• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
But not last year as soon as Will Skelton came on as a replacement. Kepu had as much trouble holding the TH side as Ben did with Skelton and Hooper behind him.

Absolutely chuffed at Skelton's scrummaging this year.

Ben Alexander at international level reminds me of Baxter as a prop. He was persisted with at Wallaby level, but never really cut it, and was regularly penalised by referees

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Oh for gods sake people, the inside backs are the easiest pick in the whole squad.

Foley, To'omua, Lealiifano and Cooper.

Outside backs: Kuridrani, Speight, Folau, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mitchell and Beiber/Tomane.

We have two players capable of covering every position. Plus the 3 halfbacks, we have 13 backs, leaving 18 places available for forwards, which is where we will need the depth.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Re Mitchell, I want to see him in TRC before I determine whether he should by in the squad, let alone the starting side. I have seen barely any Top 14 over the last 2 years and I think it's fair to say he wasn't in anyone's calculations before he "that" game last month.

Also, I'd prefer to see the Australian team take a cautious approach to picking overseas based players. If these new laws are to work (maybe even be further relaxed in future) there should to be a general policy that we should be picking locally based talent, unless there is a clearly a better player available overseas. Simply because the rules give us some flexibility (which is what we need going forward) it doesn't mean that we shouldn't still be rewarding talent that have committed to playing in Australia.

Case and point is George Smith. If he was playing for the Brumbies this season, it would be very hard not to select him. However, we have great local alternatives that can do the job, and clearly have more of a drive to be playing test rugby. Likewise we have plenty of good wingers to choose from (AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Speight/Tomane/JOC (James O'Connor)/Horne) and it remains to be seen (at least to me) whether Mitchell is better than those players.

It either Cooper or Foley went down injured, I think you could certainly say that Giteau would clearly be the next best option for Australia and so I could understand his selection in the 23 in those circumstances.

I'm not saying we shouldn't pick the best players from overseas, merely that they need to prove that they are better options than the players we have in Australia already. As has been discussed ad nauseam, that can be a tough task particularly when most people would argue that the standard of talent in Super Rugby is more impressive.

I'd like to see both Giteau and Mitchell come down here for TRC and stake their claim to a jersey. At the moment they're behind the 8-ball.

Also re Skelton's scrummaging, it really remains to be seen how far he's come until we get to TRC. The scrummaging in the world cup will be a whole different beast to Super Rugby scrummaging. There'll be no calls for "use it". England will let the ball sit in the scrum and wait for the Wallabies to crack. We need excellent technique and structure as an 8 to avoid falling apart. Skelton could still be a liability (I hope not).
EXACTLY!

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I want to open the head to head Speight vs AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for a starting wing spot debate in Nth hemisphere conditions where at best we are holding our own or being a little out nudged at set piece time. For all the speed and excitment in the world that Speight offers surely AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a lock in in those conditions. He is just about the strongest outside back in tight spaces we have had in the last decade. His sound defence and experience holds the key.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Oh for gods sake people, the inside backs are the easiest pick in the whole squad.

Foley, To'omua, Lealiifano and Cooper.

Outside backs: Kuridrani, Speight, Folau, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mitchell and Beiber/Tomane.

We have two players capable of covering every position. Plus the 3 halfbacks, we have 13 backs, leaving 18 places available for forwards, which is where we will need the depth.

Nice one Brumbieman, But what about Horne? What's it say to the squad to leave out the most in form player this year?

I have never been a big fan of Horne on the wing but his form this year warrants selection.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yep, right now our top 4 wing picks would be (in no particular order):

Speight
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Horne
Tomane

3 of those guys can also cover the centres, and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) can play fullback..........

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I love how the "inside backs are the easiest pick in the whole squad" yet no mention is made of Giteau who will surely be named in the Rugby Championship squad and is a strong chance of being in the RWC squad.

In every spot or group of spots, the first couple of picks is easy but the last one or two is very difficult because there are multiple options and some of them are quite strongly linked with other positional picks due to player versatility.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I love how the "inside backs are the easiest pick in the whole squad" yet no mention is made of Giteau who will surely be named in the Rugby Championship squad and is a strong chance of being in the RWC squad.

In every spot or group of spots, the first couple of picks is easy but the last one or two is very difficult because there are multiple options and some of them are quite strongly linked with other positional picks due to player versatility.

Why will he "surely be picked"?, Lilo and Gits would surely be fighting it out for one spot as they both essentially cover the same 10,12. But Lilo is becoming a dominate defender and runs straighter then Gits - two traits better suited to Cheika-ball.

It's a tough call IMO, and will depend on Lilo's performance the next two games. No point in having both though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why will he "surely be picked"?, Lilo and Gits would surely be fighting it out for one spot as they both essentially cover the same 10,12. But Lilo is becoming a dominate defender and runs straighter then Gits - two traits better suited to Cheika-ball.

It's a tough call IMO, and will depend on Lilo's performance the next two games. No point in having both though.

We're going to be picking substantially more than 31 players for the Rugby Championship squad.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I want to open the head to head Speight vs AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for a starting wing spot debate in Nth hemisphere conditions where at best we are holding our own or being a little out nudged at set piece time. For all the speed and excitment in the world that Speight offers surely AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a lock in in those conditions. He is just about the strongest outside back in tight spaces we have had in the last decade. His sound defence and experience holds the key.

One aspect of both players' skillsets is that both are particularly strong at pilfering as well. Just something that doesn't seem to get much comment.

Henry is the out and out winger who can also fill in adequately at No 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is the versatile 13, wing, full back who is really quite good and dependable in all spots. Both can break any defensive line and they are two of the best tackling exponents you're likely to see on the wing.

Don't know if people who are not died in the wool Brumby supporters have noticed but Henry and Joe Tomane cover for each other frequently on the field. Not unusual at all to see them pop up on their opposite side if the other has been temporarily taken out of the game by a ruck or tackle etc. Or even just supporting the other in an attacking raid. Their abilities to work together is something to behold.

Re AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) v Speight, it is pretty much a question of the versatility of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) v the speciality of Henry. My thoughts are that I'd rather Henry have the ball 10m out with two to beat than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is good at making the try line but I think Henry is just that little bit better.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Either of Matt To'omua or Christian Lealiifano would be far better options at No 10 if both Quade and Foley go down with injury. That's my opinion and I daresay it is shared by a lot of other Brumbies' supporters judging by many posts on this forum.

Both very good 10s, but the two guys you have named have been the Wallabies' go to 12s over the last 2 years. Both are relatively green at 10 at test levels (lilo hasn't played there at all). I'd prefer for them to stay at 12 and rely on an experienced 10.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Nice one Brumbieman, But what about Horne? What's it say to the squad to leave out the most in form player this year?

I have never been a big fan of Horne on the wing but his form this year warrants selection.

Forgot him. Take him too, and 17 forwards. That's two forward packs and an extra floater.

Slipper, Sio
Moore, Nau/Latu/Fainga'a
Kepu, Alexander/PAE/Holmes

Skelton, Timani
Simmons, Jones

Fardy, Hooper, Palu, Pocock, Vaea, McCalman

...and the extra is either another prop or backrower.

I'd take Timani and Jones as the backup 2nd rows. Jones is the replacement workhorse/rock lifter, Timani does what Skelton does and just smash people and provide the aggression factor.

Coleman/Arnold are too raw, they'll get torn a new arsehole against any decent team.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Timani has dropped off since the start of the season.........

If we're blooding a new lock he'd be behind Arnold and Coleman.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
He's still bashing people, and we desparately need big blokes with lots of aggression who don't go to ground as soon as they take contact.

Between Sio, Skelton, Timani and Vaea (sigh, and Palu), we have 4-5 guys who can genuinely bend the line and make big dominant tackles. Pair them with the workrate players, (Moore, Kepu, Simmons, Fardy, McCalman) and we get a good balance in the pack for our openside to work off.

Hooper to bring his running and link game in the first 50mins, and then Timani, Vaea and Pocock come on, and keep it going. Skelton will be done after 50mins of test rugby, so Timani replaces him in the same kind of role, Vaea brings his ability to keep on his feet and get us over the advantage line and provide momentum, and Pocock gets to wrk his magic in the last 30mins of the game when everyone starts tiring and the cleanouts are not as sharp and accurate.

He'll destroy team at the breakdown then, with the bonus of him being fresh.

Cheika's game plan is dependent on our ability to get forward momentum. If we don't bend the line and get the quick ball that is generated from that, we're finished. We don't have a tactical kicking game to fall back on, we cant scrum our way to victory, and we cant allow ourselves to try and take England on at their own game, at Twickenham.

It's run them to death and shut that crowd up, or we're finished.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
B'Man Kepu is listed as a workrate type usually, maybe for a THP. He is a genuine linebender and probably one of the best running THPs around.

I'd have to honestly say moving forward Timani may well be an option at 8. I can't see him as a long term lock option. In fact Timani at 8 would allow four very good lineout options or 3 with Skelton.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
The scrummaging in the world cup will be a whole different beast to Super Rugby scrummaging. There'll be no calls for "use it". England will let the ball sit in the scrum and wait for the Wallabies to crack. We need excellent technique and structure as an 8 to avoid falling apart. Skelton could still be a liability (I hope not).

One of the most relevant statements in this whole thread. I really hope he has got it sorted. Hopefully Ledesma has been working on this with him.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
?? Hopefully? What do you think he's been doing all year. The Tahs have been scrummaging for long periods already.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
?? Hopefully? What do you think he's been doing all year. The Tahs have been scrummaging for long periods already.
I haven't seen many of their games, so that's promising to hear. The point remains that at test level against the poms in particular, scrums are a different proposition to Super Rugby.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Of course, you're completely right about the difference in refereeing. Super Rugby refs will happily let the ball go if it's at the back of a scrum after a collapse. They'll also tell the teams to use it before they crumble. Poite couldn't give a shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.