• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Good for the Tahs but I still reckon Mason easily could be the starting flyhalf for any other Australian team right now. Whether or not it’s good for him and Australian Rugby for him to be playing another two years of Club Rugby when he could be playing Super is another matter.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
They sent him back to grade with a fairly strong indication he would not be required again this year. I can’t make up my mind about him.
Not sure they’ve given him enough of a go at the Tahs.
So conflicting signs from them - but that’s probably a good day for the Tahs.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
Article attached.

Bewildering- imagine how much this would I cost.. to learn how to lose. They have to learn how to catch, kick and pass first!

http://www.thecoachingroom.com.au/blog/why-waratahs-ceo-andrew-hore-is-learning-how-to-lose

Yep. I just showed that article to my dad and we both had the same initial reaction - that it just had to be a parody. I wonder how excited the Waratahs were after their last game at the prospect of scoring points in their next one?

There was one useful gem in there, though. There's no room in sports for psychologists. Those people have degrees, dammit, and they're competing for that guy's business!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
They sent him back to grade with a fairly strong indication he would not be required again this year. I can’t make up my mind about him.

Playing grade does not mean he isn't training with the team\squad all week; it means he is getting game time in grade while training all week with the squad

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

at 22 he needs game time at the level they are looking at playing him.

I don't really understand this. They have a squad of 37 players according to the website and no current injuries in the position Mason plays.

He is not in their matchday 23 currently but I don't think that is any indication they have gone cold on him etc.

He'll get more Super Rugby experience when he is needed due to injury or because he pushes a current player out of the 23.

I don't really see how a team can give fringe players more experience without compromising their ability to win games.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
While i largely agree BH you definitely need to take a punt on some players at some point.
That's true to a point, but leading into our NZ games, and still leading the conference, now doesn't seem the right time to see how they cope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
At this point you're really asking whether you want to play Mason ahead of Bryce Hegarty in the 23 whose form has been very good this season.

I don't think Hegarty will ever be a fantastic player but he's also only 25. It's not like we're treading water with a 30 year old when Mason should be playing.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
At this point you're really asking whether you want to play Mason ahead of Bryce Hegarty in the 23 whose form has been very good this season.

I don't think Hegarty will ever be a fantastic player but he's also only 25. It's not like we're treading water with a 30 year old when Mason should be playing.

How much are we risking if we sub Hegarty off in the 60th for a game that's already done and dusted to give Mason some game time from 10/15?

The season is fucked anyway. I guess we'll probably somehow make the finals by being the least terrible and get promptly belted. At least if we developed some players some good would come out of the season.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How much are we risking if we sub Hegarty off in the 60th for a game that's already done and dusted to give Mason some game time from 10/15?

The season is fucked anyway. I guess we'll probably somehow make the finals by being the least terrible and get promptly belted. At least if we developed some players some good would come out of the season.

Probably not a lot by having Mason in the 23 jersey instead of Newsome. The versatility of the backline would cover the options (Foketi to 13, Rona to 14 in the event of an injury to a winger).

I think Newsome has lots of upside too so we're sacrificing something by not playing him as well.

We're on top of the conference. Clearly we are very unlikely to win the competition given the gap to the NZ teams but realistically that would be suggesting that we call every season a lost cause and for development purposes only unless we look like we are likely to win the comp.

We would have written off the 2014 season on the same basis at this stage with that mentality.

I'm not really sure why there is the sudden need to give Mason more opportunity. It's not like he is dominating Shute Shield to such an extent that the competition offers him nothing further.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
My memory may be faulty but the 2014 season didn't involve being kept scoreless for the first time in history and we were definitely one of the form teams by this point in the season.

That comparison is a bit of a stretch.

And we need to give Mason time because we don't have many 10s banging about.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There's no doubt that was a dismal performance against the Lions. It's one game though. How they bounce back against the Blues this weekend will be telling in terms of the overall season.

After 8 games in 2014 we had the same number of wins with one more loss.

It seems clear that as this point the preferred backup 10 is Beale or Hegarty. Presumably Mason comes into the frame if one of Foley, Beale and Hegarty gets injured. I don't really understand the desperation to bring him in now. I think it would be different if the thought was that Mason is the starting 10 if Foley goes down but that is not the current thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.