• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Waratahs 2018 thread seems to have morphed into a 2019 thread so I'm starting this one.

Now that we've missed out on Naisirani (again) what are we going to do about our powder-puff locks and backrowers. We seem to have no Palu-type backrowers coming through but lots of workhorses. Dempsey, Hanigan, Wells, Hooper and Miller as the first line with Jones, Swinton and Wilkin as back-ups. I understand Meafua has been shown the door and he was the biggest (kg) candidate we had early on.

At lock we've got Simmons, Staniforth and Holloway as incumbents with McCauley and Palmer in reserve. No impact/power players, just lots of workhorses. Poor Lukhan Tui can't get a start at the Reds but I'd have him at 6 in a heartbeat. NSW did all his development until he was poached by QLD. Someone should eat a large serving of humble pie and empty the bank account for him. Philip would be a good alternative, too. He ran a great audition last week.

We will not win the comp until we put a couple of power-players into our back five. And I cannot think of any other top performing candidates other than the two I've suggested and Valentini, who is at risk of being pushed out of the team by Samu at the Brumbies.

Then you can argue about wingers and outside centres, but they are a third-order issue.

SQUAD LIST TO BE UPDATED:

Hooker:

Damien Fitzpatrick (2019)

Tolu Latu (2019?)
JP Sauni (2019?)

Prop:

Sekope Kepu (2019)
Tom Robertson (2020)
Harry Johnson-Holmes (2020)
Shambeckler Vui (2019)
Cody Walker (2019)
Rory O'Connor (2020)

Lock:

Tom Staniforth (2020)
Rob Simmons (2019)
Jed Holloway (2019)
Ryan McCauley (2020)
Lachlan Swinton (2020)
Le Roux Roets (2019)

Backrow:

Ned Hanigan (2019?)
Michael Hooper (2023)
Will Miller (2019)
Jack Dempsey (2020)
Michael Wells (2019)
Patrick Tafa (2019?)

Scrumhalf:

Nick Phipps (2019)
Jake Gordon (2019)
Mitch Short (2019?)

Flyhalf:

Bernard Foley (2019)
Mack Mason (2020)
Will Harrison (2021)

Centre:

Kurtley Beale (2019)
Curtis Rona (2019)
Adam Ashley-Cooper (2019)
Lalakai Foketi (2019?)

Wing:

Alex Newsom (2019)
Cam Clarke (2019)
John Folau (2019)

Fullback:

Israel Folau (2022)
Karmichael Hunt (2019)

Confirmed Gone:
Paddy Ryan (RETIRED)
Andrew Kellaway (Northampton, ENGLAND)
Taqele Naiyaravoro (Northampton, ENGLAND)
Irae Simone (Brumbies)
Hugh Roach (Rebels)
Brad Wilkin (Rebels)

Bryce Hegarty (Reds)
Matt Sandell (MLR)

Contract Up:

Nick Palmer (2018)
Maclean Jones (2018?)

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Tahs should be chasing at least one of Rory Arnold, Matt Philip or even Luke Jones to bolster the Locks and say goodbye to Staniforth and Palmer.

They should also be having a big go at Naivalu from the Rebels to replace Big T. Rebels are over cap and he is bench cover in their best backline. Also a big hard running Marquee back-rower would really strengthen fill the big gap in the squad.

On my reckoning we are losing quite a few, with confirmed so far being Ryan, Tawake, Meafua, Kellaway, Naiyarvoro and a number of others off contract.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree. I think lock is the biggest area of need to accompany Rob Simmons.

Whilst a different looking backrow might be enticing it just can't be justified with a group that with everyone healthy would be:

6. Hanigan 7. Hooper 8. Dempsey with Wells, Miller etc. waiting in the wings. With that backrow, Holloway should be persisting at lock. He's likely to get more opportunity there.

If you were starting with a blank slate you'd structure it differently but I like the group we have and if Dempsey was fit it would be a very impressive backrow.

Wells and Miller have been superb this season but will hopefully be fighting for a spot on the bench next year.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tahs should be chasing at least one of Rory Arnold, Matt Philip or even Luke Jones

Arnold is contracted to the Brumbies.......... but the other two would be good targets, particularly Philip who is deserving of a regular start somewhere.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Philip is signed until the end of 2019.

Luke Jones is a really good player but he's not the bruising lock we need.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
If Latu starts and Vui comes regularly into the 23 they add a lot more punch to the team.

Subject to any new recruits our best 23 will probably look like this

Kepu
Latu
Robertson
Simmons
Holloway
Hanigan
Hooper
Dempsey
Gordon/Phipps
Foley
Clark
Beale
Rona
Newsome
Folau

Vui
Roach/Fitzpatrick
HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
McCauley/Staniforth
Miller
Phipps/Gordon
Hegarty
Foketi

Bit weak on the wing and Lock, but otherwise a very solid looking squad. Very mobile forwards and strong set piece, just lacking a couple of big ball carriers, we'll really miss Big T as he was a huge match winner this year.......

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Holloway in the second row is a bit of a glaring weakness.

I think he's been pretty good and given our team that's where he's most likely to get a run.

I certainly would want to upgrade from him as a starter next year (for that bruising lock we are going to recruit) but wouldn't mind him being on the bench.

Super Rugby lends itself to a mobile pack.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
On his past couple of games, I'd say Holloway is the in-form lock for the Tahs right now.

What are the prospects of Pat Sio? Is he showing enough in the SS to warrant consideration?

In answer to Hawko, if both players are fit and in form, I think Samu will start at 6 and Valetini at 8 for the Brumbies in 2019. I don't see one being pushed out by the other.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
On his past couple of games, I'd say Holloway is the in-form lock for the Tahs right now.

What are the prospects of Pat Sio? Is he showing enough in the SS to warrant consideration?

In answer to Hawko, if both players are fit and in form, I think Samu will start at 6 and Valetini at 8 for the Brumbies in 2019. I don't see one being pushed out by the other.

Last week was the best game Jed has played in Super Rugby. Hopefully he can keep it up.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
1) Kepu at the end of next year (meaning 2019 is key development year) is a critical recruitment/development priority. Johnson-Holmes is coming along well but I'd like to see another genuine THP that can dominate a scrum coming into the picture. I wish Sam Needs had gone to France for a couple of years instead of Japan to get that seasoning.
2nd Priority for me is a back three kicker now that Kellaway is going. Hegarty is not a long term option.
3rd priority is a back-up for Simmons. Stanniforth and Holloway are good if Simmons is there, but we need another strong set piece lock for both scrum and lineout.
The backrow is fine, though I am a fan of the old school backrow with more balance and a hard runner line breaker at 8 or 6, but if the Tahs play a very fast line speed defence this backrow can make life very difficult for any opposition, they need to make further improvements to accuracy is all.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Gnostic, would you see Hanigan as the back up set piece lock to eventually replace Simmons? Seems to play a very similar style of game, maybe even busier, but I don't know if his scrum work at lock is valued.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Gnostic, would you see Hanigan as the back up set piece lock to eventually replace Simmons? Seems to play a very similar style of game, maybe even busier, but I don't know if his scrum work at lock is valued.

I think he is a step down from Simmons in set piece work, for sure. Most certainly at Super level, Simmons does give you a very solid option in scrum / lineout. Hanigan is decent in the lineout, without being the guy to "run" it, I reckon.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I think he is a step down from Simmons in set piece work, for sure. Most certainly at Super level, Simmons does give you a very solid option in scrum / lineout. Hanigan is decent in the lineout, without being the guy to "run" it, I reckon.
Simmons has been a huge factor at the set piece. Hanigan is a more versatile player who can cover lock and 6. I agree with earlier comments that another true lock is needed. I think Jed has found his position but could do with a Phillip/Arnold/ Coleman type to take over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Tahs should be chasing at least one of Rory Arnold, Matt Philip or even Luke Jones to bolster the Locks and say goodbye to Staniforth and Palmer.

They should also be having a big go at Naivalu from the Rebels to replace Big T. Rebels are over cap and he is bench cover in their best backline. Also a big hard running Marquee back-rower would really strengthen fill the big gap in the squad.

On my reckoning we are losing quite a few, with confirmed so far being Ryan, Tawake, Meafua, Kellaway, Naiyarvoro and a number of others off contract.

I agree with Sefa needing to go, he's a damn good player but for the sake of Australian rugby a move to the Tahs would be a good option. As they say "for the greater good"

Phillip i can't see going as he an Coleman will be odds on to be the Rebels locking pair going forward, probably one of the Brumbies locks would be a good fit. Sefa on the wing and either an Arnold or Enever could transform the Tahs into title contenders.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't know that Blake Enever would add a huge amount for the Tahs. I think he is more the solid set piece lock than the bruiser we need.

He's a good player and he'd probably make our matchday 23 above Tom Staniforth but it wouldn't be a substantial upgrade that I'd pursue strongly.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Richie Arnold would be the ideal target, Brumbies, Reds and Rebels all have pretty strong depth in the lock dept, and I really hate to see starting quality players stuck in a logjam where they aren't really needed, I don't care which franchise, I hate warehousing talent anywhere. Richie is currently behind 3 international locks at the Brumbies (with a good young prospect just signed), Reds have a full book and Rebels have Philip and Coleman with a lot of young talent coming through.... It just makes sense! (so will probably never happen!)

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't know that Blake Enever would add a huge amount for the Tahs. I think he is more the solid set piece lock than the bruiser we need.

He's a good player and he'd probably make our matchday 23 above Tom Staniforth but it wouldn't be a substantial upgrade that I'd pursue strongly.
Agreed but it would still be some improvement, if not minimal.

I think this will be an interesting off season, especially with the WC coming up (players wanting to start every week to put themselves in the best position to go) and the bunch of QLD players that obviously have no future up north.

In a perfect world i'd have

Naivalu and Richie Arnold to the Tahs
Phipps or Gordon to the Reds
Hunt and Ready to the Brums
Slipper and Quade to the Rebels

Unfortunately all very unlikely to pan out like this

Status
Not open for further replies.