• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
@Lee Grant, when you chatted with Cheika, did the topics of Johnson "The Hill" Falefa, Hugh Roach and the finalisation of the EPS come up?

A snout tells me that Hugh Roach is to all intents and purposes part of the EPS but it would be nice to hear that confirmed.

The Hill is apparently still overseas dealing with some visa or passport type issues before he can come back to Sydney. While he is doing an individual S&C programme under "Skype" monitoring from the Tahs S&C staff, while he is OS, it is a poor substitute for team pre-season training, tactics and contact sessions.

These things including the Falefa tweet were mentioned in the thread last week. As I mentioned then about Falefa, Roach and the two vacant spots: they will use a separate press conference to make a big deal about it as they did when they contracted young Tolu Latu.

As I said: I wouldn't be surprised if Roach got the third hooking spot because he would be my choice but I wouldn't have picked Falefa because he struggled to get around the park at training—and he has apparently been signed; so I could be wrong about Roach too, and maybe they're waiting for someone playing in Japan.

Talakai would be my pick for the other prop.

You have wonder why they are leaving the announcement so late as there is no good reason to do so.

They could always have named Roach, if he is the one, and dealt with the last prop separately, but maybe Roach is getting the EPS spot and that wouldn't warrant a presser and they want to do them together.

I had all these questions about the NSW Under 20 team and Russell Fairfax asked around the Tahs for the answers; then Cheika said he would answer them himself face to face, which he did.

I wasn't about to ask him something which I knew he wouldn't answer and was outside the topic which he agreed to talk about in a private interview anyway.

It could be the first and last time he would speak to me alone with a recorder in front of him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder if it's a case of them knowing who the last two players are going to be, but the fact is that they are pretty even and one has to have a full contract and one has to have an EPS contract.

Maybe there is a continuing battle to see who gets the higher value contract?

T

TOCC

Reds haven't announced their 30th player either, seems to be a trend this year..

Absent Friend

Peter Burge (5)
I wonder if it's a case of them knowing who the last two players are going to be, but the fact is that they are pretty even and one has to have a full contract and one has to have an EPS contract.

Maybe there is a continuing battle to see who gets the higher value contract?
The Tahs web site carries a re tweet from Johnson Falefa regarding "fitness family and faith" or some such alliteration. I think its clear he is the "30th man". That leaves one EPS spot to be filled.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Turning quality fullbacks to average outside centres is one thing the all blacks have done that we should not be trying to emulate. See Christian Cullen

It's Deans' speciality. Any AB supporters care to comment on Deans' backline permutations in 2003RWC?

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
He wasn't afraid to drop a few princesses in big games when he was in charge of the zoo at Stade Français either, which is probably the reason why he ended up back home. They love their princesses in Paris.

enjoy_rugby.jpg

Evidently.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
How time goes by.

They were ramping up the training for the trip to Albury today.

According to J Lance he and Horne are the contenders for inside centre - didn't say so in so many words but he didn't mention anybody else as his rival, only Rob.

Folau is not training anywhere but fullback.

There was familiar face at training today and I couldn't place him—he looked like Leo Cullen the Leinster and ex-Ireland player.

It was Leo—he was here watching the Tahs train for a week or two as he will be retiring soon and wants to coach so he hooked up with his old Leinster coach Michael Cheika. (Leinster doesn't play again until 9th Feb.)

After recovering from his handshake I said he was a long way from home and, was he getting some pointers from Cheika?

He said "No he's getting pointers from the other guy." (himself)

I laughed and said to work on his suntan—he's as white as a ghost.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
^ Lee, Has Andrew Mehrtens been sighted at training? Greg Clark tweeted that he would be giving the Tahs some kicking tips this season.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
How time goes by.

They were ramping up the training for the trip to Albury today.

According to J Lance he and Horne are the contenders for inside centre - didn't say so in so many words but he didn't mention anybody else as his rival, only Rob.

Folau is not training anywhere but fullback.

There was familiar face at training today and I couldn't place him—he looked like Leo Cullen the Leinster and ex-Ireland player.

It was Leo—he was here watching the Tahs train for a week or two as he will be retiring soon and wants to coach so he hooked up with his old Leinster coach Michael Cheika. (Leinster doesn't play again until 9th Feb.)

After recovering from his handshake I said he was a long way from home and, was he getting some pointers from Cheika?

He said "No he's getting pointers from the other guy." (himself)

I laughed and said to work on his suntan—he's as white as a ghost.
Geez, Cullen was just playing in that Heineken Cup match in Swansea on the weekend wasn't he?

He's taking over as forwards coach in light of Jono Gibbes departure to Clermont I think I heard from some commentators

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^ Lee, Has Andrew Mehrtens been sighted at training? Greg Clark tweeted that he would be giving the Tahs some kicking tips this season.

I haven't seen him but I asked Darryl Gibson about who the goal kickers were going to be and he said Mehrtens was going to coach them. He will probably help them to decide.

No doubt the candidates will all "have a shot" at the job in the trial games as part of the decision. As I have mentioned a few times: this is going to be a potential disaster for the Tahs which not many journos have talked about (but may now).

I also asked him about left-foot kickers from hand and he was a bit embarrassed by his answer: they didn't really have one; which we all knew.

I forgot to mention that Gibson said the Tahs were just looking at Lance as an inside centre, which backs up what Lance said. Both Gibson and Lance mentioned that the two brought contrasting styles to the position.

Gibson also said that they would be loath to play Izzy anywhere but at fullback.

I may go through my sound recording of the presser and write a blog on it; so stay tuned.

T

TOCC

Is Jono Lance a kicker, i seem to remember he kicked for UQ a couple of years back

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I wouldn't read too much into who plays where in the trails, everyone will get a chance (as usual) and with the length of the season, everyone will get an opportunity.

Who plays where in the first game? meh

Who is left standing for the last game will be more important

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You'd think that the Tahs are choosing between Beale, McKibbin, Foley, and Lance for the kicking duties.

Given that three of those players could easily be outside the starting XV, if someone kicks really well during the trials, they could elevate themselves into the starting XV based on that necessity.

It would be great if Foley could show himself to be the first choice kicker so he can start in the 10 jersey and none of our selections are compromised by the need to pick a kicker.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
None of those place kickers fill me with confidence. Without a 90% kicker its going to be tough to secure a home finals spot, we missed out on about at least 8 or so points last year due to poor kicking and something similar this year will be disastrous.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's been a while since the Tahs had a really reliable kicker.

Peter Hewat was good for a while and before him, Matt Burke.

It's definitely a recurring theme amongst Australian franchises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom