• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby injuries recovery time frames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
As much as the injury to Vicks is tragic I hope this means that 2 rats, Mumm and Douglas will really step up at the Breakdown. I'm actually excited for NSW to see how these blokes can progress (yes, mumm included)

They are not Rats - one plays for Uni and the other for Southern Districts.

But on a serious note: with Vickerman out for so long and Timani not back until the end of the Japanese season IIRR - and incidentally, no locks in the EPS - there are some pluses, as Swat indicates.

21 y.o. Greg Peterson may get more game time than we expected in 2012 and Kane Douglas will have a chance to re-establish himself. Not to the point but I thought that Douglas didn't have as bad a season this year as some folks thought. It was more that Timani eventually showed some accuracy in his play and especially, though not only, his handling. His rise could not be denied.

Sluggy

Do you have links to the injuries to Elsom and Moore? If not - what is the basis of your listing these guys as injured?

Thanks

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
@ LG

Swat was referring to Timani as Two Rats because of his dual rat's tails. He wasn't inferring that anyone played for Warringah.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Now that McCabe is getting a shoulder reconstruction could it be argued that the wallabies medical staff failed in there duty of care for sending him out to play the South African quarter final? I'm not a medical professional but as a punter it seemed to me (and everyone I've spoken to) that his shoulder was already busted.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Now that McCabe is getting a shoulder reconstruction could it be argued that the wallabies medical staff failed in there duty of care for sending him out to play the South African quarter final? I'm not a medical professional but as a punter it seemed to me (and everyone I've spoken to) that his shoulder was already busted.

He's had the same injury through the Super season with the Brumbies. He was always going to have to go under the knife once the season was over.

Duncher

Herbert Moran (7)
Interesting that out of ten players from the Australian team who have serious injuries, six of them are Tahs. Add TPN who didn't look good when he came off and that is seven out of eleven. Given the Tah injury toll in 2011 does anyone have a reasonable theory as to why the Tahs players are more injury affected? It doesn't only happen for their province, but also when playing in the national squad.

Hawko, I've got a theory about this... I think the Tahs need to balance their bulking programme with something else like yoga or something. Shane Watson used to get injured all the time, and he was always in the gym... Then he stopped that and turned to pilates or yoga or something and he's been largely injury free since. Clearly rugby players cannot turn away from the gym, but I think they can get a better balance. Years ago the AFL went through a run of injuries as well and as a result they banned (the clubs not the AFL) the use of Musashi stuff because they saw that as one of the causes.

Of course I am no scientist and am no expert in this area, but I have long suspected this.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

The medical staff's duty of care is to clearly explain the risks to both the player and the coach.

Players always play injured, one the tests of a quality player is how they perform whilst playing injured, McCabe showed that quality

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
The medical staff's duty of care is to clearly explain the risks to both the player and the coach.

Players always play injured, one the tests of a quality player is how they perform whilst playing injured, McCabe showed that quality

I'm fine with it as long as it is not to the detriment of the player. I don't want to see them exacerbating an injury that would have long term affects on their careers

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Rocky could be out for the start of the super rugby season with a hamstring problem according to the Australian.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Rocky could be out for the start of the super rugby season with a hamstring problem according to the Australian.

Just read that in the paper. That was good mail from Sluggy 3 days ago when nobody else on the forum seemed to know about it.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Hawko, I've got a theory about this... I think the Tahs need to balance their bulking programme with something else like yoga or something. Shane Watson used to get injured all the time, and he was always in the gym... Then he stopped that and turned to pilates or yoga or something and he's been largely injury free since. Clearly rugby players cannot turn away from the gym, but I think they can get a better balance. Years ago the AFL went through a run of injuries as well and as a result they banned (the clubs not the AFL) the use of Musashi stuff because they saw that as one of the causes.

Of course I am no scientist and am no expert in this area, but I have long suspected this.

This was discussed in the Tahs thread, the injuries are pretty much 99% impact injuries that have very little to do with conditioning. All teams do yoga and have tailored programs for individual players to help with training/playing loads. It really has nothing to do with it.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)

This is dissapointing, not just as a Tahs fan but as a rocky fan I was hoping a fresh start next yearwould get him back in form and right mind. Oh well, hopefully he comes back fully fit

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
This was discussed in the Tahs thread, the injuries are pretty much 99% impact injuries that have very little to do with conditioning. All teams do yoga and have tailored programs for individual players to help with training/playing loads. It really has nothing to do with it.

I don't think you can really say that there is no connection between and impact injury and the team's conditioning program.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I don't think you can really say that there is no connection between and impact injury and the team's conditioning program.

u can, when someone falls on TPNs knee and it goes backwards and he sustains an injury from it, its not from doing weights in pre season, its from the impact of the fall.

when barnes gets knocked out, its from his head getting hit with an impact hard enough to cause a concussion, not from not doing enough yoga.

when drew dislocates his ankle due to being blocked in a run by higgers and having to step around him, its from his foot getting twited in the step, not a lack of aqua arobics.

do i need to continue?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

This could explain his less than scintillating from in NZ. It would also figure that the Tahs would sign him with such an injury - which sounds chronic (since i dont recall him coming off during RWC for injury) and serious - presumably requiring surgery.
Who do the Tahs have as blindside back up for the rockster?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
This could explain his less than scintillating from in NZ. It would also figure that the Tahs would sign him with such an injury - which sounds chronic (since i dont recall him coming off during RWC for injury) and serious - presumably requiring surgery.
Who do the Tahs have as blindside back up for the rockster?

with dave dennis there and then mumm behind him for the position, its not crucial in my mind, but its a shame and rocky in form is a step up, the position is covered though.

Status
Not open for further replies.