• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Re scrummaging, it's important to remember that the Wallabies scrum on its own ball has been quite good for the last couple of years. It's really on opposition feeds that we are struggling. As mentioned earlier, last year we really struggled to adapt to the northern hemisphere style of scrummaging where teams put the ball in the scrum and just push until they win a penalty. It requires us to scrum past the initial push and hold steady long enough to essentially force the attacking side to use it. That type of scrummaging is something you very rarely see in Southern Hemisphere scrummaging, even at TRC level. The only time you see it is on a 5 metre scrum and even then, the SH referees will only allow the scrum to stay stagnant for a few seconds before they require the attacking side to use it.

The Wallabies have generally looked unprepared for that type of scrummaging. They need to spend a lot of time working on scrummaging for long periods (10 seconds +) as a unit and not lose their shape.

I've noticed that Skelton has been much better this season in using his size and strength to offer a lot of power to the tahs scrum. However at the same time, the tahs scrum still hasn't looked the most solid unit at times and I'm concerned that Skelton may still struggle to hold his shape and body position when the wallabies are force to scrum for much longer periods. Only time will tell.

How come SA and NZ seems to be fine with the Scrum. There is always talk about Southern Hemisphere teams being weak at the scrum when in reality it's really only us who are weak. SA, NZ and Argentina have been consistently good at the scrum for years.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
You're correct regarding the low amount of tries. Althugh my memory of those two games (v SA and France) is that the wallabies were very good with ball in hand.

We were. Tim Horan had one of the greatest games a Wallaby I suspect has ever had in the semi. We just didn't score any tries. What we did have was heaps of confidence in the game plan and thus plenty of composure to close the thing out when things got a bit tight.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I might add that I really hope there wasn't a directive to the RWC referees that the ball can stay in the scrum for an eternity. Or the maul for that matter. Unfortunately I'm guessing it will be encouraged given that England will rely so heavily on that tactic.

I'm all for a good scrum battle, but the scrum battle should be approached much like the maul is in Super Rugby. If there is no forward momentum the ball should come out. If you watch old test much rugby you very rarely saw the ball in the scrum for more than a few second.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How come SA and NZ seems to be fine with the Scrum. There is always talk about Southern Hemisphere teams being weak at the scrum when in reality it's really only us who are weak. SA, NZ and Argentina have been consistently good at the scrum for years.

SA scrum is just as bad as ours.
NZ scrum got destroyed by England too. They conceded a penalty try at Twickers.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeh I think that's right. I'd say our scrum is marginally weaker than NZ and SA when we play anything other than our best players, but that's enough of a difference to usually see us get toweled up

T

TOCC

Here's an interesting thought, who are the 3 players that the Wallabies can't afford to lose to injury before the World Cup?

For me, losing Kepu, Izzy or Kuridrani would leave the Wallabies significantly worse off given depth In those positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
1. Kepu
2. Moore
3. Simmons/Skelton

If TPN was in better form, Moore wouldn't be so important. Can't split Simmons and Skelton both offering different significant contributions.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I've actually written an article on this issue that I'm hoping to post on the site in the coming weeks/months.
I'm looking at each of the sanzar teams. Qwerty your response is pretty close to mine

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Here's an interesting thought, who are the 3 players that the Wallabies can't afford to lose to injury before the World Cup?

For me, losing Kepu, Izzy or Kuridrani would leave the Wallabies significantly worse off given depth In those positions.

No AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) easily fills in for Kuridrani.

I actually think its Kepu and Slipper. Sio is still untested at Test level and no decent back-up to him either.

We are pretty screwed at fullback, especially with the highball if Folau goes down. Opens up past successful kicking tactics for the opposition.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
SA scrum is just as bad as ours.
NZ scrum got destroyed by England too. They conceded a penalty try at Twickers.

That NZ scrum that got monstered had B. Franks, Faumauina and Tuipoluto in. All have struggled at scrum time.

Our starting pack had good parity with England.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I would actually venture to say that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would be a bigger loss than TK because he is so vital as cover for 13 and also covers wing and fullback.

So:
1. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
2. Izzy
3. Kepu

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think Speight at his best is our best winger, then daylight. But an inform Speight and Mitchell would be pretty darned good! We'd probably have the equal best back three.

For consistency I think Horne has been our best winger over last 12 months and that is of concern. Spreight in recent games I have seen changed that view and agree with you on his recent form.

Like to see the big

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Is Scott Fardy still the front-runner for the 6 jersey?

Higgers is in great form, and Fardy has been at best solid so far this year. At the moment I would probably be picking a Higgers/Pocock/McCalman backrow combination.

Fardy usually steps up to internationals well, but I'm just wondering if his form is anything like it was in the last two seasons.

Reactions: BDA

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fardy has been playing well for the Brumbies............ good, but not flashy............

Competing at a lot of rucks and being effective, making a nuisance of himself, killing mauls and running a strong lineout.............

Deserves to retain his spot.

Jones has some impressive stats this year (he did last year too), and I would have him on the bench covering lock/6.......... and I would really like to see him given a go at lock in the RC to see if he can play there at test level, particularly as we lack talent in that position...........

Otherwise we're covered pretty well at 6.

I see Higgers as an 8, and he's making a late push to be in the 23 in recent weeks..............

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Agree with article - kerevi has to be in squad as got that raw x-factor that can blow apart and turn a game

888.gif

T

TOCC

Fardy's stats have been rather unimpressive for 2016, I would like to see Jones trialled at blindside flanker, Higgers is another who could slot into that role.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No doubt some of his raw stats aren't as good as Jones (Jones has always had a fantastic workrate though), but he's still playing very well in a team that's just made the finals...........

It's not really enough to see him dislodged from his Wallaby spot.

Jones has also excelled the past 2 years as a lock, and I think we need to give him some time there especially as its a position we're lacking quality, and we're currently loaded with potential 6/8's.........

It would give Cheika more flexibility as well to squeeze in another form backrower if we can play Jones as a lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.