• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Looked ordinary unfortunately. First carry he trundled into contact with poor body height and got stripped within 2 seconds. ( By a sharks back if my memory is correctly.)

No noticeable impact in the scrums and don't recall any defence of note, mind I was watching it live and was a bit dozy towards the end.

Cannot see ANY reason to pick him in front of Vui ever again. Our scrum hopes rest on Kepu and Latu being fit and picked.

One highlight was Hanigan in the Super Rugby He was excellent around the park and in the line-out. Low-light was the woeful lack of impact from Staniforth, he seriously folds like a wet lettuce leaf whenever he goes into contact. He is starting to make Simmons look like a big hitter. I have a feeling we are heading towards a starting Super Rugby pairing of Palmer and Hanigan. What I'd give to sign up say a Matt Philip + either of the Arnolds. Tahs have too many hookers, no decent second rowers. Crazy! Brumbies have too many Super Rugby and no decent hookers.. There has to be a deal there somewhere...

Staniforth is Simmons mk2. His problem in contact is technique, he stops and in anticipation for contact corrects his body height to maximize ball retention. Reminds me of a lot of forward play around the turn of the century. Iv seen him run into contact numerous times at NRC level, with some fairly good results. I wonder if it’s a confidence thing, or is quite reserved in nature and would rather not stuff up than dominate. Simmons is a solid super player but by having a similar player in partnership it’s a recipe for the other team dominating the contact zone.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Staniforth is Simmons mk2. His problem in contact is technique, he stops and in anticipation for contact corrects his body height to maximize ball retention. Reminds me of a lot of forward play around the turn of the century. Iv seen him run into contact numerous times at NRC level, with some fairly good results. I wonder if it’s a confidence thing, or is quite reserved in nature and would rather not stuff up than dominate. Simmons is a solid super player but by having a similar player in partnership it’s a recipe for the other team dominating the contact zone.

Throw in a back-row of Hanigan, Wells and Hooper and we are literally never going to crash over the gain-line (ignoring the odd Kepu run when he's back).

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Really? I saw him in actions several times last season in the NRC for NSW Country and I'm struggling to recall anything other than what we're seeing at present for the Tahs. Plenty of touches. Sure. But little to no impact in the contact.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Throw in a back-row of Hanigan, Wells and Hooper and we are literally never going to crash over the gain-line (ignoring the odd Kepu run when he's back).

Hanigan has looked much stronger in contact in the two games this year and I’m not sure what you watch if you don’t think hooper crashes over the gain line.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The concept of locks being quality crash ballers is a bit skewed, a near 200cm bean pole is not what you would consider the most likely to break down a solid defensive line.

Staniforth always makes himself available, he has an excellent work rate, but he isn't being selected because of his ability to break tackles.

He can improve his technique, leg drive, body position and I guess he will over time.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The concept of locks being quality crash ballers is a bit skewed, a near 200cm bean pole is not what you would consider the most likely to break down a solid defensive line.

Staniforth always makes himself available, he has an excellent work rate, but he isn't being selected because of his ability to break tackles.

He can improve his technique, leg drive, body position and I guess he will over time.

Umm..........once upon a time that may have been true but those days are well and truly gone the way of the Dodo. Locks aren't just lineout winners and scrummagers anymore. They have to contribute with ball in hand to be considered effective. Without that they are more or less passenger in today's game. Same for Props. They need to be able to carry to and beyond the gain line. Touching the ball 20 times a game without having an impact on the play isn't going to cut it anymore.

As for improving his overall technique etc. He could. It's a matter of whether he will. I've seen similar arguments made about Ben Alexander come scrum time. Yet, nothing has changed on that front.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Last week the Tahs had a number 8 who didn't make tackles, didn't run the ball and didn't really do much of anything until he was replaced.

I think there are bigger issues in the Tahs pack than Staniforth currently. It would be great if he could run the ball more aggressively but at least he is getting through a solid workrate.

The Tahs problem is they don't have any superstar locks. Staniforth is still going to make the starting XV for the time being. Hopefully Rob Simmons returns soon and potentially once Dempsey is available our best XV will involve Hanigan and Simmons at lock.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Last week the Tahs had a number 8 who didn't make tackles, didn't run the ball and didn't really do much of anything until he was replaced.

I think there are bigger issues in the Tahs pack than Staniforth currently. It would be great if he could run the ball more aggressively but at least he is getting through a solid workrate.

The Tahs problem is they don't have any superstar locks. Staniforth is still going to make the starting XV for the time being. Hopefully Rob Simmons returns soon and potentially once Dempsey is available our best XV will involve Hanigan and Simmons at lock.

Wish we had've flown in a big Fijian backrower rather than prop.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Umm....once upon a time that may have been true but those days are well and truly gone the way of the Dodo. Locks aren't just lineout winners and scrummagers anymore. They have to contribute with ball in hand to be considered effective. Without that they are more or less passenger in today's game. Same for Props. They need to be able to carry to and beyond the gain line. Touching the ball 20 times a game without having an impact on the play isn't going to cut it anymore.

As for improving his overall technique etc. He could. It's a matter of whether he will. I've seen similar arguments made about Ben Alexander come scrum time. Yet, nothing has changed on that front.

It is always about pack balance, I would be just as happy if just keeps tackling and cleans out hard

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
It is always about pack balance, I would be just as happy if just keeps tackling and cleans out hard

Yes, but. Our problem, Hooper aside, is that we have four positions where all the available players keep tackling and cleaning out hard. So, there is no balance. The one bright light is that Hanigan seems to have upped his physicality, so he at least is more than a workhorse. But that is still a work in progress, encouraging though it is. Too many workhorses means no balance at all. Name me one NZ team where the back five are ALL powderpuff workhorses. Look at the Brumbies, Reds and Rebels. All three of those teams have got a couple of real power players who can bust the line and get the team onto the front foot.

We chose not to recruit any (except maybe Meafua but we have seen almost nothing of him).

T

TOCC

Waratahs are at 49% for getting across the advantage line, the lowest figure in the competition. The next lowest is 57% and the most effective teams for getting across the advantage line are the Rebels and Crusaders are at 69%.. That figure of 49% is a significant outlier, they also have the second lowest number of tackle busts in the competition.

More or less supports what everyone has been saying so far.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Unfortunately even if he does it the whole time (not saying he does) he is only 1 out of 8 forwards, we really do need Keps, Dempsey and a big lock out there too...

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Wish we had've flown in a big Fijian backrower rather than prop.

We do have a big Fijian backrower............ except......

1. He plays on the wing
2. He's not in the 23

But geez he can dent the line when he gets some speed up, problem is the rest of his game.

I'd find a way to have him in the 23 though based on the inability of anyone else to do that particular job.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
We do have a big Fijian backrower.... except..

1. He plays on the wing
2. He's not in the 23

But geez he can dent the line when he gets some speed up, problem is the rest of his game.

I'd find a way to have him in the 23 though based on the inability of anyone else to do that particular job.
You'd have to think running him in a digby style roaming roll would take some of the pressure of the pack and get a bit of momentum going that they could build off

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
You'd have to think running him in a digby style roaming roll would take some of the pressure of the pack and get a bit of momentum going that they could build off

It appears that there is at least one person who doesn't get that.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Or just using him at all? Fine, his all round game is flawed. At least he can catch a ball, unlike Kellaway.

I've completely gone off Kellaway. A few years ago i was excited about him. He seemed an unpolished prospect. He's just gotten worse.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Naiyaravoro has more often then not provided great impact off the bench, often leading to tries. Whhhhyyyy oh why in this lightweight team is he not being utilised.

Status
Not open for further replies.