• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidelineview

Obviously, the solution is to only sign the ones that are going to be successful. Obviously.

Yes, that's the answer, and if there's any doubt that they wont be successful don't sign them for fear of failure. Let the RL Clubs roll the dice and sign them. And if any of the players who coulda been signed end up being successful in RL, the same nervous nellies will become wise in hindsight and become one of the three wise men: Woulda, Coulda and Shoulda.

S

sidelineview

The NRL have got no problems with signing players like Charlie Rourke, Tom Wright and Angus Crichton straight out of school. We're in a competitive market

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As well as the Souths recruits: Adam Doueihi who represented Lebanon with distinction and the other kid from Newington, Tyrone.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The NRL's record of accurate early talent identification is not stellar either - and that in a game which demands a prototypical body and athlete in all but 3 or 4 positions.</p>
Which is why I described it as driven by the fear of missing out.
Tye NRL can afford to drop $ on bad early calls

S

sidelineview

The NRL's record of accurate early talent identification is not stellar either - and that in a game which demands a prototypical body and athlete in all but 3 or 4 positions.</p>
Which is why I described it as driven by the fear of missing out.
Tye NRL can afford to drop $ on bad early calls

is it fair to describe 18 year olds as ''early talent'' ? In the case of Harrison for example, and because he has played a lot of junior Club and school rep rugby, and because he has gone through Randwick's junior development programs, he would have been in the radar for a long time. As reported, its not only his talent that was considered but his attitude and character. Its a calculated risk that might backfire or might be a winner; but the alternative is to do nothing. It's true RL clubs can afford to gamble more with signing ''young'' players but you either roll the dice or you don't. The only restriction is available money to sign young players. Apart from that, good on the governing bodies on being proactive in recruitment.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
is it fair to describe 18 year olds as ''early talent'' ? In the case of Harrison for example, and because he has played a lot of junior Club and school rep rugby, and because he has gone through Randwick's junior development programs, he would have been in the radar for a long time. As reported, its not only his talent that was considered but his attitude and character. Its a calculated risk that might backfire or might be a winner; but the alternative is to do nothing. It's true RL clubs can afford to gamble more with signing ''young'' players but you either roll the dice or you don't. The only restriction is available money to sign young players. Apart from that, good on the governing bodies on being proactive in recruitment.
But it’s so completely haphazard.
Consider what Crichton said they told him.
I’d love to know what you think the Randwick junior development program is: it appears to be little more than approaching Gordon’s juniors who make oz schools and promising them the world. Mind you they did pretty well to get a 3rd grade colts player into the u20s squad, assum8ng that was down to the Wicks and not some other connection (insert sunglass emoji)

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
As well as the Souths recruits: Adam Doueihi who represented Lebanon with distinction and the other kid from Newington, Tyrone.
If Michael Cheika's cousin has no loyalty to rugby, then good riddance. Hope his highly paid agent can find him a gig in league.

IMO Lucas is a way better 10.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Whereas you look at league it’s a lot more common for the best to not have represented Australia at schoolboy level, or even anything past the standard local rep team

To be fair, it's a much bigger code with more players. So you probably will get more diversity and change in rep teams. So many more good players pushing for selection.

But most of the great players were always great, and did play rep football at school. (often in union)

S

sidelineview

But it’s so completely haphazard.
Consider what Crichton said they told him.
I’d love to know what you think the Randwick junior development program is: it appears to be little more than approaching Gordon’s juniors who make oz schools and promising them the world. Mind you they did pretty well to get a 3rd grade colts player into the u20s squad, assum8ng that was down to the Wicks and not some other connection (insert sunglass emoji)

Crichton ? ... that was then; this is now. There's obviously been a concerted effort to improve the development and recruitment of young NSW players and full credit goes to the administrators and coaches etc. No one's been happy with the general state of rugby but credit where credit is due. Selectively approaching Gordon juniors after they make Oz schoolboys? Recruitment is recruitment. No one holds a gun to the players heads. They go where the opportunities are. I'm talking about Randwick's junior development programs for young players. Young teens; before they're old enough to make Oz schoolboys and corrupt the Gordon players. Do your own research ... other Clubs are doing a great job as well in developing their young players. It's called grassroots and we can thank Uncle Huey that Clubs are committed to grassroots development. A 3rds Colts player in the U20s? I cant think who that is. Enlighten us. You shouldn't forget that an assumption is the mother of all f*** ups.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think the fact he was captain of the Australian Schoolboys team is more pertinent than him being a Randwick colts player.
Good luck to him and I wish him well.

I have only ever seen him play 1 game, and have heard he is good.

But one Patrick Pelligrini must be saying WTF. (Yet alone other 10's running around and winning games in firsts colts)

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
This year Maclean Jones, Kelly Meafua and Nick Palmer spring to mind. Why is having no Super Rugby past an attraction at 24?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because people develop at different rates, I just think we limit ourselves too much in Union by having this theory that young is better.

The great man in my profile pic peter hewat was what 27 when he debuted? And managed to score the same amount of points as the great Matt Burke did in about 1/3 of the time

And those guys you mentioned they aren’t serious signings, they’re glorified tackling bags they weren’t signed because Gibson was keen to get them into the team they’re just squad fillers

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Crichton ? . that was then; this is now. There's obviously been a concerted effort to improve the development and recruitment of young NSW players and full credit goes to the administrators and coaches etc. No one's been happy with the general state of rugby but credit where credit is due. Selectively approaching Gordon juniors after they make Oz schoolboys? Recruitment is recruitment. No one holds a gun to the players heads. They go where the opportunities are. I'm talking about Randwick's junior development programs for young players. Young teens; before they're old enough to make Oz schoolboys and corrupt the Gordon players. Do your own research . other Clubs are doing a great job as well in developing their young players. It's called grassroots and we can thank Uncle Huey that Clubs are committed to grassroots development. A 3rds Colts player in the U20s? I cant think who that is. Enlighten us. You shouldn't forget that an assumption is the mother of all f*** ups.
Maybe you need to follow your own advice and do some research. All you need to do is a bit of cross referencing. PM me if that is beyond you. I’ll get some tips from you on shooting from the hip in exchange.
Edit: in fact there are at least 2 who fit the bill.

S

sidelineview

Maybe you need to follow your own advice and do some research. All you need to do is a bit of cross referencing. PM me if that is beyond you. I’ll get some tips from you on shooting from the hip in exchange.

You're referring to the 2 Randwick players selected in the U20s? OK, I'll play along with it and PM you and you can name them and explain how they made it. Cross referencing for what purpose? You raised more than one point. You referred to Crichton; you referred to the recruitment (you might call it another name) of Gordon juniors after they had made OZ schoolboys as being the sum total of Randwick's development programs and you referred to a 3rds Colts player making the U20s and inferred that Randwick influence made that happen. You sounded sour in your original posting and crooked on Randwick. Maybe you've got your reasons given Gordon juniors have been recruited, poached, cajoled or however you would describe it, but your comment about Randwick's junior development programs was just plain silly. Randwick run excellent programs for their juniors and it looks like quite a few very good juniors will emerge in Colts this year. The result of a lot of hard work. Other Clubs also put in a lot of work developing their juniors and should be congratulated. I'm not sure of the exact details of other Club's development programs but some good people are doing some great work looking after grassroots rugby at Club level. All rugby fans, regardless of their affiliations with any particular Club should be pleased about the efforts put into grassroots rugby by the Clubs. Grassroots for me is junior and school rugby; not SS. Given the fierce competition from other codes, namely RL, soccer and AFL in recruiting the young kids, the Club personnel involved in development are flying the flag for rugby and securing a slice of the pie. The AFL marketing machine is awesome and hard to compete against but how traditional rugby schools ever let AFL in is disappointing. An obligation to being fair, tolerant and PC no doubt. Some kids who were junior ''leaguies'' do switch over to rugby after experiencing the enjoyment of schoolboy rugby but junior soccer and AFL players are gone forever. But I digress from your original points. I'm looking at the big picture.

S

sidelineview

Your profile is limited so I'm unable to PM you. You can PM me with the info. What is beyond me is how you create paragraphs now.

S

sidelineview

I will provide the dots but you’ll have to join them up.

Thanks for your cryptic message but you'll need to unrestrict your profile so I can reply. It would be better than naming players on this thread. I can see one player named in the 3rds Colts team list you sent me and who made the NSW U20s but he was returning from a long stint on the sidelines through injury. He's a quality player who didn't need anyone's assistance making the team so you can tick that particular box.

Status
Not open for further replies.