• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
SFS is ‘owned’ by the SCG Trust and protected through the subsequent SCSG Act, selling it would be incredibly difficult and not something they could quietly slip through without repealing or amendments to the existing act.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
SSD generally speaking are privately funded projects. Or public/private partnerships. Which if it were private money or a public/private partnership with the vast majority of the funds not coming from the state budget I'd be far more open to it. Another worry is that they'll spend all this money on rebuilding both stadiums and then sell it off. That's just pure speculation on my behalf but a new asset with little relative outlay is an attract ticket item. Like roads that use public money to be built but then are signed off to a private company for 40+ years.
Transurban are the fucking worst.

I don't think the stadium is on the same level as the on-going Transurban toll road monopoly fiasco. That shit boggles the mind.

The Stadium would not get built unless it was publicly funded. And as a major city we ought to have a modern, functional stadium. And given the % of the budget it represents i don't think it should have been the issue it was made out to be during the election.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
TThe Stadium would not get built unless it was publicly funded. And as a major city we ought to have a modern, functional stadium. And given the % of the budget it represents i don't think it should have been the issue it was made out to be during the election.

The issue for mine was with process more than outcome.

If they announced they were knocking down and rebuilding Allianz for a cost of $700m then I don't think they would have received much backlash.

But they announced Parramatta AND Allianz AND ANZ for a cost of $2.7b (in the first instance), which of course raised a number of eyebrows.

And it all went downhill from there.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
SFS is ‘owned’ by the SCG Trust and protected through the subsequent SCSG Act, selling it would be incredibly difficult and not something they could quietly slip through without repealing or amendments to the existing act.

Not saying that they will but it's something I'd hate to see after the outlay. And changing the law to sell an asset with a majority government isn't that hard.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Tahs live streaming a 'major announcement' in 7 or so minutes. God knows what it could be.

This is the description: The NSW Waratahs will be announcing a major change to their key structures that will change the face of how the rest of the season will be seen, leading into the Rugby World Cup.

Edit: Well this is what it was:

AF gag.PNG

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Tahs live streaming a 'major announcement' in 7 or so minutes. God knows what it could be.

This is the description: The NSW Waratahs will be announcing a major change to their key structures that will change the face of how the rest of the season will be seen, leading into the Rugby World Cup.

Edit: Well this is what it was:

View attachment 10523

Seriously. That has to be one of the worst April 1sts I've ever seen. Quite fitting.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Congrats to the Waratahs for letting more talent leave our shores, clearly someone (and not some nobody, a RWC coach) sees his potential and willing to give him a go, he will do his time in Japan (be a success) and then be given gig in NZ rugby and we will lament the day we kept Gibson for those extra two year (hand in head) but why would he want to stay at the Tahs.

We also had close to the worst scrum in the competition last year and this year it started off terribly as well.

I agree that Cron is highly promising but this concept that we should elevate him to head coach before he's ready so we don't lose him is also a problem.

People make the same argument about promising young players that we should select them for the Wallabies more often to encourage them not to leave.

The threat of leaving can't be an excuse for elevating someone before they're ready.

Cron shouldn't have been the Waratahs head coach this year and I'm also not sure he should have been elevated to head coach next year. If we lose him it will be a shame but it's also pretty clear he would have been a strong chance the year after. If waiting one more year is too much then how long would he have been head coach for anyway?

His CV is less impressive than Whitaker's.

What is there to suggest that elevating Cron to head coach won't come with the same problems with Gibson in his first couple of years or the same issues with Thorn now?

RubixCube

Frank Nicholson (4)
We also had close to the worst scrum in the competition last year and this year it started off terribly as well.

I agree that Cron is highly promising but this concept that we should elevate him to head coach before he's ready so we don't lose him is also a problem.

People make the same argument about promising young players that we should select them for the Wallabies more often to encourage them not to leave.

The threat of leaving can't be an excuse for elevating someone before they're ready.

Cron shouldn't have been the Waratahs head coach this year and I'm also not sure he should have been elevated to head coach next year. If we lose him it will be a shame but it's also pretty clear he would have been a strong chance the year after. If waiting one more year is too much then how long would he have been head coach for anyway?

His CV is less impressive than Whitaker's.

What is there to suggest that elevating Cron to head coach won't come with the same problems with Gibson in his first couple of years or the same issues with Thorn now?

You made some valid points, albeit ones I don't necessarily agree with, and then you said Whitakers CV is better, you cannot use his playing CV as a marker, its a totally different beast. He coached a D2 french team and they came 11th, his Rays team came 8th.
Cron took on a basket case of a team and missed out on finals by one spot, then went back to back (winners and finalist) and took the Rays from 2 wins ever to semi finals in his first year, I think Cron trumps Whitaker on the coaching CV.

I think the point is that, Waratahs are going to lose a very good coach and one that long term could have been a huge asset to the country. lets all hope its just fluff to get some clicks.

Come on the Tahs, but no confident for the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.