• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thanks Grant - so that would make it:
TPN
Latu
Roach
there's probably been discussion on this earlier but that depth looks worrying

There is quite a lot of inexperience there, but I guess guys like Will Skelton, Izzy and Cam Crawford were inexperienced at the outset of last year... I've come to learn to trust Chiek's judgement since then.

There was an interview with Hugh Roach from the Shute Shield awards night where he said that it was his dream to play for the Tahs - thats what we need, because we know this bloke will give his all and play to his full potential.

JT0406

Allen Oxlade (6)
There is quite a lot of inexperience there, but I guess guys like Will Skelton, Izzy and Cam Crawford were inexperienced at the outset of last year. I've come to learn to trust Chiek's judgement since then.

There was an interview with Hugh Roach from the Shute Shield awards night where he said that it was his dream to play for the Tahs - thats what we need, because we know this bloke will give his all and play to his full potential.

Is there any footage of Latu in action?
I've seen Roach in action and highly recommend.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Thanks Grant - so that would make it:
TPN
Latu
Roach
there's probably been discussion on this earlier but that depth looks worrying

TPN didn't have a lot of football this year, he has spent a fair bit of time in team rehab. He's not due back till the first week of January, so he'll get a good break before he's back on the park. I think that will help with his durability for the Super season. He has also modified his tackling technique to reduce his propensity for concussion. You never know when injury will strike but he may well get a full Super season, especially if Latu and Roach are used wisely off the bench.

I may be wrong (its happened at least once before) but I reckon Latu and Roach will both be ready to step up. Attitude counts for so much and both have got it in spades.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
That's what happens when you've got a lot of depth in one position. Last year we lined up with Mitchell, Betham, Crawford, Turner & Kingston all as wingers, you can't expect the coach to start anyone other than (in his opinion) the best just to give guys game time. As a result, guys like Kingston & Turner, who didn't get much time, move on. As nice as it would be, you're really never going to keep four or five Super rugby standard players in one position for long.

JT0406

Allen Oxlade (6)
Go

1:05 is footage of him impersonating a winger.
Good footwork to finish a try, however any footage displaying some of the hookers trades or is that it?
What was he doing (and Skelton) out on the wing, interesting positioning for a hooker.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's a very big call but on what I've seen he is one who will impress in 2014
Currently though he'll struggle to make the tahs starting 15. That said, I still think Horne should have made EOYT. And I'm just a punter, what the fuck would I know. Best of luck to him and all the Tahs this year. I'm pumped already.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Go
Good footwork to finish a try, however any footage displaying some of the hookers trades or is that it?
What was he doing (and Skelton) out on the wing, interesting positioning for a hooker.

Hookers are on the wing a bit, especially when a lineout has happened on that side of the field and they have stayed there anticipating a switch of play back. This is politely known as "seagulling".

I asked Latu about that try (which I thought was at the end of the game, which proves how dud my memory is) because he has a tendency to run over people.

He said that he had no clue and that it just happened.

Kingston - yeah he is one I would like to have kept in Sydney but who knows? Maybe he thought he had a better chance to start at the Rebels.

And maybe he wants to be considered as an outside centre. Cheika is on record last year of saying "he is only a winger at this stage".

Tom is an excellent young player with a big potential. The fault I find with his play is similar to that which I find in Pete Betham. He tends to slow down and tries to dodge people rather than swerve and keep the pace up—not that there was any evidence of that in the video.

Westy

Bob McCowan (2)
Hi all,

while we're here - I think I'm missing out on the Skelton hype. Big fella for sure, but I've generally seen him as slow with a tendency to fall over the gain line instead of bending/breaking it. I also know it was his first year with limited game time. What are the areas people see him improving on (or being exceptional in) this year?

Cheers

W

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The bloke in the Tahs squad who must be scratching his head must be Lance. The Tahs will gain depth but I don't see his career benefiting much from the move at this stage.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
The bloke in the Tahs squad who must be scratching his head must be Lance. The Tahs will gain depth but I don't see his career benefiting much from the move at this stage.
Financially benefitting maybe?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I think it will depend on injuries, but I reckon the usual decimation will mean he gets ample opportunity. I see him as a 12 so he is sharing time with Horne........ he could play the whole season

Status
Not open for further replies.