can kick and both can accelerate through a gap. Mainly though, Matt is a superb tackler and will gladly take all the traffic that Roberts and Co. pushes down his channel.
Them put last years kuindrani on the outside

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Vaea had another huge game last night.

His workrate is astonishing for someone 5 months back from 2.5 years out of the game and not being able to even run.

Even more impressive, is the impact he has which each run. He might be raw, and young, but he's gotta be in the squad this year. Unleash him off the bench with Pocock after 50mins, and let run riot.

Pocock to clean up at rucks with tiring cleanouts (less accurate, less force and co-operation), Vaea to get us over the advantage line, and provide some dominant tackles for Pocock to feed off.

Yeh def agree, may indeed be the bolter the wobs need to have, as a pure no.8 yardmaker, high work rate & d enforcer, he'd be a good asset with sound skillset - passing, running lines and support play. Would easily shed Palu, Higgers or McCalman to make room for him, all are good but have had their time, now is good time phase in a new backrow combo.

T

TOCC

Would easily shed Palu, Higgers or McCalman to make room for him, all are good but have had their time, now is good time phase in a new backrow combo.

A Rugby World Cup year is a good time to be brining in inexperienced players?

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
building on the stats posted above, my proposal for starting locks and blindside flanker:

4. Skelton
5. Simmons
6. Jones

based on those stats, that's probably right. although as we know the stats really only tell half the story. Effectiveness of each involvement is unknown (i.e. quantity doesn't always equal quality).

What I do take from those stats though is the following:-
- Scott Fardy's stats certainly don't put him ahead of the pack. Jones is probably, statistically the best 6/lock. Dennis' stats also measure up ok against Fardy.
- Higgers figures are surprisingly impressive. His stats show that he's clearly an impressive attacking player, with tackle Busts (somehow pulling Skelton like number) offloads and run metres much higher than the opposite numbers. At the same time his defensive involvement measures up favorably with the others with similar tackles made and a fairly low missed tackle ratio. His down fall is also Skeleton's downfall. Penalties and Errors. The penalties conceded stat is the real concern when considering the make up of the 8. I think Simmons (as the least penalised lock) counter balances Skelton well. These stats suggest to me that Higgers is maybe looming as an effective substitution for when Skelton comes off. Higgers brings a similar skill set, and perhaps similar weaknesses. I don't think you'd want to play them at the same time, based on these stats. Likewise you wouldn't want Higgers and Horwill both starting as I'd be worried about getting penalised off the park.
- Carter's figures are really poor. hard to justify his selection looking at those numbers.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
A Rugby World Cup year is a good time to be brining in inexperienced players?
Depends on the player, position and what is brought to the table.. Vaea is a solid player with a particular strong suit of bending and breaking the line. Currently of all the wobs forwards, only Hoops does that on a regular basis (and he's the smallest & youngest = taking risks). Further, no.8 is vacant to all contenders, noone owns it. Vaea plays with a number of wobs forwards and combines well with Fardy, Pocock. Yes the transition maybe slow, but it could equally be smooth based on a player, who indeed sat out 2.5yrs of his career.. excitement n enthusiasm would certainly fuel that transition. He's young and he's hungry. certainly qualities all WC squads will make room for.​

T

TOCC

But how many rounds did he miss?

He has played 5-7 less games then some of the other players listed, thus the statistic of "per match" gives a better indication and still reflects the same findings.

Simmons penalties per match ratio is less then the other players listed.. He is averaging one penalty every 7th game, Jones and Dennis are the next best and they are receiving a penalty every 3rd or 4th game..

Simmons sits second on tackle busts and off loads despite playing half the games of some of the others listed..

Perception is a funny thing..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
He has played 5-7 less games then some of the other players listed, thus the statistic of "per match" gives a better indication and still reflects the same findings.

Simmons penalties per match ratio is less then the other players listed.. He is averaging one penalty every 7th game, Jones and Dennis are the next best and they are receiving a penalty every 3rd or 4th game..

Simmons sits second on tackle busts and off loads despite playing half the games of some of the others listed..

Perception is a funny thing..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh we all know that Simmions isnt a penalty magnet.. what makes most people get the shits is that his are dumb.. He had pretty much cleared that up from 2013.. Now he does push lineout defense in tests where he comes across takes the man in the air etc...

I think his right at the age and experience that he should hit the next level to be a world class 2nd rower. what 26 50 tests good at everything.. he should be dominating the stats..

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Based on the stats, there is an equally strong case for a second row of Skelton/Jones. While the stats offer some other issues for consideration, they will not be the be all and end all to the selections.

I am starting to like the look of a starting second row/back row of Skelton, Simmons, Fardy, Pocock and ? (probably Palu but he does go missing early in games). Replacements then of Jones, and Higgers. Hooper included in games where his wider running would be of benefit.

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
I would think that Fardy's penalty rate is higher due the being harder on the ball he goes the Jackal more than a lot of 7s

This is definitely the case as we saw last year when the Brumbies played Butler (a more traditional 6/8 at 7) and Fardy at 6. If you have someone as talented as Pocock over the ball at 7, does Fardy still need to be playing the same role he's been playing?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
This is definitely the case as we saw last year when the Brumbies played Butler (a more traditional 6/8 at 7) and Fardy at 6. If you have someone as talented as Pocock over the ball at 7, does Fardy still need to be playing the same role he's been playing?

Teams are going to be structuring their forward attack to run the ball at Pocock and will be taking every opportunity to get up to off-the-ball shenanigans to keep him out of as many breakdowns as possible. Fardy would have plenty of opportunity to get over the ball.

Fardy's other attributes as a player mean we're not exactly losing out on much in any other department as compared to most of the other candidates for 6 either.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Let's do.

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu

Duh.

4. Skelton
5. Simmons

Almost as obvious.

6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu

Given that there is so little between all the options, you have to back the incumbents.

9. Phipps
10. Foley

Back the tahs pair. Phipps is the best halfback, and a cool head along with the established combination gives Foley an edge over others.

12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani

Again, back the combination. Both have been excellent at test level over the past few Windows, no need to change.

11. JOC (James O'Connor)
14. Speight
15. Folau

First controversial call. Speight and Folau are easy, and I personally think that the brand complements those 2 with a playmaker aspect on the wing. Harsh on Horne and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), but I think it's probably the best choice.

16. TPN
17. Sio
18. Holmes

TPN and Sio if fit are the obvious bench front rows, that is the only question on them. Holmes has been the form tighthead outside Kepu and deserves a chance at the top.

19. Jones
20. Higgenbotham/Pocock/McCalman

Jones is the form lock. Can't split the backrowers and they're all in the squad anyway.

21. Genia
22. Cooper
23. Horne

Reds pairing are best together. Horne over AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a 12 vs 15 cover issue, otherwise they're a 50/50 call. JOC (James O'Connor) and Foley cover 15, but no-one covers 12, so Horne gets the nod.

Hanson
PAE
Horwill
Other 2 of:
Higginbotham/Pocock/McCalman

Back rowers are easy. Hanson is the form Hooker outside Moore. Given Holmes and Kepu can both play loosehead, next best pure Tighthead is an easy choice. With Carter injured, and the rest inexperienced, Horwill is a straightforward choice, especially if he continues to play like he did against the Force.

White
Gits
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Need a 3rd halfback and Stirzaker is unfortunate to miss, but White is better. Beale vs Lilo vs Gits. Gits plays in European conditions. He's a lefty. He's in ripping form. Go Gits.

Outside the squad, in case of injuries and such, the obvious options based on form and experience are probably:

Saia
Latu
Robinson
T. Smith
Alexander
Dennis
McMahon
Gill
Stirzaker
Lilo
Beale
Tomane
Mitchell

Others would come into contention with more injuries or suspensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.