• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hi and welcome You must be new here.

You got the answer correct with your second point:

2/ The Tahs, and their current players, their future players, their current coaching regime, their past coaches and players, their children will all be discovered through detailed research and absorbing analysis to have taken part in every sporting disaster over the past 100 years. If this occurs the there is likely to be some very sad, cringing employees

Aside from the anomaly of 2014 it appears the Tah have moved on from the under performance status quo they had establish over nearly two decades to a new level of under performance progressively since 2015.

As one of the most heavily topped up teams financially, and with that a perception of receiving favourable treatments, mixed in with a climate of rugby in general suffering performance issues and financial issues key (only) success of the Waratahs in 2017 is become the poster child of what’s wrong with rugby in the country.

As an example of what to expect, most will focus the fact that in 2018 the ARU will top up the Tahs more with further imports (even though potentially 20% of the Aussie Super Rugby players will lose their jobs due to cutbacks) with the key facilitator being the ex- Tahs coach and now Wallabies coach. This seem to be the only performance improvement measure that is know at this time.

Again welcome and feel free to contribute to the discussion.

giphy.gif

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Is this, from Dean Mumm and quoted today by Iain Payten in news.com.au online sources, perhaps the most revealing emanation all weekend from the Tahs and their coaches (my emphasis):

Mumm said the Waratahs’ “consistently poor” defence was a symptom of a need for the Waratahs to cut ties with the fading success of 2014, and to forge a strong new culture out of the current adversity.
“Defence is a reflection of the strength of your culture and your ability to dig in for each other,” Mumm said.
“We can say all we want on that front but perception is reality when you look at the numbers.
“There comes a time when you can no longer rest on what has been.
“It’s been a good couple of years after a win now, and a lot of the remnants of that culture are gone now.
“So the establishment of a new culture becomes really important. And culture matters. Ultimately you look at the teams under threat this year, the Force is an example. The Kings is a really good example.
“They’ve united under adversity, and it’s really powerful.
“There is an opportunity here now for the Waratahs to establish a new culture.
“We need to get a level of integrity back into the way we play, and you earn respect from the way you play, not what you have done previously.”

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Is this, from Dean Mumm and quoted today by Iain Payten in news.com.au online sources, perhaps the most revealing emanation all weekend from the Tahs and their coaches (my emphasis):

i like mumm but he was a core part of that bullshit he's quoted for there. laziness in defense became one of his key features. enemy teams loved targetting him as they knew he would not put in the hard yards around the ruck or to realign.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I have to say the anti-Tahs bitterness of the likes of MST, and their delight in kicking a team when they're down, just makes it all the sweeter when the boot's on the other foot.

The Tahs have been 8 times in the Super finals series, and won one, which compares with teams like the Hurricanes (8 finals, 1 win) Highlanders (7 finals, 1 win), and the Sharks and Stormers without a win, none of whom seem to be labeled perennial underperformers.

Anyway, keep up the hate fella, if that's what makes you happy.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Whoa there Froggy, maybe they care more than you - just sayin'...

And for the record, the Hurricanes and Stormers have both been widely regarded as their respective countries' perennial underperformers.

Meanwhile Gibbo's media release about making the squad watch the Brumbies final disturbs me greatly, in that he still has influence after his Richard-Graham-level performance over two years. Off the top of my head I can't recall an Aussie super side actually improving by promoting an assistant coach - though I could be wrong (Larkham?).

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Whoa there Froggy, maybe they care more than you - just sayin'.

And for the record, the Hurricanes and Stormers have both been widely regarded as their respective countries' perennial underperformers.

Meanwhile Gibbo's media release about making the squad watch the Brumbies final disturbs me greatly, in that he still has influence after his Richard-Graham-level performance over two years. Off the top of my head I can't recall an Aussie super side actually improving by promoting an assistant coach - though I could be wrong (Larkham?).
Was listening to a sports show on radio this arvo, the guys are predominantly league guys, when the tahs came up.
They were saying how they were flogged by 40+ last 3 games, which brought the number of 40+ floggings to 7 for the year. Compared to 12 in their entire history.
They were gobsmacked the coach survived, and were certain that he couldn't turn things around.
Sometimes when you are not close to a problem, certain things stick out.....

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I have to say the anti-Tahs bitterness of the likes of MST, and their delight in kicking a team when they're down, just makes it all the sweeter when the boot's on the other foot.

The Tahs have been 8 times in the Super finals series, and won one, which compares with teams like the Hurricanes (8 finals, 1 win) Highlanders (7 finals, 1 win), and the Sharks and Stormers without a win, none of whom seem to be labeled perennial underperformers.

If we only kicked the Tahs when they were up or middling we'd need to find a couple of other hobbies to pass the time....like watching out for Halley's commit

Reactions: dru

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

Ah, gee. :oops: I cant take the credit because if you hop over in to the Brumbies forums you will soon find out that my criticisms (or putting the boot in) is not exclusively reserved for the Tahs, nor any one team actually.

I may have, as times, been known to be a wee bit (a lot) critical of the Brumbies and a certain coach that I would be super happy if he moved on to his Wallabies job about a year ago.

Rugby across the Super Rugby level and above need to be better than it is right now and I am sick of excuses and the inability to face reality. Not sure if i am right, but I say what I believe.

I must say though I am starting to like this Gibbo bloke. That's so diabolically twisted and cruel I love it.

We fans suffer voluntarily (I think its a habit thing) to watch our team limp to an occasional victory - most of the time in slow motion like watching sloths play rugby; (so on the weekend the white stationary dots will be the Brumbies, the yellow blurry one quickly moving across the screen will be the Canes. You will be able to pick the Brumbies attack - it will be like the old space invaders - one pixel line advancement at a time across the screen!)

But to force people to watch it without being able to channel surf and have to pay attention - nasty!

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
lol Grey going to review his own performance.

Wow - I'm sure he'll be super negative. But that's ok, because the National Defence Coach could come in and supervise the process and offer a unbiased 2nd review......oh wait. Grey answers to noone, is the 'leading defensive expert' - please tell me there is SOMEONE who can review his performance from a position of authority. Oh of course..CHEIKA...his best mate. perfect.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I think the Tahs have tentatively put in place Gibson's replacement. If things go to shit early next year I expect to see Cron given the opportunity to step up.

Meanwhile Gibbo's media release about making the squad watch the Brumbies final disturbs me greatly,

The logic is there

"I plan to get them together in two weeks' time and watch the final and really see what it is we have to do to transform ourselves and see those two teams that are in the final," Gibson said. "We'll be starting that process shortly.
"One of the transformation processes is the sooner you start, the sooner you can get on with doing it. I don't see any reason why we should wait until January for that process to start.

(I don't know if it will work, but it does set the bar as to the effort needed)

Reactions: mst

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Mumm said the Waratahs’ “consistently poor” defence was a symptom of a need for the Waratahs to cut ties with the fading success of 2014, and to forge a strong new culture out of the current adversity.
“Defence is a reflection of the strength of your culture and your ability to dig in for each other,” Mumm said.
“We can say all we want on that front but perception is reality when you look at the numbers.
“There comes a time when you can no longer rest on what has been.
“It’s been a good couple of years after a win now, and a lot of the remnants of that culture are gone now.
“So the establishment of a new culture becomes really important. And culture matters. Ultimately you look at the teams under threat this year, the Force is an example. The Kings is a really good example.
“They’ve united under adversity, and it’s really powerful.
“There is an opportunity here now for the Waratahs to establish a new culture.
“We need to get a level of integrity back into the way we play, and you earn respect from the way you play, not what you have done previously.”

Don't know whether to laugh or cry on reading this.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
lol Grey going to review his own performance.

Wow - I'm sure he'll be super negative. But that's ok, because the National Defence Coach could come in and supervise the process and offer a unbiased 2nd review..oh wait. Grey answers to noone, is the 'leading defensive expert' - please tell me there is SOMEONE who can review his performance from a position of authority. Oh of course..CHEIKA.his best mate. perfect.

This actually sums up the whole of Australian rugby - ARU, NSWRU, QRU, ACTRU etc.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)

Gibson such a lightweight.

If he had the cajones he would make the tahs watch every. single.game.

In a marathon.

Followed by each players individual 'lowlights' reel.

Capped with the best of the supporters reactions from each week.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Gibson such a lightweight.

If he had the cajones he would make the tahs watch every. single.game.

In a marathon.

Followed by each players individual 'lowlights' reel.

Capped with the best of the supporters reactions from each week.

And then again in slow motion. And then again in freeze frame.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
"I plan to get them together in two weeks' time and watch the final and really see what it is we have to do to transform ourselves and see those two teams that are in the final," Gibson said. "We'll be starting that process shortly.
"One of the transformation processes is the sooner you start, the sooner you can get on with doing it. I don't see any reason why we should wait until January for that process to start.

How is it that he doesn't already know what is required to succeed at this level? FFS he's been HC for 2 years and AC before that.

And while we're at it, how come the players don't know what's required? Isn't Gibson the one who should have left them in no doubt about what it takes to win before the first training session of the year?

In the real world this would be unbelieveable, but in the parallel universe that is Australian rugby, this passes as normal and acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.