• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent

Bill Watson (15)
Hard to do ruck cleanouts without a fetcher there first.

Looks like Hooper and McCutcheon will be the two sevens for the squad. That means we'll need some good back-up for injury in the EPS and we deliberately did not choose an up-and-coming fetcher in the development squad this year. Chickens, roost anyone? So who in Shutelooks to have the quality to step up that is not already earmarked?

The Force are continuing to try to get their hands on any available seven, somehow cornering the market. But now they have two sevens in Hodgson and Alcock that are not strictly fetchers, but have a much wider skillset. If Eberson goes well at 10 then the Force won't be a bottom four team if they can get their act together early. Their pack has serious quality from front to back.

Is Jordy Reid from Manly worth a look?

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Is Jordy Reid from Manly worth a look?

He would be down my pecking order although can develop into a quality footballer. Hickey or Ale would get first look followed by under-rated Parramatta backrower Maile Latukefu (Been impressed with his form this year - Although plagued with a reoccurring ankle injury) and Eastwoods McCaffrey.

Also does anyone think that Snowden and Schwagger are unlucky with the signing of Matt Lucas. Despite Schwaggers injury his been a great leader for the Students previously shown likewise with Snowden especially now having that opportunity of finals experience. I think both players have been exceptional for their club thus far and are capable of providing more options at Super Rugby.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Miller from Norths looked handy at the start of the year, haven't seen him for a while so not sure how he is going now. Played Oz schoolboys last year.
Top player and a brave rooster but he weighed only 86kgs last year for Oz Schools and is 85kgs now.

He's doing well to be playing grade the year after leaving school but you have to doubt if he will be a big enough man to play Super Rugby.

You never know though: watch this space.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
THE INSIDE BACK

The Waratahs squad for next year will be announced this week and it's becoming more likely that a head coach will also be appointed. It is believed Michael Cheika will be confirmed by Friday with a long-term deal that will see him link with interim coach Allan Gaffney. It often gets overlooked that Gaffney coached Ireland to an upset win of the Wallabies at last year's World Cup. He and Cheika have a great relationship and will work well together. So far as the squad goes, notable omissions include Dan Vickerman, Dean Mumm and Daniel Halangahu. South African import Sarel Pretorius is still contracted but his manager is free to negotiate a new deal elsewhere. It's expected he will either return home or link with Michael Foley at the Western Force. The biggest inclusion is former Brumbies flanker Michael Hooper, who is part of Robbie Deans's Wallabies team.

Members only

With Waratahs memberships having officially gone on sale this week, interim coach Allan Gaffney has penned a letter to existing members detailing the side's horror season and urging them to stick solid with the side. The Inside Back got hold of the letter and here are some of the more telling parts. ''The wind of change has blown through this place and it's reinvigorated things,'' Gaffney wrote. ''We can't shy away from the fact that last season was extremely disappointing for everyone, including the players, coaching staff and, of course, our members. No one here is sitting on their hands. We are reinvigorated and keen to get on with next season. The players agreed that as a group they need to take more responsibility on the field and be more accountable. The meeting was extremely positive … Here's hoping for a new start in 2013.''
The Inside Back got hold of the letter and here are some of the more telling parts.

Thanks for that wonderful piece of investigative journalism Josh.

Rakic and Growden... our own Woodward and Bernstein.

What will they uncover next?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Looks like you scooped Rakic and Growden by a mere six days, Braveheart, given that you posted the full text of the Gaffney letter last Wednesday. I suppose R & G could have been forgiven for thinking they had something of an exclusive because they drew attention to the fact that the letter was sent to Waratahs' "existing members", the ranks of whom might now barely fill a mini-bus.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Also does anyone think that Snowden and Schwagger are unlucky with the signing of Matt Lucas. Despite Schwaggers injury his been a great leader for the Students previously shown likewise with Snowden especially now having that opportunity of finals experience. I think both players have been exceptional for their club thus far and are capable of providing more options at Super Rugby.

I wonder if these guys even had a chance. Shute Shield is underutilized to say the least.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Top player and a brave rooster but he weighed only 86kgs last year for Oz Schools and is 85kgs now.

He's doing well to be playing grade the year after leaving school but you have to doubt if he will be a big enough man to play Super Rugby.

You never know though: watch this space.

I think most men can get big enough, but no doubt it's much harder for some than others. Remember what we were saying about Gill?

As long as they're not built like cross country runners S&C and dieticians can do some amazing work.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Just to scoop Growden.
(and in Growden speak)

A high ranking NSW official is likely to be on his way out after he didn't get his way in the waratahs coach selection. Having had several run ins with other board members over it, he has been caught out lying to an assistant coach that the speculated new coach would sack him in an effort to win support for his choice of a local coach.

Also "radio" blah blah blah.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think that the artcile was just poorly disguised PR by the Tahs to say to the wider community (non-members) that the Tahs are trying to turn things around. The SMH just went a bit stupid pretending that it was a scoop.
yep, is it me or are they also going out of their way to ''upsell'' Gaffney to us. Every time they seem to mention his name it is always in a positive light.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
This is the banner accompanying 2013 Tahs membership promotions.

SP0179_MEMBERSHIP_Leaderboard.jpg

Considering the hole they dug themselves into in 2012, they shouldn't dig any deeper. As for tackle harder and playing smarter, isn't that a given? Where are the commas?

The merchandise included (cap, keyring, lanyard and sticker) is not as impressive as the Reds packages. However, you are paying more for a Reds package.

The countdown clock on the Reds membership page and the number of members remaining to reach their 40,000 target is a nice touch. Also, only full season tickets available for the Reds.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Waratahs Rugby Board are pleased to announce former Waratah and Wallaby Lock, Roger Davis as new Chairman. Davis’ first priority as Chairman is the successful appointment of a new head coach stating “A thorough recruitment process is well underway and we are confident that the knowledge and experience of the sub-committee and the rigour of our process will deliver the best long-term outcome for everyone involved in rugby in NSW.”

Also:

Waratahs Rugby is also pleased to welcome Paul Timmins to its Board of Directors. Managing Director at Getronics Australia Pty Ltd, Mr Timmins is a member of the NSW Rugby Union Board of Directors, Chairman of NSW Suburban Rugby and aLife Member of the Old Ignatians Rugby Club.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
In recent weeks it has come to light that a high ranking rugby journalist with fairfax has been dubbed "Backed up public toilet" for his ability to constantly produce shit in a public forum.

Swat, I need to get your address so I can send you the drycleaning bill for the coffee I just spat out all over my shirt and keyboard from laughing at the above post.

Still smiling and bursting into chuckles at it now as I type.

"Backed up Public Toilet" indeed!!! Co-workers are giving me some funny looks.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Swat, I need to get your address so I can send you the drycleaning bill for the coffee I just spat out all over my shirt and keyboard from laughing at the above post.

Still smiling and bursting into chuckles at it now as I type.

"Backed up Public Toilet" indeed!!! Co-workers are giving me some funny looks.

Send the bill here:
1 Darling Island Road
Pyrmont NSW 2009

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
The merchandise included (cap, keyring, lanyard and sticker)

Sounds like a small thing but I'm glad they have a sticker. All over town you see on the back of cars, Roosters, Souths, Swans, Tigers etc member stickers, but there are no recent rugby stickers (i.e. Wallaby, Tahs) on cars advertising the game (actually I saw a Brumby one the other day). It's free advertising. I hope it's a decent sticker that can go on a car window.

Status
Not open for further replies.