• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think we have learnt to keep Hollaway in the game he plays lock. Stick him in the backrow and he goes fades out
Yes, it is probably a positional thing with him, although I am hoping now he’s got his confidence back by playing lock he could move back to 8 and show his preinjury form. He looked to be playing pretty wide a lot of the time in the channel inside from Taqele so maybe changing the number on his back wouldn’t mean too much.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yes, it is probably a positional thing with him, although I am hoping now he’s got his confidence back by playing lock he could move back to 8 and show his preinjury form. He looked to be playing pretty wide a lot of the time in the channel inside from Taqele so maybe changing the number on his back wouldn’t mean too much.

I am essentially conservative, he has improved markedly when moved to lock, he plays tighter has a higher workrate and that work is more effective.

Let's keep him at lock

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I am essentially conservative, he has improved markedly when moved to lock, he plays tighter has a higher workrate and that work is more effective.

Let's keep him at lock
Fair enough, it just seems tempting if we sign a powerful lock to pair with Simmons to throw him into the back row for a game to see how he goes.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It is interesting how things come at you from left field. Although I had seen him play there occasionally, I had never figured that Holloway might be that dynamic, physically dominant lock. But in the Rebels game I thought he was good (though Philip was way better) and last night he was excellent. How he plays in the next 3-5 weeks will reveal whether he is the second lock for next year with Staniforth and McCauley on the pine. I would still try to buy one of the spare locks, even those who are half way through a contract because we are still weak at 4/5. I would purchase Lukhan Tui, Matt Philip, Rory Arnold, Blake Enever and Richie Arnold in that order. Before anyone starts yelling, QLD is in a huge bind with Thorne having sidelined so many contracted players and my guess is they may agree to Tui returning home to give them some cap relief. Melbourne now look to be under the cap with all their outgoings, but if they buy To'omua or Cooper they would have to be in trouble again. So Philip or Tui are approachable.

Just quietly, Genia/Cooper is the nightmare pairing that the other three teams will be most afraid of.

Hawko reckon you may be right re Tui leaving the Reds.

Agree 100% with your last sentence. Might even chuck Hunt in the mix for a bit of fun

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Hawko reckon you may be right re Tui leaving the Reds.

Agree 100% with your last sentence. Might even chuck Hunt in the mix for a bit of fun

Scrubber you've been pretty quiet about Gibson deserving to be sacked the last couple of months- has he earnt another year?

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Reds forum claims Folau deal North done for next year...Can't find any press on it. Anyone heard anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Scrubber you've been pretty quiet about Gibson deserving to be sacked the last couple of months- has he earnt another year?

No, I haven't. Few rumblings from some but there always is for any coach.

He seems (and his team) to be going pretty well at the moment.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If that does happen, would you guys (the fans) take/accept Hunt to fill the role, if that was a viable option?
I wouldn't. For some reason the prospect of losing Folau doesn't really bother me too much. We've already had most of his best years i suppose.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If that does happen, would you guys (the fans) take/accept Hunt to fill the role, if that was a viable option?

I wouldn't want to at the dollars it would probably require. Not really sure what my preference would be. Hopefully Folau re-signs but deploying the money in other positions might be the best course of action if he does move to Queensland.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I wouldn't want to at the dollars it would probably require. Not really sure what my preference would be. Hopefully Folau re-signs but deploying the money in other positions might be the best course of action if he does move to Queensland.
Left of field suggestion: Use the money to sign Akira Ioane. Apparently cannot be picked for the ABs despite being one of the best loose forwards in the comp. Significantly better than Wells.

I'm sure we can find another nippy outside back floating about.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Does anyone know who we have confirmed signings for the near future?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It does make an interesting question. Who plays 15? If Izzy goes on the back of Heagerty and Kellaway, who is the next option? Will take some good recruitment to find a 15 up to scratch. Even the Force are relying on Grant.

Status
Not open for further replies.