• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
Well you can never tell with injuries and I'm no fan of Betham's but he and Horne are test players.
The only time I saw him play NRC - in the very heavy rain at Coogee - he was actually worse than he'd been in the brief time he had in s15: but IIRC that was the first game so I'll go with your impression until I see otherwise.
Taqele was pretty good when I saw him with the Rams, but I suspect Kellaway will be a better option than him on the bench. Horne and Betham starting, for mine.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think you can lock in Horne and Betham to start, with Taqele on the bench. Kellaway still has a long way to go before he's ready to play with professional adults, as I saw him (at the ground) in the Shute Shield twice later last year and when getting the ball on or just before the defensive line he just stopped dead (no step, no swerve - not keen to make contact). His finishing is impressive as we saw in the U20s and the NRC, though you don't get the same space in S15s as you might at the lower or junior level.

I think his positional play defensively is sound on the wing, though again there's more to be done in committing to either player X or player Y when it's not 1-on-1. This was pretty clear when he played fullback at North Sydney Oval.

Certainly looking forward to him starring for Gen Blue, and coming onto the bench when he's further developed (by those pretty handy developers we know and love) - though it remains to be seen if he can be more than just a bloody good finisher at S15 level.

Taqele also needs to do finishing school before he's ready to challenge for Betham's wing. Not sure what he's like under the high ball, and can he turn faster than Nadolo/Sailor? I'd like to see him take pressure off the forwards as much as possible (the way Tuqiri did, especially in 2007), and again he's in good hands at the Tahs.

I like Betham when he's hot, he can be awesome (eg. NPC a couple of years back) but when he makes one error it's often followed by 2 or 3 more. He loves combining with Izzy, and I look forward to some exciting play as long as he can keep himself fit.

Go Tahs!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yes they created space on the outside by running straight and second touches

Tombs was a poor man's Horan - and in saying that I may be damning him with faint praise because IMO he got the better of Horan in a number of State of the Union clashes, having said that Horan is the best 12 I've seen.
Makes you realise how much cross field running is tolerated in the name of genius at the moment.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Tombs was a poor man's Horan - and in saying that I may be damning him with faint praise because IMO he got the better of Horan in a number of State of the Union clashes, having said that Horan is the best 12 I've seen.

I agree, as with Wells. But I also think they had the benefit of a very wise coach back then that had them playing awesome ball in hand rugby. Plus they had the test back three at the time.

Horan - best 12 you've seen, yes and in my eyes his best test rugby was played under the same coach.

rimmerdee

Stan Wickham (3)
I think we'll see a fair bit of both Kellaway and Naiyaravoro in 2015.

Last year an excellent performance in the trials by Alofa and an injuyry to Betham ended up earning Alofa a starting spot all season.

Easy to foresee something similar happening for either of those guys this year.

Rumour has it Naiyaravaro will be wearing a blue jersey in 2015. It just may not be a Tahs one.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
By my count we've lost 5 players from the 36 squad members from 2014 (35 originals plus Hoiles who came in as an injury reserve for Chapman). They are Matt Lucas, Michael Hodge, Alofa Alofa, Kane Douglas and Cam Crawford.​
We've already gained three in Hoiles, Kellaway and Sam Lousi so there should be two spots left.​
Auvasa Faleali'i would seem likely for the third halfback role leaving one spot.​
Based on what we've seen, Jack Dempsey, Henry Clunies-Ross, Jim Stewart, Dave Porecki and Matt Philip are all training with the squad.​
I really like the look of Jim Stewart so I'd sign him as another centre.​
Also, does anyone know who the guy is between Mike Ala'alatoa and Tolu Latu?​
B6j2yiwCcAAHN1j.png

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So for anyone that cares, the mystery guy in the photo above is Thierry Marcial Kounga Kuate.

He played in the 2014 Vodacom Cup for Valke. Unsurprisingly, he's a prop.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hold the "unsurprisingly": he's shorter than TPN - are we going back to the days of Tommy the Turtle Lawton (no bad thing!)

If he can play THP, we could have an incredibly short front row of Robbo, Latu and Kuate. At 183cm, Robbo would be a veritable giant amongst them.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If he can play THP, we could have an incredibly short front row of Robbo, Latu and Kuate. At 183cm, Robbo would be a veritable giant amongst them.

So we're going to tunnel under them?
I do believe that Crockett would be even worse when confronted with this approach but thats only 1 game.

Status
Not open for further replies.