• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
Outside center is an issue for the Tahs. You have options but it is most likely they will be plucked from other starting positions which will disrupt your combinations.

Hooker is the biggest issue though.

I thought the Tahs had good stocks at lock. What you need is one to put his hand up and step up.

Assuming Beale plays 12, that leaves Horne benched and covering Inside and Outside Centers. Not a terrible option if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) gets injured or moved further out to cover injuries. I don't see OC as being particular weakness in depth, but hooker... :-(

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think Hooker is a massive problem, TPN went down with a head knock again in the first trial against the Blues, i know its been said before, but there should be some serious concerns about his health.
I think Latu is good and will do well

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Lineout had some luck with TPN throwing poorly, with several tap downs and second grabs. Lineout more effective under Latu, who threw straight and flat.
I think that Tolu Latu is a great talent, but watching him play many times for Uni I frequently commented to anyone who would listen - I think there were at least two of them - and others who wouldn't - their names are legion - that his flat throw left little margin for error. I much prefer to see more of the parabolic arc style, so that if there is a breakdown in synchronicity between thrower and jumper there is more time and opportunity to adjust.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think that Tolu Latu is a great talent, but watching him play many times for Uni I frequently commented to anyone who would listen - I think there were at least two of them - and others who wouldn't - their names are legion - that his flat throw left little margin for error. I much prefer to see more of the parabolic arc style, so that if there is a breakdown in synchronicity between thrower and jumper there is more time and opportunity to adjust.

Flat to the front, a nice arc anywhere else, especially on a delayed ball. Surprisingly hard, or it seems so.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So what's the deal with young H Jones, Lee? (or anyone else)
1621706_10152166892245675_467998308_n.jpg

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I've seen him training for the NSW Colts hopefuls—they're the team that will represent NSW at the National Under 20s Championships next month in Canberra and the national team will be picked from that. But that was a few weeks ago now.

For people who don't know the details see the blog I did a month ago here: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/new-aussie-competitions-part-ii-under-20s/

He's looked OK in the training sessions I saw but it's hard to tell without seeing him play in the trial games these guys are having to make the team.

Unfortunately I missed the trial game on Saturday; so maybe someone who was there can tell us how Harry played, provided he made the first cut.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What are your expectations?
He is a well credentialed colt.I wouldn't be rushing him.

None really - just saw this photo on Facebook and hadn't seen any banter so was curious.
I have a lot of time for him and think he is one of the more complete footballers I have ever seen at his age but for all boys like him what happens between November last year and his 21st birthday will determine his rugby future.
He looks like he's been doing the hard yakka though.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
My first XV to face the Force would be;

1. Robinson
2. TPN
3. Kepu
4. Douglas
5. Skelton
6. Dennis (s)
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Betham
12. Beale
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Alofa
15. Folau

16. Latu
17. Tilse
18. Ryan
19. Potgieter
20. McCutcheon
21. McKibbon
22. Lance
23. Horne

The Great Bagsby

Bob McCowan (2)
None really - just saw this photo on Facebook and hadn't seen any banter so was curious.
I have a lot of time for him and think he is one of the more complete footballers I have ever seen at his age but for all boys like him what happens between November last year and his 21st birthday will determine his rugby future.
He looks like he's been doing the hard yakka though.

think nothing of it, Kellaway injured and by the end of the Waratah A trial half the team was colts

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Was at school last year and played for Oz Schools.

He's a good player as most Oz Schoolboys outside backs are, but his big point of difference is that he can kick the ball a mile with both feet.

Salient, given the aforementioned absence of a left-foot kicker in the squad.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Salient, given the aforementioned absence of a left-foot kicker in the squad.
We're not talking about the Waratahs' squad Richo, but the NSW Colts (Under 20) squad.

But his ability to kick long with both feet (and not at the same time smart-arse Bruce) plus his ability to slot long kicks at goal (right foot only) would have him penciled in for the future as a promising player with something different.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm still not convinced with Beale at 12. Great for attack, but defensively. hmmm.

Would rather have Horne in there for round 1 to blunt the Force attack - because Beale giving his outside shoulder to Godwin gives me the runs.

yes, as rebels fan and watcher of beale (when he was available) for the last two years, his defence is indifferent at best and pretty woeful most of the time, even given his bad shoulder last year. i should think that the force back row and goodwin will be running down his channel all day

Status
Not open for further replies.