• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Really dont get Hunt making the Wallabies when we already have too many great backs. honestly where would he fit in? Rather see a younger guy get a start in tge wider squad.

Made a similar commentmyself when interim squad announced. Someone said they need extras to train against.

If he's just used as a tackle bag then that's fine.

HE iddn't show anything in 2015 to warrant selection in this group, let alone the Reds IMO.

After the revelations this week I don't think he would be surrounded by close mates. Most of his old close mated are currently laying splattered on the road after being chucked under the bus.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Ezebeth, Retallic and the like. Bring them in when they are young and let them play and learn alongside experienced test players if they have the physical capability.
If we roll out the same forward pack from the EOYT playing to their potential we may perform well and get to the knockout stages. I think we need more than that to really do well.
I guess it depends on what the goal is for us this year. Make the semis and be happy with that?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Are you trying to tell me that Sean McMahon isn't the greatest backrower of all time?

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeah, I remember you posting about this in detail a few pages ago.

This strange expectation that somehow the coach owes it to fans to show us that someone new isn't ready for test rugby against the best sides because we don't trust that he can make that decision on hi own based on what he's seen in Super Rugby and on the training paddock.

What? No.

I just don't feel that following the same path that has led to mediocre results will net anything more than that again.
The coach owes the fans nothing. He owes his employers the best he can do with the cattle he has.
If he does exactly what the last bloke did then they will most likely be no happier than they were previously.

I am hoping that Cheika has something a little different up his sleeve.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Made a similar commentmyself when interim squad announced. Someone said they need extras to train against.

If he's just used as a tackle bag then that's fine.

HE iddn't show anything in 2015 to warrant selection in this group, let alone the Reds IMO.

After the revelations this week I don't think he would be surrounded by close mates. Most of his old close mated are currently laying splattered on the road after being chucked under the bus.

Really JOC (James O'Connor) & Cooper are on the bus... I 'm not sure where JOC (James O'Connor) will fit in either...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ezebeth, Retallic and the like. Bring them in when they are young and let them play and learn alongside experienced test players if they have the physical capability.
If we roll out the same forward pack from the EOYT playing to their potential we may perform well and get to the knockout stages. I think we need more than that to really do well.
I guess it depends on what the goal is for us this year. Make the semis and be happy with that?

Look how those guys were playing before they got selected. They were playing better on a consistent basis than the incumbent locks.

They weren't brought in because they were young. They were selected to play test rugby because they deserved to be selected.

Our goal should undoubtedly be to win the RWC. I agree that in order to give us the best chance of that we need to take some risks, but those risks should be around how we play the game. If we are too conservative we'll get beaten by sides that play better conservative style games than us (set piece, kicking and goal kicking) and by teams that have better players than us.

If we roll out a forward pack with some new players who are hit and miss at Super Rugby level, what is likely to happen?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Pocock seems to have a slight edge over Hooper to start - probably unfairly but there you have it.

Reckon there is no chance of them both being in the game day23 so Coach is going to make a tough call. Not all will agree, that's for sure.

Most of the team picks itself but, Numbers 4&5, 7 & 8, and 11 &14 are open a bit for me

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
With 35 being selected, I wouldn't be surprised to see Speight selected, despite suspension, just to be part of the training

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
With 35 being selected, I wouldn't be surprised to see Speight selected, despite suspension, just to be part of the training

From the snippets of comments in various articles, it sounds like this could just be the squad for the first two tests and some changes will be made after that.

I think Speight will be left out on the basis of missing the first two games.

Unless of course his suspension is reduced when his appeal is heard this afternoon.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, he's only missing 2 games (depending on the appeal)..........

They'll want him in the squad for the latter part of the RC and looking ahead into the RWC.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
When suspended he is allowed to train with the Wobs squad isn't he?

I seem to recall that part of KHunts suspension (imposed by Reds/ARU rather than Judiciary) was that he was not to train with the team during the suspension.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
With Higgenbotham gone and Hanson/Siliva at the rebels, I think Jones's lineout prowess will only improve. Currently I see the forwards as:

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Skelton
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Pocock
8. Higgenbotham

16. TPN
17. Sio
18. Holmes
19. Jones
20. Palu/Hooper

24. Hanson
25. Alexander
26. Carter/Horwill
27. McCalman
28. Hooper/Palu

With Dennis just outside the squad covering the non front-row and openside positions.

Can't pick the backs, too much going on in the 10-12 axis and the wings to decide. But MG will be selected to run as the 3rd nine for those just in case situations. In addition, he's got the left peg that virtually no one else does.

Status
Not open for further replies.