• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Are we really so easily satisfied, Richo, or so demoralised?

"Fighting for a berth in the final round" as a benchmark!The Waratahs are based in a major, very wealthy city where the sport of the CBD is rugby, and where the great majority of Australian professional players are developed. Given these advantages over the other Super franchises we should never be out of the finals series. Getting the team to the finals should not be an aspiration; it should be a requirement.

I know you enjoy hunting for low-hanging fruit, so I'm happy to oblige on that front. I said that should be the absolute minimum. You're right, of course, about where we should be. But I'm sick to death of being off season champions and want to see the team build a strong foundation.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Easy way to get your kickers' percentages up: dominate the game to the point where you score under the fucking posts and don't take three points EVER. It will help fill seats at the stadium too.

Waratahs v Brumbies final at Homebush. See you all there in 2014.

Vanuatu Chiefs

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'm very excited about watching Folau and Beale running around with the Tahs' very promising backline in 2014.

Folau's re-signing consummates his stroll through the ARU's sliding door in the first place. From all reports if the protracted NRL negotiations had moved more promptly he'd probably still be running around in Eels' colours (although no doubt wanting to abandon their slippery slide).

Buster

Chris McKivat (8)
With the main squad taking shape, and only a handful of spots left open for Cheika to fill, is it worth turning some attention to the likely Tah's B side which by the sounds of things is going to feature regularly this season.

I have heard some whispers from a fairly reliable source that the Tah's are planning as if the tah's B side is going to be playing in the B style comp with the other aussie franchises. It would appear likely the provinces are going to help the ARU drive it and use it as a booster platform to get guys playing at a highger standard them the local SS style comp.

On that basis, who out there in the SS is a likely starter in this. I personally think a mix of some old stagers, some quality products moving around now and big flood of the quality youngsters are whats needed. Anyone have any idea of potentials to fill the squad. By counting they will need to identify roughly 20 extras to fill the squad, not sure on payment if any at all, but the lefts overs form the EPS and tahs squad you would imagine will all play, but given injuries, i reckon a list of 20 will need identifying.

Some running around in the SS who i think my warrant a look in:
- Boyd Killingworth
- Hamish Angus
- AJ Gilbert
- Ed Gower
- Saleila Lam
- Richard Stanford
- Andrew Shaw
- David Horwitz
- Fabian Natoli
- Michael McDougall
- Ben Batger
- Jarred Barry
- Jack Dempsey
- Greg Jeloudev
- Jim Stewart

Some possible youngsters:
- Harry Jones
- Andrew Kellaway
- Lachlan Cannell
- Tepai Moroea

Lets here some names! and throw a potential team together. See how strong our depth really is!

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Fantastic to see Israel Folau announce his re-signing whilst hanging with the kids at Fairfield High. A Two Blue Junior (to under 14's when he moved to Queensland) announcing it in the middle of Two Blue territory. Guess we'll see him at off season training at MRSL Park....oh, wait....

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Are we really so easily satisfied, Richo, or so demoralised?

"Fighting for a berth in the final round" as a benchmark!The Waratahs are based in a major, very wealthy city where the sport of the CBD is rugby, and where the great majority of Australian professional players are developed. Given these advantages over the other Super franchises we should never be out of the finals series. Getting the team to the finals should not be an aspiration; it should be a requirement.

I agree Bruce. A pass mark for me would be to make the last four, a Credit if we made the final, Distinction if we won it and a High Distinction if our players made 10 or more out of the Wallaby 23 and we won the Bledisloe.

Like Braveheart and all the rest of the Tahs supporters I have been really disappointed since Link was shafted. We have not played much good rugby since. But that's no reason to set a low standard. Last four is absolutely minimum for mine next year.

The squad is looking stellar except for hooker. But its high time we got some return from that stellar squad.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
The squad is looking stellar except for hooker. But its high time we got some return from that stellar squad.

I'm not sure our squad is stellar yet, I have fears about the drop off in quality of our whole pack if we ship two or three injuries at a similar time. We also relying on Potgieter to have no issues settling into a new team and country, and Skelton being able to continue his rate of development.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Fantastic to see Israel Folau announce his re-signing whilst hanging with the kids at Fairfield High. A Two Blue Junior (to under 14's when he moved to Queensland) announcing it in the middle of Two Blue territory. Guess we'll see him at off season training at MRSL Park..oh, wait..

You will see him as much at MRSL Park as at Syd Uni No.1

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'm finding the complete silence from the league journos about Folau's signing intriguing. Most of the league commentators believed all that they had to do was offer him a decent enough offer and naturally he'd come back to play the game everyone apparently prefers to play.

It's almost as if they / the NRL have all decided that they won't give any publicity to anything non-league now that he's signed elsewhere.

I'd say that if Folau had signed with league, than the shaudenfreude would be incredible.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm finding the complete silence from the league journos about Folau's signing intriguing. Most of the league commentators believed all that they had to do was offer him a decent enough offer and naturally he'd come back to play the game everyone apparently prefers to play.

It's almost as if they / the NRL have all decided that they won't give any publicity to anything non-league now that he's signed elsewhere.

I'd say that if Folau had signed with league, than the shaudenfreude would be incredible.

Propaganda at its finest, the North Koreans will be looking on with interest in case the Pyongyang Daily Telegraph needs a new sports editor to report on all the global sporting triumphs of the mother country.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
Some running around in the SS who i think my warrant a look in:
- Boyd Killingworth
- Hamish Angus
- AJ Gilbert
- Ed Gower
- Saleila Lam
- Richard Stanford
- Andrew Shaw
- David Horwitz
- Fabian Natoli
- Michael McDougall
- Ben Batger
- Jarred Barry
- Jack Dempsey
- Greg Jeloudev
- Jim Stewart

Lets here some names! and throw a potential team together. See how strong our depth really is!

If the Rebels 2014 thread is accurate, looks like Horwitz has been snaffled by the Mexicans already.....

Good luck to him though, however, hope he finds his way back to Tahland sooner rather than later...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
League wouldn't give Union the satisfaction. Roy Masters can't just re-hash his "Folau scams the salary cap" argument - its only 12 months old.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)

Yes, been keeping half an eye open for any reference to this, been kinda slim on the ground.

The missus is into sudoku, so buys the tele for her daily fix. Takes about five minutes to read it start to end mind.

Today (?) was the first reference to izzy signing to union I personally have seen (from league sources that is), from good old Mr Kent, so yeah for sure to be unbiased eh.

Well, wouldn't you know it, izzy (the ex league player, gotta get the hidden agenda) is gonna be the one to revolutionise rugby. You know, just like union did not progress till they got league defence coaches blah blah.

SOOoo, it turns out any reference HAS to be a backhand against union and a biggup for league. Sigh.

But what would you expect from the tele? The one that has on the front page all that crap about league dad's on fathers day?

I did laugh at a league followers survey published a day or two earlier tho, 'SBW all is forgiven' and the person they would MOST like to see come across from union is izzy.

Well they lucked out on izzy, and boy watch the fur fly if SBW comes back.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
If SBW goes back to rugby, the NRL will implode.

Nah. The NRL thrives on any kind of adverse publicity. It'll fill a couple of pages in the Tele for a day, and then they'll be back to hyperventilating about the coming match, or tut-tutting at the latest bashing/drug bust/coach sacking.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
About 50 years too late.

What would we do with about 1000 unemployed tattooed oval ball contact sportsmen, some of whom are very skilled in unsocial behaviour?

Some may find employment at Essendon. Otherwise, "wrestling".

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
THE Wallabies have suffered another major blow with powerhouse backrower Wycliff Palu to miss the rest of the year with injury.
Palu had been struggling with a knee problem since July but initial reports suggested he could return during the Rugby Championship.

I see Cheika having a pretty full pre-season with lots units back it appears, and I see that as very positive

Status
Not open for further replies.