• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Tonight mostly confirmed to me that the Wallabies best 23 is what I thought it would be last December.

1. Slipper
2 Moore
3 Kepu
4. Simmo
5 Horwill or Carter
6. Fardy
7. Pocock
8. McCalman
9.phipps
10. Cooper
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. To'omua
13. TK
14. Speight
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Sio
18. Holmes
19. Skelton
20. Hooper
21. Genia
22. Lealiifano
23. Tomane

Hooper had a *huge* game.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Tonight showed how invaluable Hooper is to the wallabies, he's an absolute terrier with a 2000 volt heart. After all this fabricated crap about him not contributing to defence he absolutely stripped the Boks Biltong. Pocock came on and also made a terrific appearance at 8. Go figure. I think Skelton filled the bulldozing role well; while at times being out of position in defence. Higginbotham didn't let us down (stupid kick) but lacked a presence at the ruck (as was to be expected).

Sio and Holmes scrum masterclass had me shivering, our scrum hasn't dominated like that in ever. Sio is now my favourite Loosehead, especially when you consider his work around the turf.

What really stood out to me was how far behind the pace Giteau was, for at least the first half, then he seemed to warm up to it. I guess that comes with 4 year gaps between playing test matches. It will be interesting to see if To'omua gets the nod ahead of him in the future.

Anyway, alls well that ends well I suppose

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Tonight mostly confirmed to me that the Wallabies best 23 is what I thought it would be last December.

1. Slipper
2 Moore
3 Kepu
4. Simmo
5 Horwill or Carter
6. Fardy
7. Pocock
8. McCalman
9.phipps
10. Cooper
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. To'omua
13. TK
14. Speight
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Sio
18. Holmes
19. Skelton
20. Hooper
21. Genia
22. Lealiifano
23. Tomane

Really baffled me with this one, Horne out and a misfiring Speight gain favour? How is Cooper still in your team? How is Hooper on the bench after that riot? and WHY IN ALL HELL would Carter be selected ahead of anybody? Apart from his first test where he played alright, he really hasn't shown the ability to turn the wheel. I think we need to invest in Coleman and Jones rather than settle for mediocrity

something

Jim Clark (26)
Seeing as the whole double openside's thing seemed to work - what's thoughts on Pocock starting at 8 for the rest of the season? It would mean having Horwill start over Skelton. I think the positives outweigh the negatives - the scrum certainly didn't seem to be affected (it got actually better, I'm not saying that's because poey's at 8 though)

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
I thought Giteau played well, very confident, Speight would be a good addition, add Pocock earlier or start him, hooper had some massive plays but wallabies had too many balls lost in the rucks / mauls..

T

Train Without a Station

I thought Giteau played well, very confident, Speight would be a good addition, add Pocock earlier or start him, hooper had some massive plays but wallabies had too many balls lost in the rucks / mauls..

Yeah looked good when he got dominantly tackled for a turnover, held up for a maul and passing the ball over the sideline.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If hooper is replaced by pocock, is it a direct swap in defensive duties?

Hooper's work defending at 10 off lineout was immense

Also I don't know if there is an actual correlation, but the Boks didn't do much mauling until Skelton was replaced

The Argie's most potent weapon was the maul on Friday.

T

Train Without a Station

He was a big problem. Not his poor play. More so that what he offered didn't feel what we needed at 12.

He's an excellent runner and a reliable tackler. He's not dominant in contact.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If hooper is replaced by pocock, is it a direct swap in defensive duties?

Hooper's work defending at 10 off lineout was immense

Also I don't know if there is an actual correlation, but the Boks didn't do much mauling until Skelton was replaced

The Argie's most potent weapon was the maul on Friday.

This highlights the big problem which selectors have to grapple with. Rugby is a very fluid game. Thirty players and a referee. Change one variable (e.g. make one substitution) and the game changes. And it can be difficult to work out cause and effect.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
With Genia and Horne out, I'd say take a couple of risks.

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Holmes
4. Horwill
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Mitchell
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Sio
18. Kepu
19. Arnold
20. McCalman/Higgenbotham
21. McMahon/McCalman
22. Giteau
23. Tomane

Reward the good form of Horwill and To'omua with starts, give Arnold a chance off the bench. With 3 lineout players in the side we can try the 2 opensides for 80 minutes. Run a 6-2 split off the bench, and trial Gits as the emergency 3rd scrum half. He's not the best 10 or 12 Aus has on the evidence of last night, but if he's capable there, he would be a more valuable selection than selecting a pure 3rd Scrummie.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
With Genia and Horne out, I'd say take a couple of risks.

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Holmes
4. Horwill
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Mitchell
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Sio
18. Kepu
19. Arnold
20. McCalman/Higgenbotham
21. McMahon/McCalman
22. Giteau
23. Tomane

Reward the good form of Horwill and To'omua with starts, give Arnold a chance off the bench. With 3 lineout players in the side we can try the 2 opensides for 80 minutes. Run a 6-2 split off the bench, and trial Gits as the emergency 3rd scrum half. He's not the best 10 or 12 Aus has on the evidence of last night, but if he's capable there, he would be a more valuable selection than selecting a pure 3rd Scrummie.

I like that. Except I would bring in Speight when possible for Mitchell and maybe JOC (James O'Connor) over Tomane for added utility. How good was To'omua though? His aility to straighten our attack and play more direct at the line commited more defends and actually allowed us to use our two pass shift pattern well. Pocock also seemed very good in close and out wide and I think he should start at #8

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Horne out, I'd say take a couple of risks.
1. Mitchell

I really don't understand what Horne has to do to win favour on these forums? He tackles his heart out, runs hard and never lets us down, yet people want to put Mitchell ahead of him... Mitchell didn't let us down either,but he's more in the frame of Ashley Cooper. Have one all round kicking/ running winger and one thrashing machine.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
He was a big problem. Not his poor play. More so that what he offered didn't feel what we needed at 12.

He's an excellent runner and a reliable tackler. He's not dominant in contact.

I'm really pushing for Lilo at 12, he's such an underrated player. Great defence, leadership and class. Kerevi will get his chance in the future, god help us if Cheika picks Beale instead.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Thought Chieka would have taken a lot away from that game. Good to have a fightback win for the character and morale of the team.

Forwards

You can talk all you want about the 10,12 dilemma but it won't matter if we can't get the scrum right, For that reason id like to see the front row we finished with sio, moore, Holmes given the start.

From there I think that the call to get douglas back became stronger last night. Skelton a liability and ineffective clearing out.

Australia has 3-4 world class players in my opinion pocock, folau, hooper and moore. its for this reason that both hooper and pocock need to be on for 80. Fardy at 6.

Backs

Genia was not terrible took a good high ball, but was found missing at a few rucks and unfortunately seems to have lost the ability to threaten with a snipping run like he once did. Phipps looked better although his pass a little wild at times.

The 10 -12 for mine has three option foley - toouma , toouma - gits or gits -To'omua. The fact that foley is by far the most accomplished goal kicker will see him take the reins. Quade not direct enough, has brilliance in him but seems to lack the composure of foley and tome at this level.

Pretty happy with the showing of the back four. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) showed his class. Horne hits the ball faster and harder then any other carrier. Folau was excellent and kuidrani solid.

Mitchell looked good when he came on very busy which is what you need.

VERDICT

for argentina

1 Sio
2. Moore
3. Holmes
4. Horwill
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. horne
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. Kepu
19. Arnold
20. Mcmahon
21. Genia
22. Giteau
23. mitchell

With an eye on getting douglas in for horwill, (horwill surprised off the bench so deserves a start)

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I really don't understand what Horne has to do to win favour on these forums? He tackles his heart out, runs hard and never lets us down, yet people want to put Mitchell ahead of him. Mitchell didn't let us down either,but he's more in the frame of Ashley Cooper. Have one all round kicking/ running winger and one thrashing machine.
Horne is injured, isn't he? Otherwise he'd be in the side.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
yeah horne is a lock in if he isn't injured the real focus area for wallabies will be offensive breakdown, scrum and taking it forward before going wide. basically the last one goes along way to be negated by playing To'omua.

oh and goal kicking

Status
Not open for further replies.