• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I like Cummins because be runs straight and hard, good support and is one of the hardest working wingers off the ball since Ben Tune.

Looks like the start of "I like Cummins because......" just like the "I'm not an alcoholic, I only drink....".

T

Tip

I have to agree with both of you.

You want Cooper having his hands on the ball ASAP if we steal a lineout, preferably at 10 so we can use his long passing game.

However, I tend to think that the Wallabies would be better off in defensive lineouts (especially with the 10m rule) if To'omua defends at first five and QC (Quade Cooper) @ fullback, after To'omua takes it fearlessly to the line he throws it out the back to QC (Quade Cooper) who has Folau lurking....
The Wallabies scored a slick try like this fairly recently, IIRC (Ireland EOYT2013?)

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I have no issues with Hooper defending the 10 channel. He absolutely took De Allende out of the game. A huge attacking threat, and something that strong defenders in To'omua, Lilo and Kuridrani failed to do in the Brumbies quarter final.

Cooper and Gits, whilst they make their tackles would struggle against the best tackle breakers in the world in De Allende and Nonu/SBW.

Can't see why you wouldn't your best tackler facing the best tackle breakers if that's an option.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Given the selections for Argentina I'd say the forward pack for the RWC squad is close to locked in now barring injuries.

1. Sio
2. Slipper
3. Holmes
4. Kepu
5. Smith
6. Moore
7. Polota-Nau
8. Hanson
9. Skelton
10. Simmons
11. Horwill
12. Mumm
13. Hooper
14. Pocock
15. Fardy
16. McCalman
17. McMahon
18. Palu

Higginbotham the unlucky one.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Given the selections for Argentina I'd say the forward pack for the RWC squad is close to locked in now barring injuries.

1. Sio
2. Slipper
3. Holmes
4. Kepu
5. Smith
6. Moore
7. Polota-Nau
8. Hanson
9. Skelton
10. Simmons
11. Horwill
12. Mumm
13. Hooper
14. Pocock
15. Fardy
16. McCalman
17. McMahon
18. Palu

Higginbotham the unlucky one.

i think they will take either Palu or McCalman but not both and include Higgenbotham

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
i think they will take either Palu or McCalman but not both and include Higgenbotham

Choice of Higgers or McCalman will probably be influenced by the remaining tests in the RC and Bledisloe. ATM, McCalman would be in front on the strength of Higgers' game last week, but upcoming games might alter that.

Otherwise, I'd prefer Dennis as lock/6 cover to Mumm after his strong(ish) Super season. Again, the remaining RC games will probably determine this question as well.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
from the two RC games as i see it, either cooper or foley to start ( i prefer QC (Quade Cooper)), To'omua at 12, TK at 13.
on the bench you can't have both cooper and beale, nor can you have giteau and cooper, i think QC (Quade Cooper) starts or isn't in the 23, similarly with foley, 10 or out.
the bench options i think are giteau or leliafano (inside backs) and one of horne, beale, mitchell, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), tomane assuming that speight is one wing, and one of those is the other. personally i would go with speight and horne starting and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as the reserve. beale is a match winner but also a possible match loser, i don't think he should start but is a great option off the bench in the last 10 -15.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
next game i wouldnt mind seeing

1. Sio 2. Moore 3. Kepu 4. Simmons 5. Skelton
6. Fardy 7. Pocock 8. McCalman 9. Phipps 10. Cooper
11. Tomane 12. To'omua 13. Kuridrani 14. Ashley-Cooper 15. Folau

16. Polota-Nau 17. Slipper 18. Holmes 19. Mumm/Horwill 20. Higganbotham
21. White 22. Beale 23. Horne

or

1. Sio 2. Moore 3. Kepu 4. Simmons 5. Skelton
6. Fardy 7. Pocock 8. McCalman 9. Phipps 10. Foley
11. Tomane 12. Giteau 13. Kuridrani 14. Ashley-Cooper 15. Folau

16. Polota-Nau 17. Slipper 18. Holmes 19. Mumm/Horwill 20. Higganbotham
21. White 22. Beale 23. Horne

i reckon Quade needs someone to straighten the Attack so he needs To'omua playing at inside. Foley lacks Creativity and real playmaking ability but ran and distributed well enough this morning. he might benefit from a creative 12 like Giteau

nick_

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think Mumm and Horwill have both played themselves into the bench/reserve lock positions. I know Skelton played a "blinder" but I would not be upset to see him in the same boat as Kerevi and first in line for Generation Next - 2016.

T

TOCC

Meltdown commence in 3..2..1..
c3c3953eac0ee44d2ef658b63998cf37.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not much being said about this and obviously we don't know context but an outburst like this you'd have to say things are pretty bad between Quade and the coaches?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
This Hooper / Poey luxury to have - lets have 2 locks and a jumping 6.
I don't think Poey demanded as many 3s as he received, but he had a good game. Comparing the first 60 when they both played 7 I think Hooper gets the gig - but - it was even better when they were both on the park. Poey did more at 8 in his 20 minutes than Higgers and MacCalmun did in their 60.

T

TOCC

Not much being said about this and obviously we don't know context but an outburst like this you'd have to say things are pretty bad between Quade and the coaches?

Sounds like a disagreement with a coach, doesn't see eye to eye with Lakham perhaps? Whatever the issues, they shouldn't be vented on social media.. Teams and players will have in differences, that's to be expected, but don't bloody tweet about it..

Whatever the case this ain't a good look for Quade.. Maybe the stress of Toulon/contracting saga is getting to QC (Quade Cooper).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Re: Quades tweet, my initial reaction was it's a F U to the backlash he's probably been copping from Joe Public (or a hack.)

Doesn't seem to be any issues at Wobs level, Chek is constantly in his corner in the media and started him vs Boks. Not to mention played for 60+ mins at 12 over his Tah 12.

I think he's saying he doesn't care if people don't have him in there team. Its The Wobs that count, not joe public.

I can't recall an athlete in any sport who cops so much criticism for his play despite his results being miles ahead of his peers. McCaw is lauded for the impact he has on the ABs (TRC results fall from 82% to 55% without McCaw) yet Cooper, who exceeds that stat gets torn to shreds.

Even the media this week, everytime the team was mentioned was "Quade Dropped". Hooper wasn't dropped, nor was Kepu or Horne who missed the 23 completey, they were rested or rotated or whatever, but Cooper was "dropped".

[I'm not saying Cooper is in anyway better than McCaw or even that he played well of late, but when you win 28% of TRC games without him (and only 1 gave vs the Boks/NZ combined) and 62% with him, beating the boks 70% of the time, it must get a tad frustrating]

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It seems to me more likely directed at a member of the public. He certainly seems in good terms with Cheika. I'm guessing it won't take long to clarify either way though.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You'd hope that is the case but did he really cop a lot from this game? Everyone understands he had a poor game but after a team performance like that no one really gets upset about an individual's performance do they..

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
sorry Dave but i disagree. Hooper was fantastic in the 1st game against the Boks. But Pocock was better in this game. its one hell of a luxury to be able to field two 7s that are probably in the top 5 in the world when in form. Poey outdid Hooper in this game with his work at the breakdown and Defence. he even had that great run down the sideline which shows hes not as poor as a ball-runner as some people think. i couldnt really care less who starts against the All Blacks as long as the other still gets game time. i reckon he deserves more 3s for his performance in his 1st start at test level in 2 and a half years.

Status
Not open for further replies.