• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I like Nick Cummins but can't bare to watch his interviews anymore, its all starting to seem a little forced and rehearsed..But hey, people like it and it helps to get a little more exposure for the code.

When you talk about baring for his interviews, and getting exposure, it gets a little weird in here. ;)

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I like Cummins because be runs straight and hard, good support and is one of the hardest working wingers off the ball since Ben Tune.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I don't see why Chieka would be upset if Naiaravoro left for one year. If he, then, signed for 2 years in Aus he'd be immediately available to the Wallabies on return and could potentially never miss a Test match. Or is he still thinking with his Waratahs hat on?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
He hasn't been quite this lately, unfortunately. Maybe Cheika can re-boot him.

I kind of feel sorry for the poor bastard stuck on the wing in this years Force side. Fella needed a deck chair and a good book stuck out there.

I back him to thrive with the width Chieka plays with.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Nah more like "since you're fucking off next year, fuck off". Maybe in a little nicer terms :)

Seems a bit weird though - unless these are relatively recent developments. I would've thought Cheiks already knew what was going on with him to include him in the squad in the first place. I'm still being a cynic and thinking just bloody cap him to scupper any Scottish/Fijian rep chances but that opens the value of the jersey issue I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I like Cummins because be runs straight and hard, good support and is one of the hardest working wingers off the ball since Ben Tune.

Feel like he is such a nothing option though, may as well put Lachie turner in there he is faster, can kick and has a high involvement off the ball especially in hitting rucks.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I don't see why Chieka would be upset if Naiaravoro left for one year. If he, then, signed for 2 years in Aus he'd be immediately available to the Wallabies on return and could potentially never miss a Test match. Or is he still thinking with his Waratahs hat on?
Chieka's 'upset' is projection by people who dislike the idea of MacAvoro getting capped.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Feel like he is such a nothing option though, may as well put Lachie turner in there he is faster, can kick and has a high involvement off the ball especially in hitting rucks.

Lachie is the forgotten man of Australian rugby. He has all the skills.

T

TOCC

Possibly the break has freshened him up, but I expect Tomane to take Horne's spot. The key question is then who defends for Cooper?

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Cheika often have Horne defending in Foley's channel off line-outs and some scrums with Foley defending down the blindside.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Cheika often have Horne defending in Foley's channel off line-outs and some scrums with Foley defending down the blindside.

At lineouts Foley defended where Gits was on Saturday (with Hooper defending at 10), off scrums he defends at 10, Horne covered Beale

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

We see this allot now off line outs, when you look at the reasoning behind it there is some common sense that comes with it.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A lot of lineout plays often have a backrower or powerful centre running off first ball, so it makes sense to have another forward defending in that channel................

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Over complicated. Only time Cooper shouldn't defend the 10 channel is when a kick is anticipated and he can be used for counter attack at the back. Otherwise we lose counter attack opportunity up front in the line from turn over ball.

This is a core reason the Cooper To'omua combination worked well because we could cover both scenarios well.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
He made plently of good plays too. He was activily involved with good results. Sure a bit of misfiring by all last night. He certainly wasnt the problem

Made one good run where he beat defenders on the outside and then muffed the pass to Izzy. His berst work otherwise was to simply shovel the ball on to those outside him. Whenever he ran the ball himself, he was in dire risk of losing it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Over complicated. Only time Cooper shouldn't defend the 10 channel is when a kick is anticipated and he can be used for counter attack at the back. Otherwise we lose counter attack opportunity up front in the line from turn over ball.

This is a core reason the Cooper To'omua combination worked well because we could cover both scenarios well.

On a defensive lineout, where should the forwards who aren't involved in the lineout stand?

Surely it makes sense for them to mark up against the opposition forwards that aren't involved in the lineout and attempting to create a mismatch somewhere in the backline.

In defence, surely we're trying to minimise mismatches as much as possible.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
On a defensive lineout, where should the forwards who aren't involved in the lineout stand?

Surely it makes sense for them to mark up against the opposition forwards that aren't involved in the lineout and attempting to create a mismatch somewhere in the backline.

In defence, surely we're trying to minimise mismatches as much as possible.

Around the 10 channel but not to replace the 10 himself. I want us to be ready to exploit miss matches and the 10 is the enabler to facilitate that. I want the 10 to be ready to send turnover ball wide when the opportunity presents. Those forwards in that circumstance will have their opposite forwards to mark up against.

Chieka had to hide various players at the Tahs which required complex structures. Not so with this Wallaby cattle and it doesn't need to be over complicated when more simple solutions will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.