• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I am another who thinks that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is not as good a fullback as he is a wing or 13. I don't like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s play from 13, I am not a fan of his kicking, and I am not a fan of his joining the line from fullback. Also thought he was very bad there for the Wallabies, I reckon J'OC should've been at fullback with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the wing.

The Waratahs need another playmaker or spark in that backline with Beale gone, and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 15 won't cut it, I don't think. On paper, the Tahs backline has some wonderful names, but I am not quite sure that the balance is there.

That being said, that pack will win them games either way.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The Tah's have better 13's than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) IMO. Horne and Carter come to mind and you'd lose nothing by having those two as the midfield combination linking with Barnes, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 15 with Mitchell and Turner on the wings. Pretorious at 9 could be a real surprise packet too, although your f***** if you lose him.
9. Pretorius
10. Barnes
11. Turner
12. Carter
13. Horne
14. Mitchell
15. Ashley-Cooper

Good mix of experience and youth, solid defence and threatening in attack. Mitchell and Barnes will have to provide the spark, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Carter and Horne with all the hard yards and crash balls from set plays. Throw the form book out the window and it's a better back-line than the Reds.... on paper anyway. Scrum will be huge

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
That backline is not balanced, though, unless Horne and Carter take more of a role in the backline plays than they have. I just don't think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a fullback - he's a utility who can play fullback, but he's not a fullback.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Plenty of runners for Barnes to hit though and solid defensively

If that doesn't work or after the first set of injuries, Bernard Foley plays that counter attack/distributor role from 15 for Uni rather well

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, Foley is the type of player I would expect to come on and provide a real spark to that backline. Lots of elusive and strong runners, a second guy (with Barnes) who can both run into a hole and create one for another man will provide an extra dimension. Horne might also have that capability to set up the men outside if they look a little one-dimensional, hopefully he stays fit and we see what he can do with an increased role.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the wing and Turner to full back. Horne and Carter to swap centre roles. Horne will offer better distribution at 12.

P

pete88

9. Pretorius
10. Barnes
11. Turner
12. Carter
13. Horne
14. Mitchell
15. Ashley-Cooper

I wonder if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Turner might swap spots. For me AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has played his best footy this year and throughout his career on the wing, although he's been excellent and too quiet in all his main positions. No matter what if that lot stays on the field behind a reasonably fit Tahs pack... fuck.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I wonder if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Turner might swap spots. For me AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has played his best footy this year and throughout his career on the wing, although he's been excellent and too quiet in all his main positions. No matter what if that lot stays on the field behind a reasonably fit Tahs pack... fuck.

Agree isn't strong enough. I think there is a strong argument for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) being on the bench as a utility reserve. His form all year for the Ponies and for the Wallabies just doesn't fill me enthusiasm for him to start on the wing in front of Mitchell or Pakalani. I would suggest that Turner go to 15.

The RWC should finally put to rest the notion of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as a fullback and for that matter a 13. A 13 especially should be able to effectively carry in both hands. The fact that he is only really effective with the ball in the left is a real handicap if he is going to run the 13 channel on the right hand side of the field which we saw for the Wallabies.

I am thinking now that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s only really effective spot will be at 14 or as a Utility sub. Fact is I rate Pakalani very highly and I would like more genuine pace out of the back three than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) provides.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Agree isn't strong enough. I think there is a strong argument for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) being on the bench as a utility reserve. His form all year for the Ponies and for the Wallabies just doesn't fill me enthusiasm for him to start on the wing in front of Mitchell or Pakalani. I would suggest that Turner go to 15.

The RWC should finally put to rest the notion of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as a fullback and for that matter a 13. A 13 especially should be able to effectively carry in both hands. The fact that he is only really effective with the ball in the left is a real handicap if he is going to run the 13 channel on the right hand side of the field which we saw for the Wallabies.

I am thinking now that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s only really effective spot will be at 14 or as a Utility sub. Fact is I rate Pakalani very highly and I would like more genuine pace out of the back three than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) provides.

With you as long as Paki has learnt how to catch in the off season.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

forget about it - the wingers and the fullbacks and even the outside centre are not going to be the difference for the Tahs....if there is to be a difference

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Given the length of the season, and the *erm* potential for injuries, my guess is that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will play a lot at 13 (alternating with Horne).

Mitchell, Turner and Pakalani can cover the back 3 very nicely (I like the idea of Mitchell at 15).

Whilst still a bit concerned about No7, I'm happy with the pack.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I don't think Horne will be alternating with anybody if he stays fit but he probably won't; so AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) could be playing there a lot.

I hope that Barnes shows some of the form he had after he he returned from his "footballer's migraine". You could see that he was in top form even for Sydney Uni in club rugby, especially at the ground, and that flowed into the RWC when he got his too few chances. With most players playing in club rugby is not a good indicator of how well they will perform at the highest level but with a player like Barnes you can transpose easily.

His 2012 form may depend on his noggin staying right in the tournament as he looked a bit affected by something before his problem was announced in 2011. That could be hindsight opinion, I know.

I'd also like to see B. Foley on every bench and get several runs at 10 during the season. That may be a bitter pill for the meritorious Hangers, but life moves on. His game is well suited to European rugby and if he gets marginalised at the Tahs he shouldn't worry too much. Mind you, one injury to others can change all that.

Our other backs should be good enough with a decent run with injuries. The warm-up games will be particularly interesting next year as various combos are tried and I trust they will come up with the right balance. I also hope that some of the mindless kicking is withheld next year. Nothing wrong with a good kicking game in a match but we saw very little good stuff from the Tahs in 2011.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree with you completely regarding Bernard Foley. I think he should surpass Hangers this season.

The Tahs could potentially do a 5-2 bench split with Foley on the bench.

Foley could come on at 10 or 15. If Carter came off, Barnes moves to 12 and Foley to 10. Turner or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) cover 13 with Foley or Barnes to move to fullback. Whoever is playing fullback covers wing.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yeah - B. Foley could be a real smokey for the Tahs as a utility and I've mentioned that 5/2 split potential using him too. The other thing is that he has played a lot on the big stage in 7s; so he has a leg up on other blokes with little or no Super experience. Moving the Uni team around the park when Barnes and Hangers were out did him no harm either.

Talk is cheap though. Let's see.

Status
Not open for further replies.