• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sorry. Beale is the obvious one and I’d love to see him get a season at 15.

The just find a 12.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Interestingly, Naivalu seems to be contracted to the Rebels in 2019 and Koroibete appears to be off contract. Wonder if anyone has looked into getting Marika to the Tahs.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Beale is class at 12, wouldn't move him at all. Has played his best rugby in the past few years at 12 and seems to be found out now under the high ball with the ability the outside backs have atm. Hunt i'd believe would be a great option, provides a safe option under the high ball and provides a very good counter kicking option if the need is there.

Interestingly, Naivalu seems to be contracted to the Rebels in 2019 and Koroibete appears to be off contract. Wonder if anyone has looked into getting Marika to the Tahs.

I believe Koroibete is tied up next season. Naivalu as a Rebels fan would be a loss, but as an aus rugby fan think he should look elsewhere for the greater good

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I really cannot see Hunt being picked up by another Aus Super team with 2 previous cocaine "incidents" in the ether. Just too high risk. Shame, because he is a good footballer, no doubt.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Gibson re-signed for one year with the option of a second.

Chris Whitaker signed for two years as an assistant.

Sounds like the plan is for Whitaker to coach the defence, Gibson to move back to attack.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Crazy idea

Use the Taqele money to snipe in for Kerevi and then stick Clarke and Newsome on the wings.

More rounded backline and we still have a big bopper guy.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Crazy idea

Use the Taqele money to snipe in for Kerevi and then stick Clarke and Newsome on the wings.

Kerevi would be a good signing because Rona would become your bigger winger.

I think the problem though is that the Taqele money is not a lot of money which is why he went overseas again.

If he'd waited until late in the season they'd have thrown everything they could at him. He signed to go overseas at a point where there's no way you'd have offered him much for the next season.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Crazy idea

I would prefer to focus on a backrower, prop and lock than a guy who doesn't pass particularly well. We had a pretty fluid backline that works hard for eachother, I don't want that stifled

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't see how backrower is at all on the signing radar. We might not have the power number 8 people would like but we have a good ensemble of players there + Dempsey to return.

There's just no return on spending money there when it is a limited resource and we have other positions of need.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Surprised there hasn't been any interest in Richie Arnold once the Top League season finishes up.

Tahs definitely need a winger or an outside centre so Rona can push out one. Newsome and Clarke isn't going to take the Tahs to the next level.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
We do need a quality winger- I don't think Rona is that effective, he's not overly fast or skilled, more robust in contact.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We do need a quality winger- I don't think Rona is that effective, he's not overly fast or skilled, more robust in contact.

I agree but if the option of recruiting Kerevi came up, I'd happily do that and move Rona to the wing.

Let's say Naivalu did become available, what is a better combination? 13 Rona 14 Naivalu or 13 Kerevi 14 Rona?

Either one would be a substantial upgrade.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
On reflection though I think the former would be stronger - at least our wingers will touch the ball!

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
We need more than just a quality winger or 13 though, we'll have to redesign our game plan without Taqele. His impact was so much greater than scoring 15 tries (as many as that is), the amount of holes his presence opened up on the inside for Rona and Beale was tantamount to the Tahs success during the middle of the Super season. He was also a get out of gaol free card, if we weren't going anywhere in attack we just 'handsed' it to him and he rumbled over a few guys to get the defence back-pedalling and open up space for Folau and co. on the right hand side of the field.

Sure he had his issues in defence (can't recall any teams actually exposing him outright though) but I think people underrated how good he was because there was an expectation due to his size. In the Reds vs Waratahs game at Suncorp he ran over three guys in the space of five metres to score, there's no one other player in the game who can do that yet that was treated as par for course for him. Sefa is a quality player as is Kerevi but we can't sign one of them and expect to top the conference without radically changing how we play the game.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
IF the Tahs can snag a decent (large) second-rower, or two, there's always the possibility Holloway could revert to number 8 and be the bullocking, close-in backrower we all wished he could be. I'd even suggest letting him wear the 5 jumper while packing down at the back of the scrum.

One problem solved. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.