• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

waves

I hope that Bennett's bloke gets snapped up by the Force. From all reports, he has the class to be good 13. These are rare, and if he can't get a go at the Tahs he should move on instead of attempting to get a wing spot. The Force also need a big classy center as well, so I hope he has a good tour.

His breakout season has been this year in Shute Shield with great form behind him, but class will come along with experience and cofidence in which I hope he develops within the next couple years in the Super franchise environment, Also how big is he ? From memory (could be wrong) Isn't he a tall rangy type centre with good footwork and speed.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Also Afusipa Taumoepeau agreed with Tah's for extended squad.

I hope he flourishes here, I enjoy watching him play for Easts and his brother Pauliasi ("The Black Jesus" - Dean Mumm) coaches my side. He isnt bad either. We came back from 19-5 down to win after the bell ;)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So the Sonny Bill story was dead from the start as the Tahs already had their one foreign marquee spot taken with Pretorius...

Good work SMH...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Against Tonga A [Lopeti] got absolutely hammered. Can't see him going much further.

I think you'll find Bernard Foley signed top squad contract so will be included in main 30.

I saw that Tonga game and didn't notice what you said - but maybe the fault was in my observation.

Foley has been mentioned on this forum as having a contract but I can't remember seeing anything official. Any links, anybody?

Also how big is [Bennetts]? From memory (could be wrong) Isn't he a tall rangy type centre with good footwork and speed.

185cms and 90 kgs. Fast enough as a 13 and has had to play on the wing in younger days, which was good for his experience. Good feet and hands but could be more direct sometimes. Good rugby head.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So the Sonny Bill story was dead from the start as the Tahs already had their one foreign marquee spot taken with Pretorius...

Good work SMH...

on the same thread but in the terror

It is expected Rocky Elsom will re-join the Waratahs but it's unlikely there'll be any other major signings.

K

Keithy

Foley has a 2 year full contract with the tahs. Is Dave Dennis a definate with the tahs?

Cyril Towers (30)

Good work SMH...
What makes you a "foreign marquee player"? Do you have to play Test rugby? Pretorius hasn't done that yet.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
That was what I thought Topo, Pretorius was merely a 'foreign development player' as he could still hypothetically play for the Wallabies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Foley has a 2 year full contract with the tahs. Is Dave Dennis a definate with the tahs?

Everybody says B. Foley has a contract but nobody comes up with a link to the info. Does anybody have one?

On Dennis

Tuesday, 23 March 2010
NSWRU Media Unit
Versatile forward Dave Dennis has declined other offers to remain with the HSBC Waratahs, announcing a new two-year deal today.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
"But once a player has represented his country at Test, A-team or Sevens level, he is regarded as a representative of that nation for the remainder of his career."

Pretorius played for the Emerging Springboks (so says Wikipedia), so presumably that is what makes him a "foreign marquee player". But I don't know how far I'd trust Jamie.

More here.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...-out-of-sbw-race--for-now-20110810-1imxk.html

You have to admire the sheer gall and chutzpah of Jamie Pandaram. Having yesterday written a piece of absolute nonsense about the Waratahs attempting to sign Sonny Bill Williams, today he cranks out another few hundred words pointing out the impossibility of such a proposal.

This man is employed by the Sydney Morning Herald presumably with the job description of "journalist".

Richo

John Thornett (49)
You have to admire the sheer gall and chutzpah of Jamie Pandaram. Having yesterday written a piece of absolute nonsense about the Waratahs attempting to sign Sonny Bill Williams, today he cranks out another few hundred words pointing out the impossibility of such a proposal.

This man is employed by the Sydney Morning Herald presumably with the job description of "journalist".

With that kind of ingenuity the man will go far.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
Have seen here (http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_7093963,00.html) and on another thread that Eddie Bredenhann has signed to play for the Lions in next years Super Rugby tournament.

Shame to lose a player that both the Waratahs and ARU hierarchies identified as possessing talent. I thought it was a year or two early for him, but John Mitchell obviously disagrees.

Where does that leave us in terms of halfbacks for the future? I'm quite happy with McKibbin and Pretorius for next year, but who is to be the 3rd string development #9 for the future?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
This could turn out well for Ed because he could get more game time for the Lions than the 3rd string Tahs guy would get - assuming he got that spot. And he's only 3rd string at Sydney Uni.

The excellent Lions scrummie, Veermaak, is playing for the Bulls next year. Kockott will probably still be there as far as I know, but he is going to Castres on a temporary contract to cover the start of the Top14 season. There is talk of his staying on "if things go well."

Ed has maybe made a good move - watch this space.

As for 3rd string scrummies - to quote myself from earlier in the thread:

9: Possibilities are Schwager, Bredenhann and Roos. Hart can't be categorised as a rookie having played Super14 before.

I must say that I was underwhelmed by Schwager (and replacement Phipps for matter) in the Uni v Southerns game last weekend and for Souths Hart was not great, nor Roos in the Twos.

T

tranquility

Very clever.

Ed is South African and only came over to Australia at about 16 I think? Where he went to Churchie, and was a standout.

Maybe he is keen to go back to the homeland? or maybe it is a career move? who knows..

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I must say that I was underwhelmed by Schwager (and replacement Phipps for matter) in the Uni v Southerns game last weekend and for Souths Hart was not great, nor Roos in the Twos.

This is not good news. If Hickey is still running the recruiting (how long can a season review take to do? surely not as long as a season) then maybe he'll offer the third halfback job to Phibbs. Its the sort of back-to-the-future selection he did with Anesi.

inthestands

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'm not too worried about the third half, as much as I would be most other positions. I think Pretorius gives them something, I think McKibbin is really strong, but if the best the third stringer can do is deliver to No.10 good ball and make the tackles, then I think that can do. That's all Swanepoel has been doing for Canterbury in NPC and it is enough for them.

It's not like a third string hooker who can't hold his own in a scrum; that was where Ulugia was actually a pretty good acquisition in 2011, particularly given the TPN and Fitz injuries.

K

Keithy

Waratahs are the only aust. team not to have announced a coach and new signings. Good luck to Eddie, should have left Uni at the start off the season and played more 1st grade. Have a bet he was on a scholarship and was locked in to uni.

Status
Not open for further replies.