• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
3d2278805e1f48f49668ecee9ce240e1.jpg

Your new scrummie havent played CC yet, will probably start this weekend for Griquas.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Your new scrummie havent played CC yet, will probably start this weekend for Griquas.

i like the fact he is going the Rocky 4 training methods and doing it in a shed int he middle of nowhere rather than in some leboratry like these modern day athletes.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Apropos of my earlier post of whom the Tahs should be hiring for their academies, I am conscious of the new ARU regime for academy players.

In that context: how good was 19 y.o. LHP Pat Sio for Northern Suburbs, who I recommended as a Tahs pro academy signing, scrummaging against Sydney Uni last Saturday. I must confess that I didn't watch every scrum with a forensic exactitude, but he looked very good in the ones I did remember to look at. Incidentally, an ex-backrower, he is handy around the park.

Apparently, and correct me if I am wrong because I don't know one way or the other, but the ARU will be responsible for the training of all academy players and will decide which Super outfit they will play for. One wonders if a fellow like Sio, who has already played for the Junior Tahs, will be obliged to move to another city.

Interesting, though maybe it's a storm in a teacup and I am wrong about the matter. But it would be good to know for sure if a player does offer himself for ARU training if he has any control over his destiny - or not.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Apropos of my earlier post of whom the Tahs should be hiring for their academies, I am conscious of the new ARU regime for academy players. In that context: how good was 19 y.o. LHP Pat Sio for Northern Suburbs, who I recommended as a Tahs pro academy signing, scrummaging against Sydney Uni last Saturday.

Scott Sio's another product of the Pirates' prop production factory. But don't ask me how, or why, he's now at Norths or I'll blow a valve! We hold a slim hope his younger brother Patrick (running around in Trinity Is) may decide to stay at Concord.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
i like the fact he is going the Rocky 4 training methods and doing it in a shed int he middle of nowhere rather than in some leboratry like these modern day athletes.

Saw a tyre in the back ground. Our lot started at schoolboy with a lot of pole and tyre PT. You'll find them nearly at every field. Think Petoors english is as probably as good as mine.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Scott Sio's another product of the Pirates' prop production factory. But don't ask me how, or why, he's now at Norths or I'll blow a valve! We hold a slim hope his younger brother Patrick (running around in Trinity Is) may decide to stay at Concord.

Think his father might have played at Norths.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Saw a tyre in the back ground. Our lot started at schoolboy with a lot of pole and tyre PT. You'll find them nearly at every field. Think Petoors english is as probably as good as mine.

He will be fine then. Your English is quite good Paarl. I have trouble with the odd word in Afrikkans in your posts but because your English is quite strong you can normally work out the meaning of the word. :thumb

He will have Vickerman to help him translate if he has trouble anyways.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Now that Lachie McCaffrey has confirmed he is going to the Force for two years to hold the tackle pads for Pocock, Hodgson, Brown and McCalman the depth in the Waratah backrow looks to be non-existent. We have:
Chris Alcock, a fetcher with tackling deficiencies
Dave Dennis, a genuine quality 6 or 8
Pat McCutcheon, a fetcher with impact deficiencies
Wycliff Palu, uninjured he is a world class 8
Hugh Perret, a trier who did not disgrace himself but not test squad quality​
Of those, I would only be happy with Palu and Dennis starting in a final. There has been talk Rocky Elsom might or might not play. Its also possible the coaching team want to use Dean Mumm at 6, which in my opinion would be a better position for him than lock.

But to me that backrow squad is absolutely deficient for a team wanting to win the competition, particularly at 7 where I want Jono Jenkins signed immediately. The only impact no. 8 we have if Palu is injured is TPN. Everyone else who is any good is at another franchise and it seems that while we fiddle with the end of season review the squad is being burnt before our very eyes.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It just underlines the blunder in letting Mowen go. It shouldn't have happened unless somebody was recruited in his stead, but they stopped talks with Elsom and I'm not aware of anybody else on the shopping list.

I doubt if they will contract another 7 since Alcock and McCutcheon - only 7s at the Super level IMO - are already on the books. If Dennis is to be the Palu backup, what we need is another 6, not a 7. An 8 would do and then Dennis becomes a 6 again.

Agree about Perrett - a real tryer, but, like Tim Davidson: a good club player but a 3rd string Super player.

Apparently the Force have dropped Metuisela who I reckon is a real hard bastard 8. It might be worthwhile to swap McCaffrey with him, so to speak. I am always wary of signing dropped players, though we could have a very long thread of why that opinion is bunk.

I think that 8. Lopeti Timani is destined to play Super Rugby. I didn't think it would be as early as next year but you never know.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The NZRU yesterday said Williams had signed with them, but the Herald understands he has given them only a verbal guarantee.

Not worth the paper it's printed on.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Is his English good? He could use the Russian's line; "I must break you".

Repeat after me.

"Ek sal jou opfok".

His English will be fine. He'll sound a bit funny but not more funny than someone who is from Queensland.

Looking forward to cheering him on.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

Great moments in journalism. The fact that there would be no possibility of a top up from the ARU with Williams having played for the All Blacks didn't discourage our man Pandaram from grinding out a quick 700 words when faced with a copy deadline and nothing rugby related to write about.

Of course the comment from Waratahs CEO Jason Allen more or less gives the game away: ''If the question is would we ever want him in our squad if we could fulfil any financial demands - of course, without a doubt."

The financial buoyancy at Driver Avenue puts the disclaimer, "if we could fulfil any financial demands", on a par with classic hypotheticals like: "if I win Lotto" and "If your aunty had balls ..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom