• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
That's not surprising but it is interesting in that his last stint over there didn't go so well. From memory he hated and got a release after about 3 months. I'd say he's doing the PI thing and taking one for the team (family) to accumulate a bit of coin before he hangs the boots up.
He was in France before, so it might be a little different.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
6 losing bonus points and 0 BPs for tries tells a bit of a story for the Tahs season.

Not completely dead in the water yet, but it's getting close. Loser of next weeks Reds v Tahs is probably done

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
An option worth considering (if we believe that Mack Mason isn't the best option) is to chase Jordan Jackson-Hope as a long- term fly half option. He's very talented (and probably very cheap!)

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Does Roets get a contract next year?

On the strength of seeing him play one full game and off the bench in another, I'd rank him as a decent Shute Shield player but not more. There are several other SS locks who would outplay him.
I can't see a 'Tah contract in his future, even if Gibson switched strategy and went for huge forwards.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
On the strength of seeing him play one full game and off the bench in another, I'd rank him as a decent Shute Shield player but not more. There are several other SS locks who would outplay him.
I can't see a 'Tah contract in his future, even if Gibson switched strategy and went for huge forwards.

Who do you think are the form second rows in SS?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)

I haven't seen all teams play so I can't answer your question.
However to compare Roets against Manly's opposition, I'd say the Eastwood and Easts locks look better around the ground in defence and attack. I haven't seen him jump in line outs but he is a monster at scrum time.
If set piece is a priority, his push factor in scrums puts him in the frame for higher honours.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)

Connor Vest has been knocking on the door for a long time. Maybe not the biggest guy (probably the same size as Holloway I'd guess) but you can see that he is another one out of the Cron factory with all the smarts and rugby brain. The Tahs would probably want a blue chip lock though with professional rugby experience.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Connor Vest has been knocking on the door for a long time. Maybe not the biggest guy (probably the same size as Holloway I'd guess) but you can see that he is another one out of the Cron factory with all the smarts and rugby brain. The Tahs would probably want a blue chip lock though with professional rugby experience.

His stats list him as being a bit shorter and lighter than Holloway but not too dissimilar.

Vest seems like an unlikely guy to get signed though. You wouldn't think there's a spot for a 25 year old new recruit who is outside your matchday 23. You would think his ceiling is not a long way above what he has already shown.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Agree, Vest is an unlikely signing.
But his floor is 2 grades above the ceiling for the big plodder.

What is the Tahs fascination for big locks that have been passed over in SA?

I recall Hickey drooling about dud Root in his pre season.

How can they get it so wrong?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Wasn't it just a signing to say 'here look, we signed a big bloke like you all wanted'.

He was cheap and they probably never intended to use him much.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

It is pure speculation. Clearly they did get it wrong again.

Ultimately it comes down to how much money they wasted on the signing. Hopefully it wasn't much.

I think there is a mismatch between the club expectations and the media expectations. The media around it makes it seem like a major signing with big expectations when the reality is (hopefully) that they've got a young player who is keen to have a crack here and is on a minimum contract and probably isn't being factored into serious plans around the best 23.

Status
Not open for further replies.