• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratah Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Round 2 Games by 19 July are then:
St Augustines vs Daramalan
Winner( Farrer Ag vs Prariewood High) vs Winner (Westfield Sports vs Kinross Wolaroi)

St Patricks vs Marist ACT
St Stannies v Winner (Illawarra Sports v Knox Grammar)

St Edmunds vs Hills Sports
Endeavour Sports vs Oakhill

Round 1 results needed are:
Farrer Ag vs Prariewood High
Westfield Sports vs Kinross Wolaroi
(Illawarra Sports v Knox Grammar

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Geoff Garland is responsible for Waratah Cup not Waratah Shield. He may not have Round 1 Waratah Shield results.

The Waratah Cup Winners and Runners up get a free pass to the 1/4 finals of the Waratah Shield.

My apologies to Hugh and Mr. Garland - a subtlety of detail that I clearly missed....

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Winner( Farrer Ag vs Prariewood High) vs Winner (Westfield Sports vs Kinross Wolaroi)

Does anyone knopw anything about Marist ACT? - How do they normally perform, and are they regular competitors to St Edmunds?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
My apologies to Hugh and Mr. Garland - a subtlety of detail that I clearly missed..

No worries HW&C. You probably won't be the only one wondering. I'm pedantic and notice stuff like this. A strength and a weakness.

Time to stop blaming the interns at NSWRU Marketing, and blame the Managers of the unpaid interns at NSWRU for failing to effectively communicate and market the Waratah Cup and Shield.

In relation to prospects of St Eddues and Marist from Canberra, hop on over the ACTRU Under 18 thread (or whatever it is called) to check out the banter there.

It would appear that Eddies, Marist, Canberra Grammar and Daramalan are the big rugby schools down in Hot Air Central. They play an integrated School/Club competition down there out of necessity.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
As much as I hate to admit it, in NZ or even SA the Waratah Shield would probably be a huge deal - with a final played-out as an end of Season Super Rugby or Test Curtain Raiser, and a big crowd - and probably promoted as a showdown between the top teams in the various schools associations - something into which it would now have morphed in those countries - with Waratah Shield Matches possibly even integrated into the GPS / CHS/ISA/CAS fixtures on a simple knock-out basis... The NSWRU is overloking a golden calf for junior development, available to it at knock-down budget rates...

I had a look at the ACT Forum, and it looks like Marist are a reasonable team, and should be a good match-up for Strathfield in terms of gauging whether either team has what it takes togo all the way in that competition...

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
I wonder what the barriers to increasing the profile are!?
Increase the profile and the expectation is increased. Increased chances of more public failure. Its a lot easier to watch it die on the vine then to cultivate it.
to have an internet profile where results are lodged accurately each week/match would not be expensive surely. This level of immediate communication/information is expected now and should not be seen as a luxury

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
I wonder what the barriers to increasing the profile are!?
Increase the profile and the expectation is increased. Increased chances of more public failure. Its a lot easier to watch it die on the vine then to cultivate it.
to have an internet profile where results are lodged accurately each week/match would not be expensive surely. This level of immediate communication/information is expected now and should not be seen as a luxury

Doesn't it come down to whether the NSWRU actually even cares?.. If they see elite rugby as 'their' remit, and schools development as 'some else's responsibility'....

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
... 5 'BYES' in the FIRST round of a Competition - that is truly bizarre... I had not noticed that before.

Has anyone hazarded a guiess on who is most likely to win this - or should one wait until the Shield games are decided....

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
St Augustines,Hills Sports High, Eddies.
maybe Endeavour if they have a strong year.
Oakhill normally feature,but I believe this year is more a transition year for them.
My pick is an augs v eddies final

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
Last 4
Marist v Augies
Knox V Eddies

The top two have some room for improvement
the latter have shown their cards

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Last 4
Marist v Augies
Knox V Eddies

The top two have some room for improvement
the latter have shown their cards

It appears that the Knox Round 1 match has been forfeited, as no results can be found - unsure however, whom has forfeited to whom...

It is interesting that when you visit the NSWRU Site it carries no mention of the competition, and a search on that site provides no matches... says it all, perhaps?

Post Note: I think it is fair to say Knox has not played it's fixture - perhaps a bit unfair to assume it was they who withdrew, but after 3 inquiries in the CAS Forum, the indifference has been deafening...

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)

I don't think Kinross entered this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.