• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Understand what I'm saying?

Yes, but it still wont generate the financial benefits that it did when Izzy or Special K switched to the AFL or when the likes of Tuqir and Sailor switched to Union back in 2002/03... All ground breaking moves in their time. He is more of the Timana Tahu mould...

T

TOCC

So looking at the squad and picking a 15 here's something I'd like to see.

1.Fatcat
2.TPN
3.Kepu
4.Douglas
5.Timani
6. Dennis
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. McKibbon/Lucas
10. Foley
11. Drew
12. TURNER
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Folau
15. Barnes

The forwards are pretty straight forward to be honest. Could easily the Wallabies 8 next year.

Backline is tricky to balance in the midfield. My solution is Turner. I'm not a massive fan of him out on the wing. He doesn't get involved as much as drew or digby. But he fancies himself in the centres. On top of size and pace he has great quick hands. Let's leave Barnes out the back and allow foley to grow into a 10.

9. McKibbon
10. Foley
11. Mitchell
12. Horne
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Folau
15. Barnes

I think Horne might be a better solution at 12

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
As Izzy grew up in western Sydney, hope he gets aligned with the Emus in the Shute Shield. It should generate a bit of buzz and rugby needs all the help it can get in the west.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
hahaha interesting, will the new up and rising Ben Volavola be one of the first waratah players with a bit of indian blood in him! great to see how this kid goes

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
My solution is Turner. I'm not a massive fan of him out on the wing. He doesn't get involved as much as drew or digby. But he fancies himself in the centres. On top of size and pace he has great quick hands. Let's leave Barnes out the back and allow foley to grow into a 10.
Problem is Turner has played 13 not 12. Lots of potential 13's not so many potential 12's.

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Lets just hope they make their minds up and stick with getting some consistency in combinations FFS! I am sick to death of the Oz Lotto-esque selections of past seasons. Have some balls, tell players where they are going to play and play them there.

The Rant

Fred Wood (13)
Problem is Turner has played 13 not 12. Lots of potential 13's not so many potential 12's.

Correct - the real problem is 12. My solution is Turner.
I know he's played 13 at club level a lot and even once for the wallabies I think (maybe just a mid-week game). But I don't see any reason why he can't do really well playing 12 at super level. Would love to see his quick hands releasing AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

Only other 12 options in the squad are AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (rather him at 13), Carter (rather him at home) and Horne (rather him on the wing where he doesn't have to pass). Barnes and foley are other options but not the way I'd go.

I think Horne might be a better solution at 12

Horne at 12 is just a poor man's McCabe and gives you the same issues we've seen at the wallabies. Good defence and hard running but no distribution or ability to use footwork to keep defences guessing and honest.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Lets just hope they make their minds up and stick with getting some consistency in combinations FFS! I am sick to death of the Oz Lotto-esque selections of past seasons. Have some balls, tell players where they are going to play and play them there.

The problem with this, which I agree with as a general assertion, is the massive over-representation of wingers in the squad. As Qwerty has posted, leaving out Hodge and Crawford...

Picking 2 wingers from Folau, Mitchell, Turner, Kingston, Betham is going to be tough.

So we have:
  1. Folau: Our marquee player, the one who will lead the advertising push. He'll have to get some serious game time, probably a couple of starts against weak teams plus bench spot most weeks.
  2. Mitchell: At his best, Australia's best winger. Can cut teams to pieces. If his ankle holds up he is an automatic selection most weeks
  3. Turner: A Wallaby who has never let the Waratahs down. You would expect him to start most weeks.
  4. Kingston: A development project who is coming along nicely and had some great moments last year. Will be lucky to get a couple of bench spots all year. Candidate to get very pissed off and go to another franchise.
  5. Betham: Has absolutely torn it up in the NPC this year, would have won a spot in the best NPC team easily. Will be lucky to get a half in a trial. Will be very pissed off and will be looking for another franchise.
  6. Hodge: Won't even get a spot in the trials. Next year's Trist. Poor bastard.
  7. Crawford: Had too many in front of him at the Brumbies so took a contract at the Tahs. Another Trist who might get a half in a trial if he's lucky. Behind Barnes, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Turner and probably Folau at 15. Poor bastard.
  8. Volavola: In the EPS but can forget about a spot on game day. Has to sit out this year and hope he gets a real shot next year.
  9. Barnes
  10. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
In a squad of only 30 we have ten! candidates for three back positions, fully one third of the squad for three positions where the likelihood of injury is lowest. This is the most diabolical recruitment management imagineable. In the new coach's absence, this was Gaffrney's most important job and he has totally fluffed it. I suspect this will stuff the season even before we start. Stupidity of the highest order.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Picking 2 wingers from Folau, Mitchell, Turner, Kingston, Betham is going to be tough.

Not a problem, St Catastrophe of the Injuries will take care of that.

We're still developing in the pool of professional sport in rugby in Australia. Rugby in Europe has the inestimable advantage of apeing soccer (with a few detrimental points, I'll get to them one day) and their large rotating squads. Resting players has been traditionally anathema to Australian (and New Zealand and Saffer) coaches, but we should take a leaf out of the European sport managers' play books. Added to their demands we do a shitload more travelling than they can even imagine, and we STILL demand the best 15 on the paddock for every match. The smart coach who decides to manage his squad for the duration of a Super campaign will be the bloke who succeeds; this'll be the way in future. Possibly Cheika's stint at Stade Francais'll stand him in good stead, as it did for Link. :rolleyes:

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'd be looking at giving Mitchell a run at 15, and then playing Turner/Folau on the wings, with Betham/Kingston coming off the bench.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Not a problem, St Catastrophe of the Injuries will take are of that.

We're still developing in the pool of professional sport in rugby in Australia. Rugby in Europe has the inestimable advantage of apeing soccer (with a few detrimable points, I'll get to them one day) and their large rotating squads. Resting players has been traditionally anathema to Australian (and New Zealand and Saffer) coaches, but we should take a leaf out of the European sport managers' play books. Added to their demands we do a shitload more travelling than they can even imagine, and we STILL demand the best 15 on the paddock for every match. The smart coach who decides to manage his squad for the duration of a Super campaign will be the bloke who succeeds; this'll be the way in future. Possibly Cheika's stint at Paris St Germain'll stand him in good stead, as it did for Link. :rolleyes:

Lindommer, I absolutely agree with everything you said. But who are we going to rotate Dennis with? And is Barnes the only possible player to rotate with Foley? If St Catastrophe strikes big Dave we are totally and utterly stuffed.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm sure the backs will be well rotated but it's the pack that needs rotating and is this a Super rugby capable pack?

1. Tilse
2. Ulugia
3. Ryan
4. Atkins
5. Peterson
6. Holloway
7. McCutcheon
8. L Timani

If Fitz is out for the season, it would make the acquisition of Holmes astute and we could bring in a backrower.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yes, but it still wont generate the financial benefits that it did when Izzy or Special K switched to the AFL or when the likes of Tuqir and Sailor switched to Union back in 2002/03. All ground breaking moves in their time. He is more of the Timana Tahu mould.

Izzy is bigger profile and better liked than Tahu. On top of that he just seems like a better bloke.

Plus, we're paying him far less than a quarter of what the AFL did. We don't need their level of earnings.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
^^ big brother has been used at 6 and McCutchen has as well, and Holloway looks like an option

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
In a squad of only 30 we have ten! candidates for three back positions, fully one third of the squad for three positions where the likelihood of injury is lowest. This is the most diabolical recruitment management imagineable. In the new coach's absence, this was Gaffrney's most important job and he has totally fluffed it. I suspect this will stuff the season even before we start. Stupidity of the highest order.

You are overstating things a bit. Of those ten players, you also include leading candidates for 10, 12 and 13 as well.

I hardly think it will 'stuff the season', let's not get too carried away. It wasn't like there were a whole lot of quality backrowers floating around, and we shunned them to sign Folau. The reality was the last signing would have probably been a Shute Shield stalwart, or up and comer. That player will still be there if we are hit by injuries.

We still have good backups in all forward positions. Filling one spot with a winger instead of a backrower doesn't all of a sudden turn everything to shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.