• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I think he's a confidence player. Just needed to have one break out game to settle the nerves. Hopefully he'll take well to Cron being on staff now.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

I don't think it was just confidence, though maybe that's part of it. He had a breakout year in Shute and NRC and everyone expected that he would continue improving at the same rate once he hit the Tahs. But it doesn't usually work that way. Far more often growth comes in spurts, followed by a period of consolidation. Sometimes the next spurt never comes, sometimes it does. The NRC will probably give us some idea on how he's progressing, but next year will be critical for his development and the coaching he gets over the pre-season will be crucial.

A work in progress, but I still have high hopes.

T

TOCC

Oh god, please give up on the Folau at 13 concept, he passes less then AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)..

D

daz

Hopefully they sign Meakes and play him at 13. It seems like the best option we have right now.

If you guys don't want him, happy to take him off your hands. Obviously no-one will ever fill Mitch Inman's boots in my eyes, but a Meakes/Hodge centre combo may help dry my tears for 2018.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Bryce Hegarty re-signed for two more years.

Also, Mr and Mrs Braveheart81 signed on for 2018 today.

How like the Tahs. One good announcement and one bad! With all the talent coming away out of the west, why did we rush to sign Hegarty? We could have bid for DHP, Rona, Newsome, Peni, Verty Am, Lance, Masirewa or Morahan. (Assuming Meakes is coming). They surely can't all fit in at the Rebels and Hegarty would have difficulty displacing any of them based on what he showed last season. As I said in my season review, the rot all started with squad recruitment in 2017 and it looks like nothing's changed!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon they know Lance is going to the Rebels (and will start there). With Deegan gone Hegarty makes sense as a playmaking option (but almost certainly behind Mason now as a 10).

Surely they aren't paying Hegarty that much.

I reckon of those Force backs we really need Meakes and if we can land Rona that would be great. Newsome would be a good addition as well.

DHP sounds like he is going to the Rebels and Morahan has gone to England.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Penni would also be a better wing option than Kellaway, TN, and Clark

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Anyone who watches NRC a little more religiously than me know how Mack Mason is tracking? Sure could use a decent backup 10.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Whilst I don't like discussing nabbing the Force players, both Richie Arnold and Phillip had awesome games on the weekend. We need some more locks, and we definitely need an eight. Those two + Naisarani could be great gets.

Jimmyjam

Watty Friend (18)
As the Force signings are starting, I reckon our Tah wishlist should be for..

a TH either of Vui or Ainsley
2 Locks out of Coleman, Philip or Arnold
2 o/s backs Pref Meakes, and Rona or Peni etc

With that lot on board we are looking v strong as will all the other squads.

Brumbies need a good back-rower and hooker and they've picked up Naisirani which is a great match.Assuming CL is back they will be very strong across the park. Maybe another winger as well..... Newsome /Verity Am?
Rebels need a better fly-half and hopefully will get Lance. They'll also prob get Coleman and the HP's which will give them a super backline and much better set piece.
Reds could use Hardwick at 7 to go with G Smith.
With the rest of the Force player spread evenly across the squads
Whilst no-one wanted the Force out it should theoretically make all the OZ teams that much stronger going forward. At least it looks that way on paper...

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
McCalman would be good get too considering how often Holloway and Dempsey are injured. I wouldnt mind picking up either of the Rays wingers. Balakana has a bit of Alofa Alofa about him but also rather physical in defence. Latunipulu is a bit of a wrecking ball. Also are we still allowed to sign a marquee? If so Fidow would be good too. Our current crop of wingers a very underwhelming. Kelleway hasn't added an attacking highlight to his reel since 2014, in Shute, NRC or Super Rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.