• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Berrick Barnes joins Wallabies stars to re-sign
Melissa Woods
February 11, 2011

Berrick Barnes of the Waratahs has signed on with the ARU for two more seasons.
Wallabies inside back Berrick Barnes has become the fifth player within a week to re-sign with Australian rugby.

The expected mass exodus of stars to Europe following the Rugby World Cup later this year has so far failed to eventuate, with Barnes re-committing to Australia and the NSW Waratahs for another two years.

The talented 24-year-old joins Wallaby team-mates Stephen Moore, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Drew Mitchell and Ben Alexander who have all recently re-signed with the ARU.

"I'm excited to be staying here in Sydney with the opportunity to represent my country as well," Barnes said.

"Both parties (the ARU and the NSW Waratahs) have been great.

"I feel like I am wanted. I'm excited about being here.

"We've come close on a number of occasions but to say you've lifted a Bledisloe or a Tri Nations or a World Cup would be nice."

Barnes made his Test debut against Japan at the 2007 World Cup and has 31 caps.

He acknowledged that the other opportunities put to him were enticing, with a return to rugby league rumoured, but he was happy to have his future settled.

"I've got stability and a sense of security. Now I can just focus on the footy," he said.

ARU boss John O'Neill said the Barnes re-signing was further confirmation that the "new generation" Wallabies were determined create an era of consistent success.

"Like me, our players believe they are on the cusp of something special," O'Neill said.

"They want to taste the kind of success that brings with it the most coveted silverware."

"They are a team with an average age of just 24 and they are sitting at No.2 in the world.

"It's why so many people around the game are so excited by what lies ahead in 2011 and in the years to come."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...s-to-resign-20110211-1aq04.html#ixzz1bvw6Lh3Y

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I am pretty sure it was Hickey who decided not to re sign Beau (2009 was his last season with the Tahs and Hickey's first) after a season where he was struggling to get to the bench by the end of the season. I think from memory didn't even get in the squad sent to SA for the last games of that season.

You could be right fatprop - I just looked up the number of games all the Tahs played in 2009 when I made my post and his name wasn't listed as even playing from the bench that year; so I thought he wasn't in the squad. Therefore my comment about Link on the matter was wrong.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Who will be the captain? I would of thought Mumm was being groomed but he might face a battle to hold his spot in the 15. Barnes would have to be the best choice you would think

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think almost every Tahs fan must be in agreement that Mumm can't be captain for precisely the reason you stated. Barnes or Elsom seem like the obvious choices.

With Elsom's relationship with Foley, he might be the most likely choice even though he is new to the team.

Mitchell would be a candidate if he wasn't so far away from the action.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I hope Elsom doesn't get the job on the basis of nepatism. He would be a very handy vice captain but I am not sure giving it to the new bloke would be good for the team culture.

The other interesting question is if Mumm doesn't make the 15, who calls the lineout? I would put my money on Rocky for that one.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The injury to Vickerman has increased the likelihood of Mumm playing for most of the season, but I think the skipper should be Elsom anyway.

I think the captain should always be a forward, other things being equal, otherwise Barnes would be very good.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Im happy with captain Rock. I'm also happy for Mitchell (if he moves to FB) or barnes though.

LEft field choice for mine is Robbo.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
No winger/fullback captains, please. If a forward needs to speak to the ref, he looks up. If a back needs to speak to the ref, they need to run over, which takes precious ref handling time.

T

TheNextBigThing

Surprised that no-one's mentioned Turner. Based on last year's hierarchy, he took over when Mumm and Waugh were both off the field.

That said I'm always hesitant to suggest an outside back be made captain as they wouldn't be able to manage the ref effectively.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Surprised that no-one's mentioned Turner. Based on last year's hierarchy, he took over when Mumm and Waugh were both off the field.

That said I'm always hesitant to suggest an outside back be made captain as they wouldn't be able to manage the ref effectively.

We wouldn't want Turner to get a big head.... oh wait...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If we give the captaincy to Tom Carter he'll never let go of it...

Unless we sign Tim Davidson ..............................

I think Mumm will be captain, especially with Viks wounded, Barnes wound be another good option

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Seriously, this Beau Robinson issue is a real bugbear of mine. In 2008, Ewen McKenzie actually had Beau Robinson go back to play for Dubbo in the last round of the competition. He only made it back into the 22 for the semi and final because David Lyons was injured. Pat McCutcheon even travelled with the team to Christchurch as 23rd man with some close to the team thinking Link was going to debut Cutch in the final ahead of Beau.

Small correction - I think it was a middle Cutch brother (who has since retired and gone back to his family on the farm), not the younger Pat. This bit of pointless correction was brought to you by the word of the day: pendantry.

Status
Not open for further replies.