• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
NO! I've been a Tah supporter since the late 60's so I am intimately acquainted with the history and I still remember walking back to my car after the first final thinking I'd seen a cracking game but that realistically we did just not believe we could win it enough. Then I watched Kurtley get cut down by the injury gods just as we started to get on top of the Saders, which snuffed out our chance of winning it in Canterbury.

I have deeply held hope but experience tells me that the moment I put that suggestion into words that the rugby gods will punish me in the usual manner. All Waratah supporters, including yourself, should wipe all such suggestions from your vocabulary until it actually happens. Then and only then can we breathe those two tiny words - "at last!"
sooooooo true.....everytime I think it i say to myself Remember the curse of the "dreaded Dunnings"....poor bloke took three Marist Brothers three weeks to rid him of the "evil droppsy demons"....:D

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Hawko are you suggesting we are going to win in 2014 :eek:

Wash your mouth. Never utter those words again.

There are two things in life you shouldn't ask:

1) never ask a women if she is pregnant unless you can see a baby coming out of her

2) never ask a Waratahs supporter if this is the year, unless the final whistle has sounded and the Waratah's captain is holding aloft the trophy.

Both questions can lead to awkwardness and tears.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
its on the website down the bottom right. Foley has had 1 sprayed on him :confused:

That jersey/prototype actually had the Volvo logo on as a sticker if you look closely.

It'd be very surprising if it's been released ahead of the Tahs actually doing so. I know the merchandise booklet photo session last year was under tight wraps before they released the gear. But who knows.

T

TOCC

It wouldn't be the first time an Australian supporter jersey was released to the international market before Australia.. It must have some to do with licensing and distribution rights.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I think that Chieka should try Kurtley at 13 in the trials. He is an absolute genius in unlocking defences with his step and off-loading in traffic and he is seriously fast. He is very good at setting up wingers for tries as he has done from 15 at Waratah and Wallaby level.

His one-on-one defense is way better than he is given credit for. If he can learn to play the defensive role of a 13 it might be the genius move of 2014. That would leave AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Crawford on the wings and Betham as the outside back reserve. Hard to think of a better high-ball back three than Folau, Crawford and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), and with Foley and Horne inside that is a backline that could destroy the best of teams. Frightening depth in the squad if injury strikes.

If it succeeded it would give us Kuridrani, Beale and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for the Wallabies at 13 and that would be the three-choice depth we need come 2015. Its getting crowded at the top level now (except for tight head prop).

Interesting idea and worth a crack. We're rather thin at 13, so even if he's third-string behind AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Horne, that'd be a nice thing to know was going to work.

lemoen

Ted Fahey (11)
Have you read the comments section? Talk about feral. If those guys came on here they wouldn't last 48 hours!

Minus the usual racism, IMO, it's not like the comment section at foxsports is that much better. Haven't checked out the comments at Fox since I found this site though :)

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Interesting idea and worth a crack. We're rather thin at 13, so even if he's third-string behind AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Horne, that'd be a nice thing to know was going to work.

If Kurtley were to become the next Conrad Smith, that would only be good news for the Tahs and the Wobs. A ball-playing 13 outside a hard running 12 (llke Horne or even Godwin for the Wobs) could be a real threat, particularly with some good finishers on the wing. He would have to learn to ditch the jinking steps and run straighter at the defenders.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Think Folau will play 13 for the Tahs and KB (Kurtley Beale) at 15. - That shouldn't be the case but the Tahs will slot in both big $$$$ signings.

Really think the Tahs are the real deal in 2014 and shutting down
Folau will be so very important for opposition teams if they are going to win.

Expect him to be very heavily targeted and pressured (much like QC (Quade Cooper) was or is). The bloke has had a wonderful initial year but probably flew a bit under the radar. Izzy is super talented etc etc so it will be interesting as to his reaction when he becomes the subject of targetted and relentless defence.. I would also expect that the high ball be kicked everywhere where he isn't (because he is incredibly safe under the bomb). opposition teams will not want to give him any time or space to return the pill with width and at pace.

2014 looks interesting for the Tahs.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Think Folau will play 13 for the Tahs and KB (Kurtley Beale) at 15. - That shouldn't be the case but the Tahs will slot in both big $$$$ signings.

But then what do you do with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)?

How do you know that Cheika won't put Foley in at 12 and KB (Kurtley Beale) at 10?

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
But then what do you do with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)?

How do you know that Cheika won't put Foley in at 12 and KB (Kurtley Beale) at 10?

Foley's never played there, why would he? I think it's pretty clear what Cheika wants; his eagerness to re-sign Foley suggests he wants him as the 10. Already come out and said Folau will be 13 and his public backing of Beale says he'll be the 15.

9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Betham
12. Horne
13. Folau
14. Ashley-Cooper
15. Beale

21. McKibbin/Lucas
22. Lance
23. Crawford

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
All the talk out of the Tahs is that Beale is hoping to play 10. He will be the backup 10 and 15 unless he can force himself ahead of Foley at some point.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd take Crawford over Betham any day. The way I see it, the backline should look like this:

9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Crawford
12. Horne
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Folau
15. Beale

21. McKibbon
22. Lance
23. Betham

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Foley's never played there, why would he? I think it's pretty clear what Cheika wants; his eagerness to re-sign Foley suggests he wants him as the 10. Already come out and said Folau will be 13 and his public backing of Beale says he'll be the 15.

9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Betham
12. Horne
13. Folau
14. Ashley-Cooper
15. Beale

21. McKibbin/Lucas
22. Lance
23. Crawford

What has Crawford done to be relegated to the bench? I'd say he proved a greater asset then his wing partner. Certainly a better try sneak.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
What has Crawford done to be relegated to the bench? I'd say he proved a greater asset then his wing partner. Certainly a better try sneak.

Nothing? But Betham would be ahead of him after making Wallabies. Betham is more dangerous but more error prone and I think with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the other wing he'd be better than Crawford. Betham running off Folau or Beale offloads = magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.