• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah Jones doesn't have the ball-running impact to be 6 IMO.

Timani may, though. He was dynamite today. The lineout may be an issue, but he fits the mould of abrasive ball-running forward that Cheika has a soft spot for.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think Timani, like Kerevi and Vaea, are all potential very good high impact players.......... but maybe all a year off.........

All have flaws that need to be ironed out, but will all be in gold at some point.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Is Scott Fardy still the front-runner for the 6 jersey?

Higgers is in great form, and Fardy has been at best solid so far this year. At the moment I would probably be picking a Higgers/Pocock/McCalman backrow combination.

Fardy usually steps up to internationals well, but I'm just wondering if his form is anything like it was in the last two seasons.

I think it depends whether you start Hooper or Pocock. The fact that Pocock is now available means that there is less need for Fardy's skill set. Although he's definitely still the obvious choice for the selectors.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I think Timani, like Kerevi and Vaea, are all potential very good high impact players.... but maybe all a year off...

All have flaws that need to be ironed out, but will all be in gold at some point.

good point. Timani hasn't hit his peak yet, but i do see a lot of value in what he offers. He appears to be a decent scrummaging lock, he's a good ball running option and most importantly he moves bodies. I can see some real benefit in having him in the squad. We need a few forwards that are strong and physical and those are attributes he has in spades. I think he'd make a good test player.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I think Jones has been a bit better than Timani this year, and is a bit more well rounded. However I'm still cautious about whether he's a genuine option to act as a reserve lock against the likes of England. Timani might be a better replacement off the bench for Skelton because he has an extra 5kg on Jones and presumably offers more power to the front row. 111kg is pretty light for an international lock imo

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Would be prescient of me to suggest only one of Jones, Higginbotham and Timani will make the Oz RWC squad? In a perfect world I'd be tempted to select all three, but there are only 31 seats on the plane.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
There's definitely room for 2.

The likelihood is that 4 locks and 6 backrowers will be selected. Even discounting his ability to play 6, Jones has been the form lock of the Aussie conference. He's behind Simmons and Skelton, yes, but with Carters injury and the poor form of Horwill, it's hard to see him not making it.

For the backrowers, the consensus is that Pocock, Hooper, Fardy, McCalman and Palu are going. You'll pick another 6/8 option rather than another openside. With Potgièter Mafi, and Thompson being international players, that leaves Schatz, Higgers, McMahon and Cotrell as the regulars playing in those positions and the choice there is obviously Higgers. Theoretically you could select Dennis instead, but with McCalman and Jones already there, why would you go for what's approximately more of the same?

EDIT: Forgot Vaea, but he's a bit of the same situation as guys like Timani, Arnold and Coleman. A but raw to be thrown into it, and does he have the 80 minute tank? Do any of them?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
If you pick palu at 8 and you are iffy about fardy then you have to consider mccalman as an option for 6 as well as higgers. Dave Dennis too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd be a bit more iffy about Palu............

If you were picking on form you'd lean towards McCalman or Higgers.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The Reds game has to have cemented Holmes as the No2 THP in OZ. He has to be on the reserves bench in front of Alexander.

The same game IMO sees Genia drop out of contention, his kicking directly led to a Chiefs try and gifted them possession on other occasions. If Chieka wants to play a running game he is just too slow to clear the ball and when he attemtos to pick up the pace his passing is very bad, like in the attempt right on the Chiefs goal line.

I have to say that JOC (James O'Connor) also really did his chances a lot of damage, there are far better options on form for wing or fullback. If he is selected it is only on potential. Cooper will be selected on potential IMO and to my thinking that leaves no room to carry other out of form players who have had significantly more game time to gain form than Cooper has.

So from the Reds the only certainties I can see are

Slipper, Hanson, Holmes, Simmons and Cooper.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Genia's sideways running really killed the Reds attack tonight...

White has been poor recently, but overall he's had better form this year and there are still some positives to his game.

If three 9s are taken, and I can't see that happening, it should be Stirzacker ahead of Genia.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think both Jones and Higgers will make it.....

Jones primarily as a lock and 6 backup, and Higgers as an 8/6....

I don't think Timani is there yet.

Can't see a player without any caps being on the plane; barring emergencies- like not enough hookers.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The Cheetahs Tahs game tonight was played at an electric pace which really puts Palu out of his comfort zone. He made a few errors that were down to the pace of the game, and as we know, test rugby is quicker again.
Only one of McCalman or Palu should go. They really offer very similar skill sets. Pocock should also be practicing his no 8 skills as well for the back end of games if both he and Hooper finish out the game.
Mind you Pocock, Hooper and Higgers would be something to see against tired legs!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What's a little concerning for Australia is the dramatic turnaround in players in a World Cup cycle...............

The Wobs had a lot of players retire post 2007, and many of the players who were up and coming leading into 2011 might not, or definitely won't make the 2015 RWC.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
What's a little concerning for Australia is the dramatic turnaround in players in a World Cup cycle.....

The Wobs had a lot of players retire post 2007, and many of the players who were up and coming leading into 2011 might not, or definitely won't make the 2015 RWC.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, since in most cases they weren't good enough. We're much stronger in the tight five especially, and across the three quarter line and fullback. The big casualties have been the three Amigos. With the exception of Cooper, I prefer their replacements.

I may be in a minority here, but I think we have a stronger team, with greater depth, and more potential than in 2011. Our actual quality is obscured somewhat by the disruption last year, but now that's to our advantage.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I'd be a bit more iffy about Palu....

If you were picking on form you'd lean towards McCalman or Higgers.

My comments were a response to people querying whether Fardy was necessarily a lock to start at 6..

I agree with your second point though, of the 4 players being thrown about, as far as super form goes you'd rank them:
1. McCalman
2. Higginbotham
daylight
3/4. Fardy/Palu

I watched the Brumbies game on Friday night and then noticed Fardy scored 0 in the fantasy draft thingy and had to check the lineup to see whether or not he'd actually played. I haven't seen the Tahs game so I can't comment on Palu's game yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.