• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The most they had last year was a tick over 18k so 23k is a great number. It will be interesting to see how many they get out at the SCG compared to some of the more suburban venues. Perhaps even when Allianz is back in operation the occasional match in clubland won't be so bad for the balance sheet.
Their best crowd was 18k, with a substantial portion being SCG members who pay nothing.
I recall Roy Masters explaining that a full house at Alliance of 44k equated to 27k paying spectators.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Tahs must get some form of remuneration from members, even if indirectly?

That is generally part of the stadium contract to my knowledge.

I don't know if there are extra payments depending on the number of people that turn up.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The Tahs must get some form of remuneration from members, even if indirectly?
It might have some bearing on ground rental,as it’s in SCG’s interest to provide content for their members.

( bearing in mind that they have pretty much had a monopoly for decades)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Gibson has signed a one year extension taking him to the end of 2020. It's hard to know at this point whether that is the right move. It will depend on whether they can keep Cron as an assistant next year.

Chris Whitaker signed for 2 years so they have him locked in for 2020 as an assistant already.

I think another year before potentially throwing Cron in as head coach in 2021 is almost certainly the best move. The question will be whether he is happy to stick by that.

Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is Whitaker any good or is he another Grey?

He's had a fair bit of experience. Assistant at Leinster before joining Cheika at Stade Francais as defence coach just before Cheika left. Whitaker stayed on for 2 years. He has been an assistant and then co-head coach in French Pro D2. His two years as co-head coach at Montauban certainly coincided with their results improving a lot.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Gibson has signed a one year extension taking him to the end of 2020. It's hard to know at this point whether that is the right move. It will depend on whether they can keep Cron as an assistant next year.

Chris Whitaker signed for 2 years so they have him locked in for 2020 as an assistant already.

I think another year before potentially throwing Cron in as head coach in 2021 is almost certainly the best move. The question will be whether he is happy to stick by that.

I don't know why coaches in the Australian system are so desperate to elevate themselves prematurely.

Why the fuck was Larkham HC of the Brumbies? Why was he a Wallabies assistant coach?

Is 2 or 3 seasons as a Super Rugby assistant coach really enough preparation to be Head Coach?

Surely Whitaker is closer to being the Waratahs HC than Cron based upon experience. It wasn't long ago Cron was coaching a bunch of hungover blokes in the Shute Shield.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I don't know why coaches in the Australian system are so desperate to elevate themselves prematurely.

Why the fuck was Larkham HC of the Brumbies? Why was he a Wallabies assistant coach?

Is 2 or 3 seasons as a Super Rugby assistant coach really enough preparation to be Head Coach?

Surely Whitaker is closer to being the Waratahs HC than Cron based upon experience. It wasn't long ago Cron was coaching a bunch of hungover blokes in the Shute Shield.
I don't disagree, but Assistant Super rugby coaches have mortgages to pay like the rest of us

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Big challenges for this year and the following (and quite different) as the guard changes post RWC

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

I really like Simon Cron however people are blowing on his trumpet way too much. This season is only his second in a professional program.

RubixCube

Frank Nicholson (4)
Correct, but he was outstanding with Norths, and turned the mentality of that side around in 2 years from bottom of the table to back to back finals with one win. and Tahs went from missing finals two years in a row, to making the semi finals - coincidence?
I think we get bogged down by “well they have only been a coach for this long, or they only coached this standard of team’ its not like he has come out of the wilderness, he has a history of turning bad teams good, the Rays did not win more than 2 games in the first two year of the NRC, and then went to the semi final in his first year. The guy does not accept mediocrity (listen to his Alan Jones interview post SS win and the what he saw in the shed after a Manly loss, and his foxsports podcast after his semi final lose, great listen and he is rugby mad)
Brisbane put faith in Brad Thorn and he was only an NRC coach Pre Reds gig.
I wish Gibson good luck but I don’t think we are going to see much improvement under his guidance and I think its gonna be a tough two years for the fans (myself included)

Also have just seen the Daily Telegraph piece saying he is a wanted coach and this year will be his last, so well done to the waratahs for potentially letting a future test coach walk, they have such a one dimensional approach and I think this will come back to bite them in the ass in 2021, like the half a dozen players that they let go and have gone and become amazing Super Rugby players and some have been capped (Angus Ta'avao)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Correct, but he was outstanding with Norths, and turned the mentality of that side around in 2 years from bottom of the table to back to back finals with one win. and Tahs went from missing finals two years in a row, to making the semi finals - coincidence?

I think there's also the reality that it takes time to build success at the next level.

Gibson has improved with experience in the head coaching role.

Thorn struggled in his first season as a Super Rugby coach despite winning the NRC before that.

I don't think it is reasonable to attribute all the improvement the Tahs showed last year to the first year forwards coach. Expecting that Cron would then be the best choice as head coach after only two years as an assistant would not be the best decision in my view.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

There was a massive improvement in the performance of the Tahs in the latter half of Gibson's first year with them in 2016.........

The question would be what happened in 2017 that saw them take a step backwards.

so well done to the waratahs for potentially letting a future test coach walk

There are so many of these future test coaches who haven't achieved any top level success yet.........

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)

I think we get bogged down by “well they have only been a coach for this long, or they only coached this standard of team’ its not like he has come out of the wilderness, he has a history of turning bad teams good, the Rays did not win more than 2 games in the first two year of the NRC, and then went to the semi final in his first year. The guy does not accept mediocrity (listen to his Alan Jones interview post SS win and the what he saw in the shed after a Manly loss, and his foxsports podcast after his semi final lose, great listen and he is rugby mad)

I wish Gibson good luck but I don’t think we are going to see much improvement under his guidance and I think its gonna be a tough two years for the fans (myself included)

Also have just seen the Daily Telegraph piece saying he is a wanted coach and this year will be his last, so well done to the waratahs for potentially letting a future test coach walk, they have such a one dimensional approach and I think this will come back to bite them in the ass in 2021, like the half a dozen players that they let go and have gone and become amazing Super Rugby players and some have been capped (Angus Ta'avao)

Is Cron going?

Status
Not open for further replies.