• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah, it's hard to see any hamstring injury allowing him to play the following weekend. He certainly didn't look awful when he came off but certainly wasn't good enough to continue. It also wasn't a case of the game being in the bag so he could come off as a precaution for the next week.

Wasps were lucky to get out of that game with a win and missed Beale in the second half when a lot of their scoring opportunities were bombed.

I reckon Exeter will win next weekend, particularly if Beale is missing.

For Exeter, Dave Dennis was great. Physical with an excellent workrate and strong at set piece.

Another reason why the Tahs have struggled so much this season. A leader and was immense in his last season.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
disagree, Phipps' speed to the breakdown is just so much better,,,, with that you get quicker clearances and that builds momentum and creates opportunities as the bad guys have less time to set their defences.

Quicker clearances where the ball is passed to the grass more like it.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Quicker clearances where the ball is passed to the grass more like it.

There has been very little issue with the clearances, all 9s chuck an average one, but he could greatly limit the issue by taking more time, slowing up the play, taking a few steps etc etc

And then we get the screams from the crowds, to get the ball OUT!

Reactions: dru

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
There has been very little issue with the clearances, all 9s chuck an average one, but he could greatly limit the issue by taking more time, slowing up the play, taking a few steps etc etc

And then we get the screams from the crowds, to get the ball OUT!

an average pass isnt one that 2 or more players need to chase, as it rolls end over end on the deck.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
While i have been very critical in the past, I didn't see many poor passes on Sunday from Phipps. What I did notice was how much slower Gordon was getting to the breakdown, with forwards often having to throw the pass from the scrum base. Don't want to be too harsh on Gordon, I think he's a great talent, but urgency is a trait top 9's must have.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
While i have been very critical in the past, I didn't see many poor passes on Sunday from Phipps. What I did notice was how much slower Gordon was getting to the breakdown, with forwards often having to throw the pass from the scrum base. Don't want to be too harsh on Gordon, I think he's a great talent, but urgency is a trait top 9's must have.

The reason why Gordon is not always there is that he runs a line so that he can be there or thereabouts to back up on the inside if there was a linebreak. This is his strength (try scorer). However Phipps and Lucas run the line in case of dropped ball, they get to breakdown quicker (Phipps is fast) and are therefore more on the ball. In my opinion, Lucas has the best pass, I just wish he would come home, I would if I had been treated like him, but I hear he loves Tahland

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
I'd argue that Phipps' support play is one of his strengths. He is often the guy there backing up a break.

Watch the lines they run. Phipps gets there because he is quicker than most. His only issue is that his pass gets ragged, not necessarily all the time but when he tires (from the ground he covers) or under duress

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Wonder whether Darryl Gibson's job is under pressure. If the Tahs continue losing surely he would be under pressure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Watch the lines they run. Phipps gets there because he is quicker than most. His only issue is that his pass gets ragged, not necessarily all the time but when he tires (from the ground he covers) or under duress

This is why, for the Wallabies at least, he's better off the bench. It's also important that he has a good deputy as he is usually cooked by 60 minutes.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Who are the Tahs losing in 2018? Mumm, Skelton, Horne - anyone else? Ta'avo can go, McDuling so so.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Wonder whether Darryl Gibson's job is under pressure. If the Tahs continue losing surely he would be under pressure.

I would give Gibson more time, but change the support coaches, defense has been atrocious and the while the set piece has improved, the ruck and maul work has been just average

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
In regard to Phipps, he exemplifies all that is wrong with the attitude of Australian players. His passing game is all over the shop and passing is a core skill for a 9, yet despite it being a known deficiency, we have seen no improvement in his ability. Which means either a) even with training he is still shit, so fuck him off or b) he is comfortable and happy to be highly paid for mediocrity and feels no need to put in extra practice to improve, so fuck him off.

I remember hearing Kearns tell a story about how he would go down to the field in his own time and practice throwing the ball at the black stripe on the cross bar for hours. That attitude appears to be missing from Australian players.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Phipps has consistently been the fittest player in the squad. His game is based around speed to the breakdown and clearing the ball.

It would be great if his passing was more accurate but it is being knowingly compromised to speed up delivery.

I would say his accuracy has improved over the last few years. It's more consistent than it was.

I certainly don't want him to slow down. It's the best aspect of his play.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
In regard to Phipps, he exemplifies all that is wrong with the attitude of Australian players. His passing game is all over the shop and passing is a core skill for a 9, yet despite it being a known deficiency, we have seen no improvement in his ability. Which means either a) even with training he is still shit, so fuck him off or b) he is comfortable and happy to be highly paid for mediocrity and feels no need to put in extra practice to improve, so fuck him off.

I remember hearing Kearns tell a story about how he would go down to the field in his own time and practice throwing the ball at the black stripe on the cross bar for hours. That attitude appears to be missing from Australian players.

His passing has improved, but under pressure at test level, when he gets tired it, can get patchy.

What he does offer is the quickest, front foot ball service in the country and that equates to getting over the advantage line more often

Status
Not open for further replies.