• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The leading teams in professional contact sports use a comprehensive mix of quantitative and qualitative stats.
The accuracy comes because they are captured from detailed video analysis.
Each of the sports tracks very specific actions related to that player's position and the team's performance.
The best of the best teams use this performance criteria and stats analysis in decision making for team selection, recruitment and retention.
The players know what's important, know they're going to be measured performing these actions, and accountability results.
Exceptionally good or poor examples are shared with individual players via edited video footage online so they can review them from wherever.
Accurate and relevant stats are invaluable.

The beauty of the rigour you mention is that players and coaches can differentiate between specific on-field actions. For example, a lock who makes two line breaks may be rated below a no8 who took the ball into contact five times, attracting 3 defenders each time, but doesn't break the line at all.
The qualitative aspect must be considered too - Hooper's kick-off chase and tackle v France was an energising action for the whole team and supporters.
Thanks for your explanation IIWIS.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It must be pointed out that the stats delivered in these high-intensity coaching environments are also far more accurate than what you get in Fantasy Footy or during the live call of a game, too.

I'm not saying Simmons doesn't deserve to be a Wallaby based on his recent form in a gold jumper. I just wish he'd fucking hit someone in a way that mattered.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Question; If you catch the ball shuffle your feet forward a little then zero in on the ground does this constitute a run via stats?? Also if an opposition player runs into you and two other forwards and is brought down way past the advantage line does this constitute a "tackle" according to stats?

The total number of tackles made by a team equals the sum of individual tackles so there is only ever one person credited with a tackle from what I can see.

The total number of runs doesn't equate to the total number of tackles or tackles plus linebreaks or anything like that so it appears there is some discretion on what the stats compiler considers a run.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The total number of tackles made by a team equals the sum of individual tackles so there is only ever one person credited with a tackle from what I can see.

Huh? One is the sum of the other so of course it matches. It would be more accurate to compare number of rucks v tackles to see if credit is doubling up.

I happened to look at the stats after SOO2 just for a comparison. The number of tackles made by NSW exceed the number of runs made by QLD by about 2.5. Because multiple tacklers.

Yod need a system to count and split tackle counts e.g. you bring them to deck by yourself, you get one point. Two of you go in, half a point each, and so on.

But this is rugby - so what if you stop them dead but it turns into a maul? :)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
As is only right, Hawko - because I don't contribute to those other threads.

Balloons require hot air to stay afloat ;)

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
As is only right, Hawko - because I don't contribute to those other threads.

Balloons require hot air to stay afloat ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you just admit to posting a lot of hot air?? Not like you to be so self-deprecating.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
As the Tahs head for the Finals, is it time for a remix of this classic 2010 song to spice it up with some of this seasons highlights and a lot more Izzy?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Never seem to see the stat that shows how long a unit lays on the ground after or during a ruck as well. One of my pet hates is watching how slow some units can be to get back in the game. Robbo at his laziest can take forever to get back into the game. His headgear needs to be straightened etc etc

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
As the Tahs head for the Finals, is it time for a remix of this classic 2010 song to spice it up with some of this seasons highlights and a lot more Izzy?

Just a gentle reminder, if any one was needed, of just how much matural talent Beale has. That grubber kick, off-balance, was just magic. Turned a potential tackle/ruck into a try.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Does anyone know how the Semi will work for members? Are they going to start selling tickets from now since we are guaranteed the home match, or do you think they will wait until we know the opposition? I am fairly sure that somewhere I read that we get to keep our current seats if we pay for the semi ticket. I wonder if it is the same for the Final and our seats at ANZ.

Why wouldn't they put the Semi tickets on sale now?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Does anyone know how the Semi will work for members? Are they going to start selling tickets from now since we are guaranteed the home match, or do you think they will wait until we know the opposition? I am fairly sure that somewhere I read that we get to keep our current seats if we pay for the semi ticket. I wonder if it is the same for the Final and our seats at ANZ.

Why wouldn't they put the Semi tickets on sale now?

do they know when exactly it will be played? Friday or Saturday?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
do they know when exactly it will be played? Friday or Saturday?

One of the two (last two years it has been leading side Friday (Chiefs) & Saturday (Stormers)), but it is more important to get the job done well on Saturday night and keep that angry defensive momentum building

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
One of the two (last two years it has been leading side Friday (Chiefs) & Saturday (Stormers)), but it is more important to get the job done well on Saturday night and keep that angry defensive momentum building

Loved Cheika's half time comment about getting more physical in attack before going wide - that plus strong defence were features of the game.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Nothing on any sites even mentioning scheduling that I can see ...let alone tickets..If anyone knows timing of ticket sales etc could they post...some very keen "Joeys" in my house.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Just rang the 'tahs and spoke to what was probably an intern....

Anyway, we are to "expect an email later in the week" regarding SF tix. He did confirm that as I have an 8 game members ticket, I get to keep my seat for the SF. He also thought we could do that for ANZ which is great as we are between the half way and 10m line at both stadiums.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hopefully they can confirm the date of the fixture and start selling tickets well in advance of knowing who the opposition is.

It would be good to be able to take advantage of the three weeks notice to have more leadtime to sell tickets.

I'm hoping it's a Saturday night rather than the Friday night.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
from a QLD perspective, we've always had a member only pre-sale period which pretty much begins the Sunday morning before the final. I think that lasted a day or so before being open to the public.

So when it happens, don't hang back - get in there.

Reactions: Ash
Status
Not open for further replies.